SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 months ago i bough a wr426 for the price of 1500 euros , my purpose was to fully rebuilt it , so far i have replaced mostly everything in the motor and it runs like new and the way the power is delivered is amazing ... I love this motor because of the reliability and the power curve so i really dont want to replace it with a newer more top end WRs/YZs motor.

Can a steel frame WR reach the handling performance of the newer bikes just by upgrading both front and rear suspensions ? or is it a waste of money and the aluminium frame is the main factor of this newer geometry ? My bike is both a motard and enduro.

Themis

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not sure how different the geometry is. I imagine the frame is somewhat more flexible than the aluminum frame bikes, but modern Huskies are steel frame too and very popular.

In order to make it handle right you're going to want more modern forks - the Yamaha SSS forks (06+ YZ I think, 12+ WR) are the way to go. I'm not sure how well it'll handle with good suspension vs an aluminum framed bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how different the geometry is. I imagine the frame is somewhat more flexible than the aluminum frame bikes, but modern Huskies are steel frame too and very popular.

In order to make it handle right you're going to want more modern forks - the Yamaha SSS forks (06+ YZ I think, 12+ WR) are the way to go. I'm not sure how well it'll handle with good suspension vs an aluminum framed bike.
Thats a nice info, i though that steel frame was a thing from the past these days .
The question i've been trying to ask is EXACTLY that , "how well it'll handle with good suspension vs an aluminum framed bike" ?

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I understand the main motivation for the switch to AL MX frames was cost (and fashion).
Somewhat surprisingly to me, they are cheaper to produce.

All my Supermoto bikes have had steel frames - KTMs/Husky’s

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
True, although production cost has a lot to do with how many you're making

if you're making one bike, a Ducati style trellis frame is reasonably economical: fixturing isn't too expensive, you don't need to make dies, etc - just cut, notch, a few bends, fixture, weld. The extra labor involved in manufacturing the one frame is something, but not too bad.

if you're making 10,000 bikes, an aluminum extrusion and/or casting is the way to go: yes, you need custom dies, which are expensive, but the labor involved in making each frame is far less.

once you have the economy of scale there to amortize the tooling cost over, aluminum frames are often cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is i am not trying to compare steel and aluminium frames , i personally thing that steel frames last longer and are more durable but alumium frames are much ligher (and stylish) but thats not what i am trying to adress in this thread.
I am trying to compare the geometry of the WR's , i know that all of the models have the same rake and everyone is saying that the newer models handle way bettter than the oldies (even people that upgraded from the wr426 to the wr450 '03) , but is this handling increase because of the newer suspension only ?
I really want to improve my WR426's handling as much as possible and i dont seem to find anything useful in the web so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts