SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to replace my KLR650 with a SM type bike. Over the past week I have been on a WRX, a DRZ-SM, and a couple larger and more expensive motos.

If I compared everything except the grin I got twisting my wrist, the WRX wins by varying margins over the DRZ. Maybe I just wasn't wringing the WRX out enough as I have heard the two are close performance-wise, but I thought the DRZ felt significantly stronger. Both were brand new with less than one mile on them before I took them for a spin. I fear if I bought the WRX I would be selling it for a more powerful one a month later.

Will it be possible to get the WRX at or possibly exceeding box-stock DRZ performance without sacrificing interstate-ability and general reliability? And spending, say, $1000-ish? Any more than that and I could look at a more "exotic" ride (ie, a dealer here has a couple G650X-moto's with a few hundred miles for $7000; heavier bike than I want but that was a fun 45 minute test ride!). I know with a 150cc disadvantage it will never have the torque but I'm talking overall, bottom line performance (pure acceleration if you will). I'm buying this bike for 99.7% street duty and a fair amount of interstate travel (commuting, trips, etc) so simply gearing it way down isn't something I would consider..

Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Considering the WRX weighs in considerably less, achieving a greater power to weight ratio should be relatively easy. I would suspect that with a new exhaust, K&N filter, and power programmer the gains should be easily attained.

You also have one other advantage for the WRX... It's much, much, much sexier!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Considering the WRX weighs in considerably less, achieving a greater power to weight ratio should be relatively easy. I would suspect that with a new exhaust, K&N filter, and power programmer the gains should be easily attained.

You also have one other advantage for the WRX... It's much, much, much sexier!!!

AND ......................FUEL INJECTED. Carbs are so 90s.:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our wrx got significantly faster after about 20 miles got tached on. Also, pulling the cork out of the exhaust helped a bit. When we first got it, I was a little disappointed too. Now that it's broken in, it's a blast.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Our wrx got significantly faster after about 20 miles got tached on. Also, pulling the cork out of the exhaust helped a bit. When we first got it, I was a little disappointed too. Now that it's broken in, it's a blast.
I agree, my WRX definitely felt stronger once broken in (500 miles or so). Adding an FMF Q4 made a HUGE difference too. You won't realize HOW corked up the stock muffler is until you get something that flows better. Awesome sound too, I might add. With some airbox and filter mods, a header pipe, and some dyno time to dial in the power commander, it's going to be a zippy ride.
My guess is that with the weight loss of the stock exhaust and the other mods, power to weight on a modified WRX would be very comparable to a stock DRZ.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Corked-Up or Fuel Restricted?

I've got over 2k on my bike, and for most of it, felt somewhat disappointed with the power. Just put a Power Commander on it and WOW what a difference... now this is what I expected from the bike.

Really flattened the power band out, creates smooth power at all RPMs, reduces the FI snatch in the low gears and cold start bog. Now I can happily live with the bike - it's bone stock otherwise.

Thinking about a slip-on, but I really care for the extra noise... I ride through in too many areas where stealth is an advantage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had my first ride on a DRZ the other day, and honestly I'd race that bike anytime with WRX. Keep in mind there is a significant gearing difference between the bikes stock as well. Dropping a tooth off the front or several larger in the rear will net better performance for the WRX, and my guess is the bike will still have better top end due to the six speed.

I also ditto the guys on here talking about break in time and a pipe. Since before the 600 mile oil change, I've noticed significant gains in power. Even at 4500 feet elevation the bike will easily wheelie in the first two gears and with a little clutch motivation in third. For reference I have the FMF Q4 exhaust, but no other peformance mods yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well for me personally this isn't an issue anymore as an SM610 just fell in my lap this afternoon for a lot less than what I was going to drop on either the WRX or DRZ (note to self: go get deposit back for the DRZ..). Should be fun! :thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just to start off......I own an X......really enjoy it. I set out to get a DRZ but none were available in my area. I have no regrets with the X.

That being said......IMO, it would be really difficult to get an X with a boatload of mods up to a stock DRZ level of power. Stock X's are about 26-27 hp, stock DRZ's are about 33-34hp. That's a pretty big gap to bridge with a little 250.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to start off......I own an X......really enjoy it. I set out to get a DRZ but none were available in my area. I have no regrets with the X.

That being said......IMO, it would be really difficult to get an X with a boatload of mods up to a stock DRZ level of power. Stock X's are about 26-27 hp, stock DRZ's are about 33-34hp. That's a pretty big gap to bridge with a little 250.
Consider the power to weight ratio my friend

·
Registered
45 Posts
Isn't there only a ~15# difference between the two?
Dry weight on the DRZ is 321, dry weight on the WRX is 280... Bringing our weight difference to 41 pounds.

Drop 6 for a new exhaust, 1 for a new taillight assembly... 47 pounds difference.

DRZ stock HP is 33

WRX stock HP is 27

I did the math.

DRZ power to weight ratio is 9.7:1

WRX power to weight ratio: 10.1:1

And the winner is... YAMAHA!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Dry weight on the DRZ is 321, dry weight on the WRX is 280... Bringing our weight difference to 41 pounds.

Drop 6 for a new exhaust, 1 for a new taillight assembly... 47 pounds difference.

DRZ stock HP is 33

WRX stock HP is 27

I did the math.

DRZ power to weight ratio is 9.7:1

WRX power to weight ratio: 10.1:1

And the winner is... YAMAHA!
awww... it's only fair to take the 7lbs off the drz with the same mods (pipe,tail) :D You really need to ride an uncorked DRZ... full yosh, airbox mod + proper jetting. It also gets woken up!

·
Registered
52 Posts
i dropped about 5 pounds by putting on a drc rear end, and taking off the mudflap, tool kit, exhaust shield, reflectors and one mirror

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy cow..I had two different dealers tell me the DRZ was 295# and I swear I read that number somewhere else. For the size of the bike..that thing's a porker.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Holy cow..I had two different dealers tell me the DRZ was 295# and I swear I read that number somewhere else. For the size of the bike..that thing's a porker.
It says right on the Suzuki website under specs. that the curb weight of the DRZ is 321 lbs... Sounds like the Suzuki dealers were blowing smoke up your ass.

All this being said, the DRZ is still a badass bike and we should all be happy we ride SuMo's and not anything else!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts