SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got myself some axle sliders for my 2006 KTM 640sm.
The rear ones went on without any dramas.

The front ones, however, are not so straight forward.
The instructions say to undo the 27mm bolt on the left hand side (done), then remove the cap from the right hand side.
This is where I am stuck.
I have put an aluminum rod through the axle (from the left to the right) and tapped the cap from the inside to remove it, but it doesn't budge at all.
I have done quite a few google searches and not really come up with any confirmation of definately how it's done. I am led to believe it is NOT threaded, but just a cap type thingy.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Can it not be done without screwing through the original cap?
Is the cap screwed in with a thread or is it held in with friction like a 'cap'?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It's a press fit from the factory. Use a wooden dowel and smack it from the inside it will come off..... notice how the front kit comes with a slider end that looks to fit the inside of the axle??? well it does..... be brave... it wont hurt:anim_peep:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ be brave? It won't hurt?
lol
I hope not! :)

I have been hitting it with some aluminum tubing, I'll have to look for something a bit better like some wooden dowel.
I have re-read the instructions, it simply says "remove the retaining bushing from the axle (right side)".

Here's a photo, see how it is not a standard hexagon shape.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Leave the axle and the rest in place just like the picture shows..... loosen and take the "squeeze" off the RH axle pinch bolts and "knock" that plug out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts