SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint my rims on my SMS 630 half black and half white, but i dont want it to look horrible or flake. Any tips on how to paint rims myself to where it will last?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Two easy steps to do-it-yourself with professional, durable quality.

1.) Purchase an industrial grade powder coating facility
2.) Paint

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two easy steps to do-it-yourself with professional, durable quality.

1.) Purchase an industrial grade powder coating facility
2.) Paint

that makes this so much easier, i'll jump right on that

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the way you think, but the us government does not pay me that much :headshake

·
Registered
74 Posts
Strip them down ( media blasting is the best way ) if there painted you can use aircraft stripper and a pressure washer instead. Then shoot with a good epoxy primer then a sealer then paint then clear. ...... Or you could strip them down then rattle bomb them but it will look like hell after a couple of weeks of riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rattlecan paint isn't too bad. It won't flake, but brake fluid will eat it, and it might chip a bit from tire irons. I've used DupliColor's wheel paint in charcoal gray, and like 3 years later, it still looks decent.

Don't know if they have a white wheel paint, but you could use a regular white paint and use Rustoleum's Wheel clear over it. You'd only need like 4 cans (primer, black, white, and clear). If you're not happy, you can go all the way and PC them and all you lost is $20.

As to how to do it, prep is important. Make sure you clean off any oil and dirt with acetone or something. Use a primer. And use a few coats of clear, or a few coats of actual paint. It should be fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
or you could give me 100 dollars and ill do it for you....the professional way :D
you do that? that's what you'd charge if someone were to ship you wheels, to disassemble, prep, powdercoat, and re-assemble the wheels? If so, I may be shipping you my wheels over the winter.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts