SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i just sold my 07 gsxr1000 it was my 5th 1000.. Im 35 been riding 18 years.. never riden dirt other than my quad .. want something more comfortable than the gixxer but not quite as old man as my sabre 1100.. that can actually be fun in the twistys and good for morning ride to the gym 6 miles.. was thinking of either a duke or a supermoto r.. or maybe a street triple.. any opinions are appreciated.. thnx in advance..

·
Registered
723 Posts
street triple? triumph? its only a 675
speed triple is a 1050
I'm a triumph tech, the speed triples are titties

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Do you want more speed or more of a race agile bike? That will help narrow the selection down as well. The 690's definitely are great bikes. Have you looked into the ducati Hypermotard?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've ridden a Duke, Supermoto, and Supermoto R, not to mention 950/990 Adventures. I think the Supermoto R is the most fun of the group, despite having a rather small gas tank. The Supermoto gets a bigger tank and is taller, and the Duke get fuel injection and a more sportbike riding position. They are all quite torquey, but like to rev out right to the limiter. I think the supermoto's are more comfortable than the Duke and while not as sharp in the highspeed twisties, they are much easier to ride around town, and when road surfaces are iffy, and still do quite well when pushed hard in the curves.
Good luck on your decision...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im looking for more of an agile easy to throw into corners bike.. dont care if it goes over 90.. just want something light that i can throw around easy and wring its neck.. it will only be on the street .. hypermotard is a bit more in size than i want.. i want something on the smaller lighter side.. i was originally going to but a KTM 525 street legal and throw on a gixxer front end new rear shock and street rims/tires. but i figure that kinda what the duke / supermoto is already.. id prefer something not soo tall my nieghbor has a klr650 and thats WAY to tall for me im 5'9"..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Deja Vu.... I was where you are now a few years back. I own a 06 FZ1 and a 07 690sm.

I bought the FZ to keep the liter bike speed rush and the upright riding position is way better for me. With that said the FZ sits in the garage and I ride the 690 all the time. Simply put...its a freaking blast. I can do a 200+ mile days as long as I dont spend to much time on the highways. I have not ridden the duke but I assume the same is true. One HUGE thing about any 690. You need to get rid of the OEM exhaust as soon as you can. The bike is gutless with the OEM exhaust choking it up. An after market exhaust( I have a Leo Vince full system), KTM full Akro remapping( your dealer can do this in 10 min), and disable the derestriction on 2nd and 3rd gear and the bike is what you were expecting when you bought it.

The triple is also a very nice bike. But the triple and 690 are very different bike and do different things well. You have to take each of them for a ride to appreciate each.

Just my long winded opinion

·
Registered
649 Posts
im looking for more of an agile easy to throw into corners bike.. dont care if it goes over 90.. just want something light that i can throw around easy and wring its neck.. it will only be on the street .. hypermotard is a bit more in size than i want.. i want something on the smaller lighter side.. i was originally going to but a KTM 525 street legal and throw on a gixxer front end new rear shock and street rims/tires. but i figure that kinda what the duke / supermoto is already.. id prefer something not soo tall my nieghbor has a klr650 and thats WAY to tall for me im 5'9"..
Sounds like you don't want the Duke or the 950 Supermoto. They are both heavier than your average sportbike, and while they both handle great, neither is light and flickable. The Duke is a true streetbike to me....no motard in it at all. Even the riding position is more like a relaxed sport bike like a VFR or an FZ1. The Duke and Supermoto are definitely not like a street legal 525. Sounds like the 690SMC is what you are looking for to me.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
The other thing you could do is get a cheap drz400 supermoto. They aren't the fastest or most race worthy bike out there, but with the common mods they are still a blast. They are good on maintenance, and can be found easy and cheaply. The reason why i'd suggest it is to make sure you really like the supermoto style of riding over street bikes. Then if you do like supermoto, you can sell the drz without losing much money, if any, and invest more money into a bigger bike like the 690.

It's just an idea.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My R1 sat so much after I finished my 560 I felt sorry for it and set it free (sold it).
My SM is WAAAAAAAAAY too much fun.:bike:

·
Registered
426 Posts
too much weight i want something less than or close to 300.. plus im not a big ducati fan..
Gotcha. I would never buy one myself either. The new Duke 3 is sweet!, but I don't think you can get them here in the US yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts