SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
That dude has some skills, but why a drz for somebody at that level. That bike is on steroids though.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Didnt Schwantz win at Copper Mountain on a DRZ4?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That dude has some skills, but why a drz for somebody at that level. That bike is on steroids though.
don't compare the DRZ ,DRZ s and DRZ-E with a drz SM, they look the same, but they're a world of difference...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't compare the DRZ ,DRZ s and DRZ-E with a drz SM, they look the same, but they're a world of difference...
the base model is different but if your going to build one to race the sm is a better platform to build off of and did any of you see the video of him on a totaly stock sm still pretty amazing.

·
6,598 Posts
the base model is different but if your going to build one to race the sm is a better platform to build off of
why? all drz motors are built on the same basic motor, the SM has just been downtuned a bit to make it more reliable. if you take a drz SM motor and fit the parts that are different of let's say an E model it would put out the same amount of power, there's allready people who have done exactly that. if anything the E or regular drz versions are more potent because they allready make more power in stock form compared to the SM version, roughly 10 hp more, therefor they are a better starting point if you want to build a racebike.

and yeah I saw the other vid as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
why? all drz motors are built on the same basic motor, the SM has just been downtuned a bit to make it more reliable. if you take a drz SM motor and fit the parts that are different of let's say an E model it would put out the same amount of power, there's allready people who have done exactly that. if anything the E or regular drz versions are more potent because they allready make more power in stock form compared to the SM version, roughly 10 hp more, therefor they are a better starting point if you want to build a racebike.

and yeah I saw the other vid as well.
Nope, you're wrong, the S and SM are the same but not the E, the E has a different carb (FCR if not mistaken) that's the main reason it makes more HP (doubt if it's 10 hp though) The SM has 17' wheels and USD with rebound and compression settings, so easier to track than the other 2. Just need a different carb.

·
6,598 Posts
try fitting just a carb on the sm and it still won't make the same power as an E or regular drz. I was also on about the motor itself, meaning the head, crankcases, cilinder, gaskets and so on, technically the carb is a seperate part, that's what I was on about.

the sm's at 40 crankhp and the E and regular drz are at approx. 50 crankhp, that's 10 hp right there and on track that will make a difference. put a converted E or DRZ against a DRZ SM and it'll be quicker around a track if ridden by the same rider eventough it doesn't have a USD forks with comp and rebound settings. that extra power will make a difference that's why I say a converted E or DRZ would be a better choice for a tracktool. the fact that the sm allready has sm wheels just has a financial benefit but that won't make it go faster around a track compared to a converted bike.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
the base model is different but if your going to build one to race the sm is a better platform to build off of and did any of you see the video of him on a totaly stock sm still pretty amazing.

no . if you want to race a DRZ, choose a DRZ,DRZ E or DRZ S. not the SM.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess its all about were you want to spend your money. I have rode the e, s, and sm and i would rather start with the sm the usd forks 17s and 310mm floating rotor and the block adjustment swingarm although it offers no preformance gains i personaly just hate the cam style. made the sm more appealing to me. Though the E motor is more potent do to cam carb and more comppresion and the early ones sheded weight by not having a starter and a slighty lighter subframe, wireing harness, and no headlight or taillight assembly thats all small potatos and would be taken care of when making a race ready bike anyways. pluse reworkin the suspention. but a drz wouldent be on the same level as a 450 no matter what you do to it so its not a great choise for a race bike anyway.

·
Registered
426 Posts
personally, I'd rather make a few minor mods to the engine and carb, than have to completely replace the suspension with a completely different kind. It's not like you're really going to leave the engine stock anyways. You will probably mod it no matter what model you get, but you won't have to touch the suspension, wheels, or brakes with the SM.

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
try fitting just a carb on the sm and it still won't make the same power as an E or regular drz. I was also on about the motor itself, meaning the head, crankcases, cilinder, gaskets and so on, technically the carb is a seperate part, that's what I was on about.

the sm's at 40 crankhp and the E and regular drz are at approx. 50 crankhp, that's 10 hp right there and on track that will make a difference. put a converted E or DRZ against a DRZ SM and it'll be quicker around a track if ridden by the same rider eventough it doesn't have a USD forks with comp and rebound settings. that extra power will make a difference that's why I say a converted E or DRZ would be a better choice for a tracktool. the fact that the sm allready has sm wheels just has a financial benefit but that won't make it go faster around a track compared to a converted bike.

well sorry for the double post and you are correct that a financial benefit like wheels wont make you faster that a converted motard but take a sm with the basic mods and an e model with the same basic mods then have the sm's suspension reworked and for the e model go buy a wheel set and tires. i would bet money the same rider would put down faster lap times on the sm for less money. 10hp more or not.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You DRZ guys are funny! :D BTW-Schwantz, Chambon, Pastrana, Yates all raced bikes based off the K kicker model. They used Ohlins USD forks, after market triple clamps, Ohlins or other "works" type shocks, Brembo racing brakes. Schwantz's bike had an "unobtanium" magnesium bodied flat slide carb (very trick). They all used Yosh built 450 motors. Biggest problem, they were a little heavy. But pre CRF 450 days, the DRZ was a pretty reasonable choice for an SM race bike. What? You mean the Japanese manu's haven't always had aluminum framed 450 MX bikes? :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts