SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like some advice regarding upgrading my headlight on my KTM EXC.

The stock headlight is basically useless for riding after dark.

I've looked at a number of options, and I'm typically the type of person that likes to buy the best rather than buy things more than once. But the range for headlight upgrades is fairly vast, going all the way up over $400.

I was originally considering the Cyclops LED plug and play but then read that because it uses the stock reflector background it isn't much better.

I then started looking into the Baja designs and motominded stuff. But I want to be able to ride it on the road and be able to use high and low beams. And if I'm understanding right most of that stuff you can't use high and low beam switches on and I'm not sure if the dimming options are actually feasible for oncoming traffic or not.

I switch the bike back and forth between a trail bike and a supermoto and I'd like the headlight upgrade to be good for night trail riding as well.

I realize riding trails at night the most important thing is a helmet light. But I would still like the headlight to be good and bright.

So can anyone tell me what the best option for a headlight upgrade that is awesome bright but also dimmable or have two beam patterns for road use?

I'd rather replace the headlight itself rather than add accessory lights.

I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything that wasn't quite old and I would like to consider more current options.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might want to check with John at Sicass Racing.... He is the electrical expert over there, and those guys are riders!!
Please let us know what is the outcome, (with pics) and what year your EXC is... I have an older 520 that could use a little more light for night rides home.
Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run a Baja Designs Squadron LED light with a Skene Design dimmer on my 2011 Husaberg FS570. The stock headlight provided enough light to comfortably run at 35 mph, any more than that and I felt I was outrunning the light. I'm comfortable running at any speed with the Squadron on high beam. It's way bright. Also, I too have had great success with Sicass Racing...they are top notch.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Forgot to mention mine is also the squadron but sport. I think its 3400lumens. I know they go up from there. My bike is a 2011 but I'm running 2015 triple clamp and mask. I also had the previous gen oem exc light but I dont ride off road at night currently so dont have a good comparison for you. I got the squadron mainly cause it was $137 and I've used BD stuff in the past. The oem was more so it was a no brainer. I have buddies that run the pro offroad at night but they ride desert. I'm on the east coast and the stuff here is tight single track so speed is not as much.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Good option at a great price. Hard to find in stock currently due to being manufactured in Italy and the Covid crisis there.
ACB04895-0ACB-4759-80D1-BAC93618ABA2.png
5FC15A81-0D14-4A1F-8BEB-97CA16AE6CB1.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, so now I have a bunch of questions,,,, 1. Does it actually have a high and low beam setting? 2. Has any one tried this, as far as can you use the low beam on the street? (I am assuming the 4320 lumens, is at 32v.... which is way more than my old 520 has) 3. Does it have the 2 screws sticking up from the fender for the lower mounting point? Getting ready to head back to AZ soon, but I am still going to try to ride out to Sicass Racing one day, to see what they have to offer... Saw something on the net that the square light is an overall better choice than the 2 round ones. Not sure about why that was said, but maybe I can find out.
Any info is always appreciated!
Keith

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
BD offers high low switches and dimmer switches. Some lights have it built in.

Probably depends on how strict your inspections are. And no not 32v. Some BD lights are AC and some are DC for a 12v system. Depends on your bike. I'm running dc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts