SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been using this site for about a month helping me with my wr250x and this is my first post.

anyway, i have a FMF power core 4 on my wrx and i want to put some DEI heat wrap on it so my girlfriend wont burn her leg. All ive been able to find is people wrapping their header but can you wrap the can/muffler part of the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
All that heat needs somewhere to go, I wouldn't do it. I've heard header wrap is horrible for exhaust packing, im sure it would be an even bigger issue wrapped all the way up the muffler. But then again I've never seen it done so who knows

·
Registered
601 Posts
Other than lookin stupid (at least I think it would, but never know until its done). But from a technical side I don't see anything wrong with it. Your not using it as packing, just wrapping the outside of it for heat protection. But from the wrx's i've seen I don't think it will cut enough heat out to allow someones leg to be in close proximety to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't she be wearing pants anyways :rolleyes:
Other than lookin stupid (at least I think it would, but never know until its done). But from a technical side I don't see anything wrong with it. Your not using it as packing, just wrapping the outside of it for heat protection. But from the wrx's i've seen I don't think it will cut enough heat out to allow someones leg to be in close proximety to it.

thanks for the answers.

i figure if she was wearing jeans in addition to the heat wrap it would be enough.

I just dont want to be riding down the road and the muffler packing catch on fire inside the pipe or something :laughingr . i havent been able to find anyone thats done this so my imagination is running wild with problems that could occur.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just to clarify..... I didn't mean it's horrible to pack your exhaust with, but rather that it's horrible FOR the packing lol. The heat retained by the header wrap burns up packing quicker than an unwrapped one in my experience, an effect that would be multiplied by wrapping the entire pipe. Like I said all that heats gotta go somewhere, and instead of letting it be absorbed through the air it's all being forced out the exhaust outlet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just to clarify..... I didn't mean it's horrible to pack your exhaust with, but rather that it's horrible FOR the packing lol. The heat retained by the header wrap burns up packing quicker than an unwrapped one in my experience, an effect that would be multiplied by wrapping the entire pipe. Like I said all that heats gotta go somewhere, and instead of letting it be absorbed through the air it's all being forced out the exhaust outlet.
Got ya! That makes sense for sure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The real question is...........How much fun can you really have with your girlfriend on the back? No disrespect to you or your girlfriend. Just the 1st thing that came to mind as I was reading the thread. On a side note, post her and the bike in "Bikes n' Babes. :D

And I agree, I've never heard of header wrap being bad, but will look like shit pretty quick. I just wrapped mine this spring and it is fraying where my heals hit the pipe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The real question is...........How much fun can you really have with your girlfriend on the back? No disrespect to you or your girlfriend. Just the 1st thing that came to mind as I was reading the thread. On a side note, post her and the bike in "Bikes n' Babes. :D

And I agree, I've never heard of header wrap being bad, but will look like shit pretty quick. I just wrapped mine this spring and it is fraying where my heals hit the pipe.
not as much as riding solo, but i had a 07 cbr600rr before my wrx and she liked to ride and keeps asking to ride on this one now soo yea.

ill see what her opinion is on the "Bikes n' Babes" section. no promises. :lol:

also ive read up on the fraying. spraying it with a couple thick coats engine enamel once once it is dry and then hitting it with the silicone coating seems to eliminate the problem but thats just from what ive read, no field testing yet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
just tell her the pic is for you don't tell her about the forum!! then let us know when its up :lol:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
also as far as cons to header wrap, i have *heard* no experience, that the wrap will absorb moisture, water, mud, etc, and if you put the bike away wet and/or dirty, it can lead to serious corrosion issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If put away wet yes. But it does not take long at all to get rid of the moisture with the heat from the eaxhaust
Agreed, it dries relatively quick. I wash my bike with a cold pipe and put it away cold and I have no issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used header wrap on my husky 610 with intentions of cooling the temp down by my leg. I swear it just radiated the heat even more. It was miserable.
really? what kind of heat wrap did you use?

ive never felt the effects of heat wrap, just kind of hoping it works.

anyone else have any experiences like mxrider?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts