SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around a-bit for grip info, and found some comments scattered throughout some very different threads. But found no thread regarding just grips.

I wanted to change the stock grips on the DRZ. The stock waffle's are ok but not outstanding. I got some Spider SLX grips with "traction gel and vibration dampening core". Whatever...we'll see..

Turn out to be pretty good grips. :thumbup: Tacky, not too soft or hard, not a lotta vibration, and close to the bar feel. (not too thick) Put 250 miles on 'em yesterday, no cramps or blisters. $15 for the set. I use womens hairspray to slide 'em onto the bar, and when the spray drys, it sticks the grips to the bar yet makes it possibe to get them back off without too much trouble. An old school method, but has worked pretty good for me. However, I do safety wire the grips on my race bike.

Note! DRZ owners; the stock throttle grip was a nightmare to get off. It was perma-bonded to the throttle tube and absolutely would not come off. I had to 'whittle' it off with a sharp knife, and then take the tube to my wire wheel and carefully buzz the last of it away from the tube. Took 2 hours. If had known this I would have just bought another throttle tube, it was that difficult.

Post your experiences, your likes and dislikes, your method of attatchment (glue, safety wire, etc.) for grips here and why. Maybe this could be helpful to others. :bike:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like a medium compound full waffle, but all that's a total opinion/rider preferance thing.All the soft compound grips all seem to ball up and/or wear out too quick for me. I use electric tape wrapped around handle bar and throttle tube for grip mounting.

·
Registered
340 Posts
try blowing compressd air down the grip next time it makes them easier to get off
and on i just safety wire mine on.....just changed them the other day cant remember what thay are but thay feel real nice:)
bikes on the back of a truck heading to Brisbane find out tomorrow

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Most of the modern bikes throttle grip are made on the tube and very difficult to remove. I cut the majority of the grip off then use a bench top grinder with the wire wheel to get the rest off. If the tube has ridges I grind those off before putting the new grip on. I like Renthal Med 1/2 waffle grips.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
renthal grip glue (4 lines on the tube/bar just like directions say)

slide it on (quickly) and stays solid even until the grip has been on for months...I dont use safety wire because It never needs it..

using a razor blade cut the flange then slice the grip down the length of the tube/bar and the grip peels off like bananna peel...all in one shot...

rinse and repeat

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like Scotts Hurricane grips. Cheap with lots a colors for a little variety. Brake clean and safety wire, never had one slip.

·
Registered
681 Posts
anything with the half waffle seem to be the best for me. i put some 909 velocity with the dual compound stuff on ducati and they are worn out in about 1000 miles and they are uncomfortable unless you have them at the exact right angle.

only problem i have is i can never seem to get the hole to cut out straight in the end since i have the wrap around hand guards on the ktm and weighted bar ends on the ducati. i know someone makes mx grips with a hole in the end but i cant find them anymore.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put some Pro Taper Pillowtop grips on the dirt bike(wr250)and they're real nice for the dirty bike. Don't know if they're right for the Supermoto though...kinda spongy. But on the WR they feel real good.

Those Spyder grips on the DRZ are turning out to work very well. Holding up good, tacky without being gooey, relate good feedack from the bars without hand crampys you usually get with thinner grips. Gonna get a set for the KTM racer. Not super happy with the half-waffles on there now...hands slip.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've been using DRC half waffles for a while now on both my bikes. They seem to be lasting well and are just tacky enough that my hands don't slip at all without needing a death grip on the bars. They come in both open and closed end and they're a whopping $7 a pair.

Had Renthal thin grips, no waffle design, on the DRZ for a while, but they were too small in diameter requiring extra gripping effort and they transmitted a ton of vibration. I always like thin grips on my trials bike, but on the supermoto they did not work out so well.

I used to use spray paint shot into the grips to install them, and it would set up like glue when dry, but now I am using a quick shot of WD40 and then safety wiring them in place. Both methods seem to hold the grips in place well, but the safety wire route makes them easier to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts