SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

I'm looking for some ideas for turn signals to replace the stock ones. Also looking for handguard suggestions. I considered getting ZETA with built in LED signals, but when you add the aluminum bar, it gets expensive. I've seen a lot of people use Acerbis or Cycra. Any other ideas?
Anyone willing to provide a pic of their bike--would be appreciated!

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
+1

Bike came with speedzilla mirrors too... so i've got all kinds of blinkers.

Off topic/irrelevant:
Can anybody inform me of the proper way to do a quote (where it says 'originally posted by...") Sorry to jack the thread over semantics, but i'm starting to feel inadequate. Thx!

·
Registered
374 Posts
ZETA!!! I love mine. And it cost LESS to get the bars and the plastic guards with signals than it would have to get the Acerbis handguards without signals.

WORD OF ADVICE: DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING ANODIZED RED UNLESS YOU'RE WANT PINK!!!!
Red anodized parts fade FAST in the sun and become pink anodized. I cannot BELIEVE that I forgot about that when ordering my handguards last month. They looked cool as hell for two weeks and now, they're still cool but they've definitely gone pink (not to be confused with going plaid). You can still tell they were once red but that won't stop friends from mocking you.

The picture JoeCivic posted must have been VERY soon after they were installed.

I ordered my Zeta stuff from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

Also, my thoughts on the Zeta mounts aside from the fading of the red:
The mounts on the inside section of the bar are GREAT and MUCH better than the Acerbis mounts. These went on so much easier and fit better, it was scary. They're good for a variety of bar bends.
The mounts on the ends of the handlebars are not as stout as the ones Acerbis sends. I have no doubt that they will do their job well, they just aren't as beefy as the Acerbis ones.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Probably true about the anodized pink... damnit. I even knew that when i ordered the, but i couldn't stop thinking about how cool they'd look. Those pics WERE pretty soon after installed (just as hozhead predicted)... only a couple of days. I've had them on for a couple of months now, though, and they still look red (to me). I keep it in the garage and usually just ride it after work and on weekends, so its out a lot at night... i bet if it sat out in the sun all day at work they'd already be pink as hell. I know its coming, but they look great to me for now-- i guess I'll just hold out as long as i can, and hit it with the satin black once i can't take it anymore.

Other than that, though, they're a great product. They feel really tough (haven't put them to a REAL test yet), they fit great, appear to be well made, and they look pretty sweet. I ordered mine from wheeling cycle supply (awesome to deal with) and recieved them in 2 days. If you ask, they'll give you the smoked lenses like i've got instead of orange. They're still more than bright enough with the smoke.

Think about it -- by the time you order other (decent) handguards + some other signal solution, you're really not ahead on price (you could be way behind, depending what you choose), AND you don't have zetas. lose-lose situation, if you ask me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
hey Ungarisch, where did you get the 510 front plate and fender? im looking for one in black and white.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Joecivic I seem to have the same spot on the ground next to my 610. You leaking oil?? Curious because I am and i'll be damned if I can find where the hell its coming from and its spraying some on my rear tire and causing some excitement on left hand turns

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Joecivic I seem to have the same spot on the ground next to my 610. You leaking oil?? Curious because I am and i'll be damned if I can find where the hell its coming from and its spraying some on my rear tire and causing some excitement on left hand turns
Sorry man -- it's just gas. I forgot to cut the fuel off and the driveway is steep. Some just ran out the bowl vent. Sorry to hear about your oil leak though -- noticed few people on here talking about having oil leaks when i was researching the bike before buying it... maybe there's a solution out there? So far, though, all of mine is still in the bike as far as i know.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here's an update to an old(ish) question.

Do NOT get the BLACK or RED "Armor Handguards" from Zeta. Apparently, the black tends to fade a lot as well.
I emailed the parent company of Zeta and DRC to provide some feedback about the fading red (which is now some sickly orange color, not even pink) and ask if they would replace them with black. They emailed back this morning and said yes, they will replace them but they suggested silver because the black fades badly as well.

Structurally, the handguards are great in any color so I've got no complaints there and if they come through with the replacement silver ones, I'll be even more pleased.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's great to know. Mine are still looking pretty good, but i hope they'll extend the same product support to me when the time comes. Who is the parent company, anyway? The guards seem identical to cyrcas, is that it?

Thanks for all the info on this, and here's a recent pic of mine

I know it's hard to see the color in the pic, but they still look about as good as new.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The parent company is "Dirt Freak" out of Japan. They are actually the parent company of Zeta, DRC (the makers of those edge taillights), and Motion (they make gripper seats, decals, etc). I'm not sure if they're going to ship through one of their US distributors or directly from Japan but the fact that a non US company is bothering to send a replacement product to one guy in Idaho simply based on an email to them is pretty impressive.

These are essentially the same guards as Cycra. Zeta pays Cycra (or their parent company) to be able to make these. The Zeta variety cost less and have more options but the Cycra ones now have plastic caps available for the outside portion of the bar. If I scratch up my handguards putting them to use, I'll get the Cyrcra plastic caps and throw them on for looks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the info, man... sounds like you've really done your homework on this!

I agree that it's impressive to see a foreign company willing to go to such lengths to stand by their product. If they are willing to do the same for me (If/when I need it), and the replacement holds up reasonably well, they'll have a customer for life.

I almost ordered a set of the end caps when i got the guards, but if i threw those on, you'd hardly even see the red. Maybe that's what I'll do once they fade.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How dya mount them without having to cut the stock levers?
They fit just fine over the levers. I've got a stock brake lever and have an ASV Pro Perch and Lever on the clutch side. but it certainly looked like the stock clutch setup would fit as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, they both fit fine. I just positioned the guards slightly lower than the brake levers, and moved the lever inward in the bar just a bit (i like this better anyway as it puts the closest part of the lever where I like it).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wohoo! Got my new replacement handguards today. Shipped all the way from Japan rather than through a US distributor. Six days after sending an email with feedback but with no real expectation of getting a replacement, they made it from Japan to Idaho.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's great news! Are you supposed to send your originals back? If so, are they covering the shipping to Japan?

·
Registered
374 Posts
That's great news! Are you supposed to send your originals back? If so, are they covering the shipping to Japan?
They didn't ask me to send the originals back at all so now I've got a set of disproportionately faded handguards sitting around as spares I guess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts