SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2019 drz400sm needs to go tubeless, I ride exclusively on the street absolutely no dirt at all. The only question I have is I read little things about grinding down the nipples on the rear wheel is this true? I have the outex
Kit and have watched all the videos on installation doesn't look like a big problem, pretty easy if you ask me.

Thanks duane馃榿

Registered
Hi Duane, I had to look up OutEX to see what it was all about..... Looks like some pretty cool stuff, and some badazz tape!! I didn't find anything about grinding down nipples though.... I saw instructions in one pic, that I wish I could read, because this is some cool stuff! From what I see, I would guess that they would want you to grind off any spoke material that protrudes through the nipple (so it doesn't puncture the tape) but I haven't seen any sticking through for years. I can't believe anyone could tell you to grind the "nipple" as this would compromise the strength and torque capabilities of the whole spoke and wheel.
With that said, I would definitely want a completely broken-in wheel (meaning that the spokes have been tightened a couple of times, and no longer become loose), before installing the outex system....... you won't want to be tightening spokes after installing the seal!!!
Please let us know if you can feel the difference going tubeless, as I am sure most people on this forum have ridden a DRZ before.
Keith

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Duane, I had to look up OutEX to see what it was all about..... Looks like some pretty cool stuff, and some badazz tape!! I didn't find anything about grinding down nipples though.... I saw instructions in one pic, that I wish I could read, because this is some cool stuff! From what I see, I would guess that they would want you to grind off any spoke material that protrudes through the nipple (so it doesn't puncture the tape) but I haven't seen any sticking through for years. I can't believe anyone could tell you to grind the "nipple" as this would compromise the strength and torque capabilities of the whole spoke and wheel.
With that said, I would definitely want a completely broken-in wheel (meaning that the spokes have been tightened a couple of times, and no longer become loose), before installing the outex system....... you won't want to be tightening spokes after installing the seal!!!
Please let us know if you can feel the difference going tubeless, as I am sure most people on this forum have ridden a DRZ before.
Keith
so I finished the job it went really well I did have to grind down the nipples on the rear wheel they stick up quite a bit but it turned out good still holding air after three days. The ride quality is much better I'm still playing around with air pressures, it is very different without tubes, right now I'm running 22 in the front and 28 in the rear. I think I can drop them down a little bit more but not much. I'm 230 pounds with all the gear on I had to re spring this bike, the factory Springs were just not cutting it. The outex kit is definitely worth the money it makes it very easy.:giggle:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts