SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually ridden on or used GoldenTyre slicks? They have a bunch of compounds as well as a "RACE" compound. (Aren't all slicks for racing? :D)
Anyways, I sell GoldenTyre moto tires, but don't have access to the slicks. I was going to pursue becoming a dealer for SM tires as well, but didn't want to if they were crap. Their dirt lineup is stellar, some of the best tires in the industry as far as I'm concerned (Graham Jarvis did just win Erzberg on them) so could the SM tires be that far off?
Any honest feedback would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Geoff

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Those tires are not available in the 'States Geoff. The Euro guys will have to chime in.

I do seem to recall from past discussions, that the Goldentyre SM slicks were generally well recieved.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I would venture to guess they are good tires since Many pros run them in Europe. But then again, they are a sponsor for a lot of the racing. Maybe they are a spec tire that all racers have to run when competing in certain classes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I had a set of GT250 "RACE" compound tires shipped in from England. WAY expensive, but great tires. Shipping was $230. Ouch. Anyways, the tires are phenominal. Front was a 16.5" which was mounted on Alpina carbon tubeless wheels. Rear was a 162/55-17. Tires hooked up amazing with a lot of edge grip and feedback. My rider who normaly runs Michelin's, said they felt identical as far as grip and predictability. The front tire was used for 3 race weekends and helped my rider win the #1 plate in 450 Intermediate and Unlimited Intermediate up here in BC, Canada. The rear tire was my only concern as it showed considerable wear after only one race weekend. Longevity seems to be a bit of a concern here. This is a major problem as far as I'm concerned as nobody is going to pay equal money as Michelin/Dunlop for a product that performs as well or better, but only gets half the life. So after testing one set of tires, it answers a few questions but leaves me with so much more. Now I wonder how the old compound tire, the GOP3237M medium compound slick works. Is the grip comparable to the new "race" compound, or has grip been diminshed as a trade off for lifespan? Another major factor was price. The GoldenTyre "race" compound tires were over $50 more per tire than previous models, putting them over the cost of rival Michelin and Dunlop. Hmmmm, I think GoldenTyre needs to sharpen their pencil a bit.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
according to a fast frenchman who raced in the states this year the golden tyres are rubbish. He claimed at least 2-3 seconds per lap slower than a dunlop / stone / mich SM race tire

just look at the racing in europe, they slide WAY more on those golden tires than the name brand stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, that's odd. Like I said, my rider who normally runs Michelin's said the grip was fantastic on the GoldenTyre's, it was the longevity that was the concern. I mean, don't get me wrong, Ryan is nowhere as fast as the UEM supermoto racers that run at a world level, but on that note, I'm not looking to sell tires to those guys. I'm trying to supply tires to our local scene that has no trackside support from any of the other tire vendors. I just want to sell a decent product that is good value for the money. Shinko tires are garbage, but they're priced that way.
Anyways, I've been trying to get ahold of someone who has actually ran these tires of various compounds, not just a, "I know this guy who's brother in-law used to race on them and he says...."

Sorry, I'm not picking on you or your response. I don't mean that to come across rude, but you have to understand from my point of view that as a supplier/vendor, I'm just trying to research the product a bit before I buy $10,000 worth of tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ScottieDawg, I agree with what you said about the frenchman who raced last year in Europe on them. From what I keep hearing, the 2010 tires were really poor. But if he raced in the states this season, then he obviously didn't run the 2011 compound which only became available at the second round in Plevin. You have to at least give GodenTyre a little credit that they tried a tire one year, listened to the feedback and came out with a new tire compound/construction for the next season.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
none taken! I was just providing feedback on what I gathered from a conversation with a french and US champion who rides at a level that I cannot even understand. For mortals the golden tyres would be a good choice if they were economical.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
according to a fast frenchman who raced in the states this year the golden tyres are rubbish. He claimed at least 2-3 seconds per lap slower than a dunlop / stone / mich SM race tire
you speak the truth. compared to the years they were running dunlops they are in fact a couple seconds a lap slower with the golden tyres. and this is a response I got from multiple riders, even the guys that aren't at the top of the list.

@ gpmoto, I think you're one of the only guys actually praising golden tyres to be quite frank. they're not bad tyres by any means, but they're not on the level compared to other dedicated supermoto tyres out there like dunlops or michelins.

the idea "the world championship guys run them so they must be good" doesn't really fly. the world and european championship riders run them because golden tyre is the control rubber for the entire series since 2010. before that the contract belonged to dunlop but their cooperation with youthstream (kind of the series owner) ended in 2009 leaving the door open for other tyre manufacturers to step in. the deal eventually went to golden tyre. every team has to buy their tyres off the supplier at the races. when a team or rider buys the exact same tyres from another source they can't even run them. the first year golden tyres were used pretty much every rider out there they interviewed stated they had "tyre problems", simply meaning the tyres weren't working all that well compared to the dunlops they ran the year before.

when you see those same riders enter races that aren't part of the WC or other championships sponsored by the same manufacturers, they're not running golden tyres. the best example I can give is the superbiker at mettet. I always get a chance to have a good look in the paddock what every rider is running. you see the same top guys like the chareyere brothers, lazarini, hermunen, etc ride there like you would in the WC. when they enter there they can run the tyres of their choice, or their teams choice at least, and I can say with near certainty that they all run either dunlops or michelins, with a few bridgestones, goldspeed and metzlers thrown into the mix. this year I haven't spotted any guys running golden tyres.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Skully.
I do agree with you, that all you have to do is look at what they run when they're not racing in the FIM series. If they continued to run GoldenTyre, then they must not be that bad. But when they get chance to run something else and they do, it's a statement in itself. Thanks for the positive input. I will pursue Michelin I think....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
in our neck of the woods we hear that in the future bridgestone will be the only SM tire manufacturer. Dunlop is out for sure, and we hear that mich, is also going to be out...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts