SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on racing the 250 class and I don't know what bike to get. As of right now I am looking at a KTM 06 250sxf, but I don't see to many KTM 250's out there. I was using an 00 cr125 (some of you may have seen me at sears point, I was the only two stroke) and now that I have seen how much fun sm is I want to start racing. I fear the Honda 4 stroke but I like the yz250f, so it would be a toss up between a Yamaha or a KTM what do you think?
Thanks

·
Registered
901 Posts
Husky time-bomb you mean, Ktm's according to my engine builder are awesome easy 40hp with a pipe and airbox mod, they ride alittle different due to a no linkage rear suspension, me I'm still a Honda guy ,but the reality is these are race bikes they need care and feeding they blow-up, mine is gonna need the exhaust seats replaced already with only 6hrs on it, so what ever you buy be prepared to spend some money beyond initial purchase price.......

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Husky time-bomb you mean, Ktm's according to my engine builder are awesome easy 40hp with a pipe and airbox mod, they ride alittle different due to a no linkage rear suspension, me I'm still a Honda guy ,but the reality is these are race bikes they need care and feeding they blow-up, mine is gonna need the exhaust seats replaced already with only 6hrs on it, so what ever you buy be prepared to spend some money beyond initial purchase price.......
racing is like a boat be prepared to spend spend spend, I'm liking the ktm's though

·
Registered
901 Posts
also,don't forget the 250 class has all the young and up encomers,

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
the 2008 ktm 250xc-w (e) is a 2-stroke 250 with e-start!! I'm not sure you need it on a 250, but its different, and it'd be useful. I read a review about the bike and it seemed like it'd make a great sumo bike b/c it has the expected top and bottom end power, but it's midrange is supposed to be really smooth and good for a 2-stroke. But since its a 2008, finding a used one will be tough, and sticker price is a little over $7k!!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
18 fudge ,I'm old enough to be your dad.......

·
Registered
901 Posts
your gonna hear it all your life,I'm only 38, and a guy today told me the same thing,and when he was young blah blah,if you ask my ex wife I'm still 12 tho.........

·
Registered
300 Posts
my Honda crf250 Tokyo mods motor makes 44 HP and is bullet proof!!
Honda motors run stong just dont over fill the oil levels!!!
motor side 650cc. stock is 700cc thats great for moto-x not for super
moto, 700cc at speed creates to much preasure starts to leak.
trany side stock levels ok, replace timing chain tentioner with a
ajustable.replace oil & filter at max 6-8 hrs if you ride it on the stop.
motor should last 2 seasons with no problems..run kendell sae 30wt.

·
Registered
901 Posts
love to see the valves in that thing after a season as well as a dyno run,beggining of the year and after ; you running the tokyomods ignition as well? that"s a top-end killer,you wouldn't think a extra 600rpm would do so much damage

·
Registered
300 Posts
both motors built in 05 .one just rebuilt last month.2nd motor still runs
great. both with tokyo ignitions.2nd motor has one season,1st motor
had 05,06,07 seasons + several flat track races on it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm amazed,still have my doubts tho.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
my Honda crf250 Tokyo mods motor makes 44 HP and is bullet proof!!
motor should last 2 seasons with no problems
Glad your having such great luck! But thats not what I saw at the nationals in 2006. Dalton Dimick was trying to run a Tokyo Mods CRF250 and the motor would not make it through qualifying. For most mains Dalton had to switch to his backup bike that did not have a Tokyo Mods engine.

I have run the KTM 250 SX-F for 2 years at the nationals, the motor is the most reliable and durable of all the 250's. It is also the easiest to work on.
I have nothing but praise for the motor, but there are fewer aftermarket items for KTM'S making them harder to convert to your liking.

Mike Hammett

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm thinkin' 44hp at the crank maybe...........

·
Registered
300 Posts
what ever you decide to ride,you'll have some much fun!!! I much
rather ride my moto than my tz or rs. supermoto:thumbup: is awsome!!!
have fun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm thinkin' 44hp at the crank maybe...........
I concur. Im not sure RHC is even getting that at the wheel and he does some sick sh!t. And im sorry but no motor pushing that at the wheel is gonna last more than a couple races.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I concur. Im not sure RHC is even getting that at the wheel and he does some sick sh!t. And im sorry but no motor pushing that at the wheel is gonna last more than a couple races.
That is what I'm talking about I cannot afford to pay for that, but how about a stock motor with mods, hows the life on something like that?

·
Registered
431 Posts
That is what I'm talking about I cannot afford to pay for that, but how about a stock motor with mods, hows the life on something like that?
That's way too hard to call. First, what do you consider mods? Saying stock motor with mods sort of contradicts itself.. Aside from that it all boils down to how hard you ride it and how well you keep up on maitnance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts