SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got mine today!!! :) the thing is an absolute blast!! i f'in love it! left work at 5:45 and didn't finally stop riding until about midnight. had a couple quick breaks here and there but did 150 miles. its just to much fun. i did 135 miles before the fuel light finally came on, which is awesome.

the bike handles insane(flicks side to side like it weighs nothing), and it has a ton of power/torque. i suck at wheelieing, but it pulls wheelies in third w/o clutching or bouncing, just grab a handful and give a little tug and up she goes. the very 2nd corner i went around on my way home from work i came out of in a little 2nd gear wheelie.

4th gear pulls like.... ummm, idk what. lol. just roll the throttle on from 3500 right on up to 8k. i gotta try that wire removal mod to trick the ecu in 2nd and 3rd gear because 4th almost seems to pull harder than 3rd. the meat of the power seems to be from 4k-8k. there is no need to get anywhere near the rev limiter on this bike IMO.

6th gear is pretty much useless unless you are doing over 60mph. it just seems to lug in 6th anywhere below that speed. which, don't get me wrong is awesome, IMO. seems like it'd be fine on the highway cruising at 80-85mph.

this bike is much more fun than i remember my 636 being. it is fun at legal speeds, unlike the 636. i saw a few cops here and there and every time i saw one i'd check my speedo and i was actually going under the speed limit. i'd find myself slowing down on the straights and speeding up for/during the turns.

one thing to recommend: make sure you check your tire pressure before going too crazy. i was rushing the guys at my shop to get it together and all, so they never checked the tire pressure. when i checked it right after my 20 minute ride home she was at 45 psi front and back. at one point i shifted into 3rd and got a bit of headshake. knocked em down to 30 psi front and back and the bike was all under control. i'll check them cold in the morning and see where they are.

i have a few pics that i took when i finally got home. excuse the dirty garage... and bike. i will take nice pics on a nice sunny day when she is all clean.

oh and after doing 150 miles in one night i feel pretty good. my ass is fine, my left wrist is a lil sore because i haven't riden a bike in two years so i'm not used to the clutch. it is a pretty easy clutch though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds great, now i just need to find one lol
yes, yes you do!

i can't get over how fun this bike is. my only problem is not being able to find a twisty enough road to ride on. i will do some exploring in the next couple days to try to make my chicken strips/squid marks much smaller.

i forgot to add that the LH rear blinker is melted pretty badly, we even stuck heat tape on the back side before we even started it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
yes, yes you do!

i can't get over how fun this bike is. my only problem is not being able to find a twisty enough road to ride on. i will do some exploring in the next couple days to try to make my chicken strips/squid marks much smaller.
we've got alot of them roads here in new mexico, i have a K6 GSXR1000 now, so looking forward to and SMC, I just got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis today, so not sure how much longer i'll be able to ride, depends on the progression, my right side is weak, but still working, so hoping to find one and ride like crazy until i have to quit riding.....which I hope isn't for awhile, but only time will tell....sometimes life sucks....and I can't find a dealer around that has one yet, although i think they are just getting them now out west, so if anyone knows of one around, i have cash....thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we've got alot of them roads here in new mexico, i have a K6 GSXR1000 now, so looking forward to and SMC, I just got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis today, so not sure how much longer i'll be able to ride, depends on the progression, my right side is weak, but still working, so hoping to find one and ride like crazy until i have to quit riding.....which I hope isn't for awhile, but only time will tell....sometimes life sucks....and I can't find a dealer around that has one yet, although i think they are just getting them now out west, so if anyone knows of one around, i have cash....thanks
sorry to hear that man. hope everything is alright.

·
Registered
340 Posts
mcjasonb....try the 2nd and 3rd gear mod and let us now how to do it with some pictures! Also, give some feedback on the difference that you felt with it done. As soon as I pick up my bike on Saturday I will be doing this mod to get the most out of the bike.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks!

i just unhooked those two wires that go to the shift lever. the neutral light stays on when in neutral like it should so thats good. i will let you guys know if i notice anything. i already have it on the advance setting on the dial under the seat. we'll see if i unlocked anymore hidden power.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I did about 70 miles on mine yesterday and it fun but it has a few issues that need to be straightened out. A few observations.

1) the blinker is now a dripping blob of plastic. Stupid!
2) I wish it had a spot to store insurance, registration, a helmet lock, something!
3) Power for a single cylinder shocked me. I lifted the front wheel at 40mph several times but I had to help it a bit.
4) front wheel does not turn sharp enough for a tard. The wheel cut is poor. It sucks when you are trying to turn around in your front yard or whatever. You will never notice it on the streets.
5) Shifting was awesome for the most part but it was weird because 2 times in the upper gears I shifted and it was just in a false neutral. Both times were good solid shifts.
6) I want more midrange. I want it to be like a Husky 510 and for it to wheelie uncontrollably all the time. It needs an exhaust, airbox lid removal (it's VERY restrictive looking), and reprogramming to get this. I can hardly wait!
7) Mine pops on decel quite a bit.
8) I could give it full throttle while leaned over in a turn (not really a turn, more like a slow intersection), it would wheelie while I was still leaned over, I could then grab 2nd using no clutch and maintain the wheelie for 50 feet or so. It made me feel like some kind of hero as it was a lot of fun.
9) It does not do stoppies nearly as well as my DRZ. I think it is because their is so much weight sitting in the tailsection. It's hard to get it to lift and when it does it starts to come up really fast and sort of unpredictable. I'm going to add some tank foam to try and help w/ this. The other problem is the forks are so stiff they don't transfer the weight very well to the front tire.
10) My biggest issue w/ the bike is the general set up of the suspension. It is set up like a full roadracer which the old me (expert racer, full time canyon knee dragger) would have loved. But the new me finds it too stiff and unforgiving for street riding. Also, it's too freakin' tall! I'm 6' and I am on my tip toes which is silly.
11) I let one of my roadrace friends ride it and I was sure he would not care for it. He was completely smitten w/ it. Everyone loves the looks and everyone that rides it loves the performance.
12) brakes absolutely kick ass!
13) clutch it flawless
14) The 6 speed is cool. I might gear it down and have a sick wheelie machine or I might just leave it and have a tall overdrive when I need to cruise the highways. Either way it's a big improvement over my former 5 speed.
15) This bike is stable. My DRZ wobbled quite bad at 70 mph plus but the SMC is as stable as any full streetbike. Cool!

Tonight I will try softening the suspension (although it has clearly started to break in and get softer on it's own) and sliding the forks up a bit in the trees to get it lower to the ground and a bit quicker turn in. I will also pull the evaporation equipment and unplug those wires.

That's all for now.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
day two...

the wire mod seems to have woken up 2nd and 3rd gear, especially third gear. 3rd gear wheelies are even easier now, and it definitely pulls a lil bit harder in third now.

i am getting really REALLY comfortable cornering on this thing. i still haven't been able to hit a sharp enough corner quite hard enough to get to the edge of the tire but i'm very close now. i have maybe an 1/8 inch on each side of the rear that hasn't touched the pavement yet. i took this one 1/2 mile section of road about 3-4 times back to back going faster each time and it felt great. i'm sure in the next week i'll have her to the edge on each side of the rear.

still have no complaints at all about this bike other than the turn signal problem. lol

1 - 20 of 100 Posts