SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was heading home from mulholland hwy at about 2pm....was on the freeway in the slow lane doing maybe 70....(bike is geared to max out at 80.) when all the sudden a car pulls left in front of me. I had all but a fraction of a second to react. I downshifted 2 gears n started on the brakes. My rear end locked up slid right hard. Peg started to hit the ground and make sparks. I still held onto the bike. It all happened in slow motion it seemed.

I ended up being able to bring the bike back up right and pull away without touching the car.

Off-duty lafd followed me off the freeway to make sure i was ok...i got off on the next exit. I was pretty shaken up.

I should have died..plain n simple...idk how i did what i did or how i am still here. Ive been riding on the street for 6 years. I know what im doing. I dont ride like a jackass with cars around and i dont ride in blind spots.

I drive past the marks everyday on my way home from work.

Feeling like i should quit riding....i really should have died. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a god.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Glad that you didn't buy it that time.

I think it was a function of your skills and reflexes that saved you.

Riding is dangerous- we all probably know people who've been injured or died from accidents while riding.

Once you get some perspective on this, you may want to invest in further rider training to hone your skills for the next time you'll need them.

It may have been god. It may have been you and luck. We'll never know.

Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im gonna go with it being luck. When she cut me off she left bout a foot gap from her rear bumper n my front tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Close calls happen often, and to me it always seem the most dangerous ones I miraclously have some hidden skill level to keep me safe! I have no idea what im doing, i just do it! It wont make me give up riding though, Id rather go out on my bike than some retirement home! If you decide to keep riding, let me know next time you hit up Muholland. I am new to the area and live suprisingly close to there!

·
Registered
30 Posts
close call

dude, I'm glad you're ok. I'm new to the streets and what happened to you is my worst fear. A rider can be doing everything right and it only takes one moron in a cage to ruin your day. I've only ridden motocross in the past but it sure is nice to just jump on the sumo and ride anytime, anywhere, straight from the garage. As a family man, I do think about the consequences of riding. I just pray that my time isn't cut short because of me riding and having fun. That's pretty cool too that the off duty FD guy stopped to check on you.

-dirthead29

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
That is cool that the off duty officer did check on you. It might be time for track only riding. Not that you won't get hurt, but at least you don't have to worry about cagers and other dumb asses running you over.

My 0.02

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
So i was heading home from mulholland hwy at about 2pm....was on the freeway in the slow lane doing maybe 70....(bike is geared to max out at 80.) when all the sudden a car pulls left in front of me. I had all but a fraction of a second to react. I downshifted 2 gears n started on the brakes. My rear end locked up slid right hard. Peg started to hit the ground and make sparks. I still held onto the bike. It all happened in slow motion it seemed.

I ended up being able to bring the bike back up right and pull away without touching the car.

Off-duty lafd followed me off the freeway to make sure i was ok...i got off on the next exit. I was pretty shaken up.

I should have died..plain n simple...idk how i did what i did or how i am still here. Ive been riding on the street for 6 years. I know what im doing. I dont ride like a jackass with cars around and i dont ride in blind spots.

I drive past the marks everyday on my way home from work.

Feeling like i should quit riding....i really should have died. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a god.
First glad your OK , second dont give up riding . I have a strong believing that when its your time it your time . Does not matter what your doing , riding or driving or walking does not matter . I also believe that you will never know what type of rider you are until you are put into a situation like this , will you panic or just react . You reacted and came through . You didn't think about it you just responded , and rode it out .

That very same thing happened to me about 25 years ago , I still remember it like it was yesterday . I was basically flat tracking a cbr 600 hurricane on a major six lane highway side ways with freaking loafers on and made it by the car with out going down . I pulled over and got off the bike and sat down and started shaking like crazy , some dude in a big rig pulled over and walked over to me and said that was the best save he had ever seen . He was behind me when it happened , I looked up and said thanks . Got up and rode home , when I got home and looked at my shoes I had worn the sole straight through . Well I'm still riding and I'm glad that I make that decision . So hang in there , and don't make any quick decisions on walking away .:thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
glad your ok.

If your not enjoying it anymore, stop, no sense risking your life for something you dont enjoy.

maybe just take a break, for a while.

every time i get on my bike i basically tell myself ill do what i can to avoid crashing, but if if i die on my bike, so be it, id rather go out on it than in a car, or from cancer, or old age, if its gonna happen i have accepted that risk.

Either way glad your ok, maybe take a break for a while

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Glad it worked out. Pretty nuts to be locked up and grinding peg on a straight highway!

My deal like that also went down about 25 years ago... same thing. Lady cut into my lane, locked them up and went down. Then she hit the brakes. I slid up under the back end of her car and got caught on the tow hook, crushing my pelvis. My T-shoes and flight jacket ate up and I got major rash. I was on my way to work, and didn't want to mess up my brand spankin new leather riding jacket.

The bike ('86 Honda VF1000R) slid into the other lane, wedged itself under the fuel tank ladder of an 18 wheeler and was taken down the road about half a mile.

I didn't ride for about a year on the street. Couldn't stay away, and here I am.

Come out to Apex with everyone on Sunday (Check local ride alerts) and clear out your head. Fun kart track riding with buddies gives you all the good without the potential bad of the street.

You'll get past it.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Glad your alright buddy, I went down recently and I think about it everyday. I remember every detail of the crash. Your a motorcycle enthusiast like the rest of us, riding is your passion or one of them. I won't heal for another 6 weeks or so but I haven't thought about giving it up, just getting smarter with gear and being more alert.

Sounds like you did a hell of a job saving that one and I'm glad you didn't go down. Just remember crashing is a part of riding. Make things easier on your self and wear full protection all the time. One of the unfortunate things I just recently learned.

Its alright to take some time off to straighten things out, my guess is that your going to end up missing riding.

I hope everything works out man, best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It wasn't your time buddy, wether it's because of God or your reflexes or even luck doesn't really matter. I doubt putting riding on hold will help, so many ways a person can die you know. But if your not comfortable anymore it might be best for a while. Anyways, glad you're Ok and what toastybake said.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I flew off the side of a mtn (wnc type, not mtn mtn) and went in between 2 trees that were probably 3-4ft apart.
Scared the shit out of me! If I wouldn't have broken my brake lever I would have rode the next day.

Don't give up riding.

And it wasn't a god that saved you

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a strong believing that when its your time it your time . Does not matter what your doing , riding or driving or walking does not matter .
Second that, one of my best friends from high school died when I was a junior from a brain tumor. All of our friends stayed close with the family and would visit. His uncle died two years ago, was walking on the cow pasture of the family farm and slipped. Thats it...he slipped on cow shit and fell on a concrete pad. He was 45 years old, and in crazy good shape. He hit his head just right and died instantly. Your time is your time in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Riding a bike is risky business, but it is also a passion. If you love it, you will deal with the asshats you meet on the road. They are not out to kill you, at least for 99% of them, that is not the intention.

I lose count of the close calls I have every year. At least one good one every month, and a couple that could have been if the driver hadn't see me at the last second. You just learn to deal with it, and increase your situational awareness. I am always looking down the road for the next oblivious driver. It's just second nature now. :thumbup:

Now put on your big boy pants and get your ass back out there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
First glad your OK , second dont give up riding . I have a strong believing that when its your time it your time . Does not matter what your doing , riding or driving or walking does not matter . I also believe that you will never know what type of rider you are until you are put into a situation like this , will you panic or just react . You reacted and came through . You didn't think about it you just responded , and rode it out .

That very same thing happened to me about 25 years ago , I still remember it like it was yesterday . I was basically flat tracking a cbr 600 hurricane on a major six lane highway side ways with freaking loafers on and made it by the car with out going down . I pulled over and got off the bike and sat down and started shaking like crazy , some dude in a big rig pulled over and walked over to me and said that was the best save he had ever seen . He was behind me when it happened , I looked up and said thanks . Got up and rode home , when I got home and looked at my shoes I had worn the sole straight through . Well I'm still riding and I'm glad that I make that decision . So hang in there , and don't make any quick decisions on walking away .:thumbup:

+2 I was almost killed by a blue haired tourist on 28 near the Gap 3mos ago and was only cleared on concussion related symptoms on wed May 18 1 day before the Ralley at the Gap. I thought about before while struggling through the head aches and vertigo + people trying to talk me into giving up riding ,but i said from day 1 that i would ride again and thats not even an option ,and doubted several times that i might not be able to make it in time being only 2 mos after surgery to repair a broken shoulder/arm and torn rotator plus other issues cracked ribs for sure still bother me ,but when HPIguy called and asked are you goin? I said does a bear shit in the woods!

I was hurting like a MF and barely able to hang on to the bars ,but i still went just to get over the mental hurdle of riding ,but when we were headed back to the Gap and i had to ride the same road and pass the same spot where i crashed i knew that the victory over the memory of the crash was mine ,and i can't desrcibe the feeling of getting that monkey off my back ,but pure sweetness. The feeling of just riding again was the best ever ,all that extra rehab and pushing myself was worth it 10x over just being able to talk with other SMJ'ers and be back at the store was great...Now get back on that bike and let it rip you will not be sorry.:arsenal

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the past two months ive had two people pull out in front of me. Both times I ended up downshifting and sliding but managed to avoid contact. Ive also had a few people merge into my lane. I could never stop riding but gear up and stay aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
As others have said, glad you're OK. And I agree with psyco, if it's your time it's your time, period. That doesn't mean I don't believe you can't do dumb shit to accelerate that time frame, but for the most part, it will happen when the time gets here. I also just realized, this month marks 30 years of riding for me, it's the only hobby I've stayed passionate about my whole life. I've met so many great people, made so many lasting friendships, and the memories I have, that I can't even fathom having to give it up.

When I asked Rob (alarka) if he was OK with taking that stretch of 28 where he got taken out, he told me "You gotta face it sometime, that's the only way you'll ever get it out of your head, and let it go" Truer words have never been spoken, and I was so glad he came with me to the rally, we had a great time. And I'm really glad he didn't stop riding, we've logged a LOT of miles together, and formed a trust and friendship that can only be formed doing what we do when we go ride. I would have really missed having him to ride with.

I've also lost a best friend, and a couple other friends to the sport. But I know if they were here today, they'd still be riding. So the best way I know to honor their memory, is to suit up and go do what I love. I have buddies that have called it quits, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Just don't make a rash decision that you'll regret, take some time, and think it through. Best of luck either way, and again, glad you're 100% alright.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts