SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading my current issue of motorcyclist and the readers mail section. Last month they talked about supermoto "Is it Dead". I had to write in and give my 2 cents on how much fun it is. I also plugged supermotojunkie.com as a great place to join up with other supermoto riders. Hopefully more articles will come mainstream about how great supermoto is.:thumbup:
- Rudy
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Congrats...good letter. I got the mag yesterday. :D

I have been writing letters like that every now and then for years. I get the impression that the editors of all the sport/street bike mags are not really fans of supermoto for some reason. Otherwise it's just stupid to do only first impression blurbs and never a real test, never mind a comparison test or an "adventure" piece about going to Silent H School or entering a SM race somewhere.

It seems even more stupid that if all you are going to do is write three paragraphs about a ten minute ride, you repeat the same "it has a hard sea and a small gas tank" nonsense. No kidding? And it takes a "pro" to point that out? That's like getting the latest sportybike and pointing out that it has clip ons that give little leverage and an uncomfortable riding position if you are riding at less than 120mph and leaving it at that. How about taking a serious look at the bikes and what they are actually designed to do? How about at least conceding how great they are if you don't have to ride at sustained 100mph+ speeds all the time.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Are there any other replies to that column?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Congrats...good letter. I got the mag yesterday. :D

I have been writing letters like that every now and then for years. I get the impression that the editors of all the sport/street bike mags are not really fans of supermoto for some reason. Otherwise it's just stupid to do only first impression blurbs and never a real test, never mind a comparison test or an "adventure" piece about going to Silent H School or entering a SM race somewhere.

It seems even more stupid that if all you are going to do is write three paragraphs about a ten minute ride, you repeat the same "it has a hard sea and a small gas tank" nonsense. No kidding? And it takes a "pro" to point that out? That's like getting the latest sportybike and pointing out that it has clip ons that give little leverage and an uncomfortable riding position if you are riding at less than 120mph and leaving it at that. How about taking a serious look at the bikes and what they are actually designed to do? How about at least conceding how great they are if you don't have to ride at sustained 100mph+ speeds all the time.

You are reading the wrong magazine. :D

Just remember Don Canet is almost single handedly responsible for reviving supermoto racing in the USA. Reading his stuff in Cycle World is what lead me to abandon sport bikes and track days for SM. I only wish I had made the jump sooner.

FWIW- I think Catterson is a pretty big fan of SM, raced a bunch with STTARS, and was Canet's collegue at Cycle World. I was at a track day with him where there were lot's of very exotic bikes for him to ride and he did several sessions on a YZ400F supermoto. Sportbikes and Cruisers pay the bills though.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
last thing I want is for SM to become mainstream, whenever I see someone on a SM I know its a safe bet that they aren't a huge douche. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of morons who ride to get pussy / feel like bad asses hopping on tards. Supermoto is so great that the hardcore folks will always be around.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Just found out a friend got a set of 17s for his bike and his son's machine as well. That makes six SMs in the area. Feckin Kewl!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Supermoto will never be mainstream if the Japanese manufacturers (HONDA!) don't get off their asses and start producing street legal motos to compete with the Euro stuff. If it's not as good as a Husky or a Katoom, than at least better than the DRZ.
We also need race series organizers who aren't racers. Supermoto racing can be a huge show. HUGE! Fun for anyone and everyone. It's such a blast to watch! But we need big sports promoters, not racers or enthusiasts, organizing the racing.
We will see after this year if that will actually work, though. Crossing fingers!

·
Registered
265 Posts
And it's freakin crazy, cause SM is the shiznit..........I road raced for years, and I totally have a blast on my super moto. Light, powerfull, and just plain fun. Find some tight twisties and nothing else compares.........

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to agree that sumo races are the most dynamic and engaging thing to watch on two wheels (trials being a close second) but sumo bikes just dont have the jaw dropping cool factor for non-bikers. that can change (look at how uncool looking nascar is and its popularity) but i dunno if it will

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also wrote in and told Brian Catterson that the press should be doing more to cover Supermoto comparisons, etc. I am glad they put our letters in good plug for the website Rudy

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have to agree that sumo races are the most dynamic and engaging thing to watch on two wheels (trials being a close second) but sumo bikes just dont have the jaw dropping cool factor for non-bikers. that can change (look at how uncool looking nascar is and its popularity) but i dunno if it will
I think it depends on where you live. If you live where every kid has a four wheeler and a dirt bike, when they see a dirt bike in their town with street wheels and tires, their eyes light up with all the fantasies we all had as kids, of riding their dirt bikes on the streets. They think it is the coolest thing they have ever seen.

If you live near the big city, nobody has a clue about dirt bikes, which is fine with me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I was reading my current issue of motorcyclist and the readers mail section. Last month they talked about supermoto "Is it Dead". I had to write in and give my 2 cents on how much fun it is. I also plugged supermotojunkie.com as a great place to join up with other supermoto riders. Hopefully more articles will come mainstream about how great supermoto is.:thumbup:
- Rudy
Colorado Springs, CO
! read it today, your the man, thanks for representing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Supermoto will never be mainstream if the Japanese manufacturers (HONDA!) don't get off their asses and start producing street legal motos to compete with the Euro stuff. If it's not as good as a Husky or a Katoom, than at least better than the DRZ.
We also need race series organizers who aren't racers. Supermoto racing can be a huge show. HUGE! Fun for anyone and everyone. It's such a blast to watch! But we need big sports promoters, not racers or enthusiasts, organizing the racing.
We will see after this year if that will actually work, though. Crossing fingers!
+1

In addition, look at the piss poor setup for MotoGP in the US. Absolutely amateur hour based on poor backing. This is due more to the fact that many nations get government support whereas the US doesn't, but still.

Also, the US fanatacism about "no replacement for displacement" makes most of the yahoos here think these little things are not very "cool". For any thinking being, motards are BY FAR the most fun machine on the road while still being practical; gas mileage, lightweight, durable, inexpensive, capable. But scooters are also a great thing for somewhat similar reasons, yet the average 'merican drives a gas guzzling SUV.

Going even deeper, motorcycles as a whole are in and of themselves fringe here in the US and totally misunderstood and lack of education and information makes them "on the edge". The small amount of info out there puts them into the "Harley" or "crotch rocket" categories.

If some of the lemmings in this country woud look a little deeper, they could see that SM has some similarities to NASCAR (I'm embarassed I just said that) in that there is bar banging and crashes all the time- which is the only reason that ASSCAR is popular in the US. The primary difference is that SM is attainable for the average person.

OK, I'm bored at work and rambling...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Honda and Yamaha have had big-bore street Sumo's overseas for a few years. They're big, slow, soft and pillowy and probably wouldn't do so well over here. They seem to like keeping their street sumo's on the sensible side. They do look the shit, though.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Honda and Yamaha have had big-bore street Sumo's overseas for a few years. They're big, slow, soft and pillowy and probably wouldn't do so well over here. They seem to like keeping their street sumo's on the sensible side. They do look the shit, though.
:thumbup: I couldn't agree more. the big four will never release a street lagal racebike in the US ala KTM, Husky, Husaberg, Aprilia, et al.

In reality, we have plenty of good choices, you just need to be prepared to do the maintenance required and order your parts online. Can't change your own oil or do your own valve checks? Do not apply. ;)

Is there anyone who doesn't think a DRZ 550 or 600 SM wouldn't absolutely rock? But they won't. DRZ is a 400 because that fits one of the size restrictions in the JDM. The Yamaha is a 250 for the same reason.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:thumbup: I couldn't agree more. the big four will never release a street lagal racebike in the US ala KTM, Husky, Husaberg, Aprilia, et al.

In reality, we have plenty of good choices, you just need to be prepared to do the maintenance required and order your parts online. Can't change your own oil or do your own valve checks? Do not apply. ;)

Is there anyone who doesn't think a DRZ 550 or 600 SM wouldn't absolutely rock? But they won't. DRZ is a 400 because that fits one of the size restrictions in the JDM. The Yamaha is a 250 for the same reason.

Forgive my ignorance, but JDM?

·
Registered
52 Posts
JDM=Japanese Domestic Market
Ahh, thanks! :thumbup:

So we need to start having this size restriction here in the US. We also need to start having a graded license system to keep the squids under control- went for a quick ride down Skyline and 9 last night and saw 3 separate squids that went off cliffs.

OK, I've changed direction on the thread, sorry to hijack.

Bottom line, it's cool to get published in Motorcyclist. Sport Rider would be a good one as well since I've always thought Kent Kunitsugu is a cool dude.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts