SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering where the folks with abnormal body types find riding gear? i'm 6'3 260 lbs, not obese or athletic in build, sort of like an offensive tackle. i wear a 38/40 waist and 30 inseam, my legs are short and really thick, my torso and upper body is long, my arms are relatively short. i'm just a big guy who enjoys his beer and cake.

i'm looking for reasonably priced trackable leather pants ($150-300) with a 360 and half zip as well as daily rider pants ($75-150) for commuting work and class. right now i wear heavy textile mx pants when i ride for fun (on the sporty too :lol:) and commute in jeans and riding shoes which is an obvious safety hazard and i get cold.

i've tried a bunch of riding jeans and pants, most are too long in the legs or too short in the crotch when the waist fits. any brand or retailer recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If you have a Cycle Gear or any motorcycle retailer near Skylab. Go and try stuff on. I have Olympia textile jacket and pants. They have a quilted waterproof removable liner that will keep you warm. The shell when used w/o liner is very cool and protective.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Short arms and legs, long thick torso...Any of the Italian-made leathers should fit you.

I say this because they all seem to be cut the opposite of what I need, which is skinny and long legs & arms.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I have a set of 1pc Fieldsheer leathers that fit oddly compared to most others, i.e. - short inseam, long torso, very roomy legs and arms, might be the brand to try. I am 5'10", 175lbs, 32" inseam. A size 44 usually fits well, but with them I had to go to a 46 because the inseam was too short on the leathers. They are good quality and I have crash tested mine, they held up well and are still in service. They can also be had pretty cheap on closeout if you shop around. My 1pc was closeout $350 from $550 retail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In general you would take your waist size and add 20 to that for pant sizing.
IE> 38" waist=size 58 pants

remember this is a guide. all styles fit differently. even brands. one alpinestar suit will fit different than another alpinestar suit

call someone who knows a lot about gear fitment like sportbiketrackgear

·
Registered
525 Posts
Look at the custom options as well. Not as expensive as one might think.

tiltcustoms.com

pilotleathers.com

Lead/wait time this time of year might be starting to get sketchy though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies guys. the pilotleathers looks like a great idea if i can save a lil extra cash. tried cycle gear in oxnard (i'm in santa barbara) and their frank thomas leather pants in size 40 fit my waist great and were marked down to $120 but of course the legs were too long (the knee pads are on my shins and the stretch panels cover my knees). also tried on several pairs of their riding jeans with no luck. there's gotta be some chunky riders out there who share my grief! :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Remember to sit on something and get in the riding position. The legs will draw up more than you'd think they might.

Well-fitted leathers (especially one piece suits) shouldn't line up right or be very comfortable when standing and walking around.

My one piece is a wee bit long in the body for me, but when I wear my G5 armored shirt under it and I'm on the bike it's *perfect*. When standing the knees are damn near to my ankles, on the bike they're right where they should be.

You prolly already know this, but others reading might not.

Oh, and Frank Thomas was decent stuff a couple years ago, but their quality has gone way downhill lately. I've seen two jackets and a pair of pants literally disintegrate in getoffs that were otherwise pretty light.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah jon, i did sit in a chair and the knees still weren't in position. i noticed the ft gear was made in pakistan, no wonder it was on sale... :headshake

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 5'11 250lbs and I have alpinestar sp1 one piece size 48 us or 58 euro it fits very well for big chest wide shoulders its just a lil long in legs but I only have like a 26 inseam but boots hold sliders in place pretty well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts