SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be useful for everyone if we had an OIL sticky (after all, it is one of the key determining factors of how long the bikes last and how well they run!). I think oil lends itself to this sort of review because we change it often, and lots of people have tried a variety of brands and weights in all kinds of conditions. It's also essential for performance and longevity -- no need for ALL of us to learn the hard way :D

Here's what I propose:

Conditions:
-Bike you ride (450, 510, 610, etc.)
-How you ride (canyon terror, errands/commuting, slow woods riding,
some of everything, whatever)
-Temperature range you typically ride in

Review:
-The oil you're reviewing (brand, weight, synthetic/blend/conventional)
-Change interval used
-Longevity: did the oil seem to break down after some time? Did you
feel the need to change it before the recommended interval? Why?
(loss of smoothness, for example)
-Smoothness of transmission -- was it easy to find neutral when
moving? When stopped?
-How did it look when you drained it? (like new, broken down some, like
that gunk in the office coffee pot after a holiday weekend)
-How much metal in the on drain plug or in bag filters?

Ideally, we could compile multiple oil reviews from any given user -- That way the oil is probably the only variable (riding style, climate, bike, etc. would be unchanged for the most part). This would be much more efficient and effective than searching through countless threads where different oils are mentioned.

Obviously, any information in addition to the above suggestions would be great.

Would you guys be interested in this? I'm coming up on my first oil change, so i plan to do a full review on whatever oil I decide to run. I'm kind of a noob, though, so I would really benefit from the knowledge and experience that a lot of the people on this board have.

Thanks for giving this a look! :thumbup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
While I agree that this is a critical issue I question the value of such a review thread.

Without a lab to test the oil all the opinions on how long you THINK it lasted and how slippery you THINK it is are totally meaningless. Seriously. I'm not trying to be mean on this topic. It's just that without a proper lab to test the amount of breakdown in the long chain molecules (lubricity), the ability to retain particulates in suspension and retain the acids and other contaminants from the combustion process (the stuff that darkens the oil) the rest is just so much hot air and will be purely conjecture with no factual value at all.

Do a search in google or wherever for "motor oil testing". You'll see all these factors and others tested and properly evaluated by various labs using proper procedures. As average consumers we just cannot even begin to evaluate these issues in any way that is at all worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
thank you pea. :thumbup:

good idea Joe, but wrong place.

but for the books...

in my 610 ive run yamalube 15-50
spectro platinum 15-50
some mix of my syn blend honda oil and some spectro

and some more spectro platinum 15-50...

9k miles and its fine to my standards.

there ya go joe :lol: i hope this may help the process. :laughingr

i really dont mean to sound condesending here, but i think every oil offered in a heavy weight has been run in a 610. probably everything but the AGIP they recommend...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough :hammer:

I'm aware that lab tests are needed to get hard facts -- probably should have known better than to even put most of that crap on the list :flush: The point i'm mainly interested in, i guess, is how well each one seems to suit this engine, and what weights work best in which conditions. I've heard lots of people mention that the tranny, in particular, is smoother with some than with others. This "information" (BS?) is scattered all over this forum with no organization at all. If it's bullshit, and all the oils out there run the same in this bike (as long as you get the proper weight), then there's absolutely no point in discussing it at all.

You guys are right, though... I was definitely asking for people to get on here and post "facts" about oil performance which would ultimately lead other people astray. Bad move -- sorry.

Thanks for straitening me out here, guys.:bowdown: I should have known better -- I've worked around heavy equipment for years and have always relied on lab testing of fluids, not shoddy visual inspections, to evaluate their conditions and determine when a service is needed. What lead me to think (not think at all?) this would be any different is beyond me. I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
hahahahahahahah oh dont feel bad...

but there are labs you can send your oil to and get it tested, maybe you can do a small experiment?

try different oils at your normal intervals and take a sample of it each change and send it off. Not sure how much it costs, but its worth a try if youre interested. i think someone on here has sent oil out before to get analyzed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts