SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Keep Dreaming!

Sorry to say but you will not see this in the US any time soon.

The big 4 bike makers see the US as a vast open highway with no need for middle weight single cylinder street bikes.

They think no one will buy them, and I kind of agree.

SM is a nitch market here in the US that has not caught on here yet, I say yet!

Honda has had a 650sm in europe for about 4 years now.

I contacted Honda US in 06 asking if the bike would be sold in the states and they said not any time soon.

So as always, Europe gets all of the good motorcycles!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
It would be nice competition for the ktm 690. But ya, i agree i dont think we'll ever be lucky enough to see them in the states any time soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
am i looking at a parallel twin?

might be the same motor used in the other yamaha that was used in the "Tomb Raider" movie with Angelina Jolee'

nice looking, but i dont like the exhaust under the motor. street use only.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
am i looking at a parallel twin?

might be the same motor used in the other yamaha that was used in the "Tomb Raider" movie with Angelina Jolee'

nice looking, but i dont like the exhaust under the motor. street use only.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D
Single cylinder fuel injected ,K&N filter .power commander with custom map ,carbon can company dual exhaust .
As you say "street use " a bit heavy for the dirt sections but no problems on the tarmac .
The bike from tomb raider was a CCM i think .

·
Registered
187 Posts
That bike looks awesome. I don't get why every 530cc+ bike needs a seat/tank configuration that looks like its from 1984. Look at peoples custom XR650's with CRF type stuff. They look 100x better.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't get why every 530cc+ bike needs a seat/tank configuration that looks like its from 1984. Look at peoples custom XR650's with CRF type stuff. They look 100x better.
I agree....god only knows why.

It would be nice competition for the ktm 690. But ya, i agree i dont think we'll ever be lucky enough to see them in the states any time soon.
Haven't you learned yet? All the other countries get the coolest shit first and foremost. Japan gets the Skyline along with all the gaming consoles way before us, and Europe gets some cool shit too.........tea and crumpets don't count. :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the reason stuff like that isnt a big seller here yet is it doesnt have a tough guy image, it seems like the tough guy image is what sells alot of stuff here in the US for some reason. Make it look like a Hardley and give away a free 1%er shoulder patch with it and it would sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
tomb raider

That was a TRX850 yamaha twin.

Single cylinder fuel injected ,K&N filter .power commander with custom map ,carbon can company dual exhaust .
As you say "street use " a bit heavy for the dirt sections but no problems on the tarmac .
The bike from tomb raider was a CCM i think .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree....god only knows why.

Haven't you learned yet? All the other countries get the coolest shit first and foremost. Japan gets the Skyline along with all the gaming consoles way before us, and Europe gets some cool shit too.........tea and crumpets don't count. :lol:
just sold a CCM R30 ,not sure if you get them over there ,but also been looking at this CCM that came out last year.

·
Registered
201 Posts
over here in australia they use the xt660 motard to ride around on when reading the water meters that go into your house, that would make that job worth it

·
Registered
526 Posts
The big 4 bike makers see the US as a vast open highway with no need for middle weight single cylinder street bikes.

They think no one will buy them, and I kind of agree.

So as always, Europe gets all of the good motorcycles!
not only Europe.
it's up to the USA distributors, Yamaha USA.
the USA market is Harleys and kruzers, sportbikes, offroad bikes. still, the DRZ SM seems to sell ok.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does the XT actually weigh over 350 pounds? I thought supermotos were supposed to be based off of dirtbike, why are some so heavy? 300 pounds sounds alot more reasonable.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Supermotos are based on 4-stroke mx bikes. The XT660X is based on the latest version of Yamaha's big trail bike. They make good road bikes, even if they aren't supermotos. The same applies to the DRZ SM.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can see being based off a big trail bike and weighing 300#, but 350#???!! That is pure insanity. It kind of defeats the purpose of a single cylinder bike to weigh so much. Im not against the bike, it would just be alot more desirable if it was 280-300#. At 350# how is it any different than an SV650?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts