SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to maximize my stock suspension? I'm a heavy dude (245lbs) so I know that the stock suspension is never gonna get me where I want to be know matter what I do to it, but I don't have the money to upgrade it right now. I'm hoping to atleast make it stiffer than the factory settings, but suspension is really the only realm of motard maintenance that i'm uncomfortable tinkering with. Just wondering what some of you heavier guys are running for a set-up for fairly aggressive street riding and wheelies. Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
re-valve and have it set up for your weight?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just looking for stock settings man...leaving it on the bike to make adjustments.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm just looking for stock settings man...leaving it on the bike to make adjustments.
Supension is an absolute science. If you can'e muster the $ to send it to Dave at Fasbikeindustries, I would check the owners manual and see if you can get the lowdown on stiffenning it up front and rear. AS I recall, the stock DRZ sm suspension on mine was soft for me, and I am 190lbs.....

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Take it to someone who knows how to set them up. I paid $37 to have mine set up at a local shop. Racetech only makes one stiffer spring for the DRZ up front and its a .46 I believe. The stocker is a .44
What did they do, just ride it up and down the street and screw with the clickers? How big an improvement was it?

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
He set it up for my weight, the same way you set up a sport bike.
I've never had a sportbike. What did that involve? Oil and springs? Seems like a pretty good price for that? I think I might have to do that. I want to get a re-valve done by FBI, but not sure when I'm going to do that.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had my DRZ forks and shock revalved and resprung by MX Tech. everything worked 100% better after the rework. still have the shock setup for 200lbs if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have my stock shit still and it work fine and i abuse the shit out of my drz!:thumbup: i just talked to some one who raced motards for along time and basically tightened the hell out of the rear and went stiffer on compression and rebound front clickers. almost close to being maxed out for 195lbs.:anim_peep:

·
Registered
52 Posts
although suspension tuning seems very complicated, it's not. All it takes is an understanding of the damping. The key factor is experience as you will need to select a starting point. More experience yo have, the closer your starting point will be hence less work to get it right. Rear shock is harder to work on due to some special equipment involved in order to evac/recharge the shock with nitrogen.

Anyway, start with your rear shock. Suspension is there to support bike and rider, that's where proper sag #s are coming in place. With proper sag, your suspension is setup to perform its best and will actually do its job.
There are two most important parts: spring - support the bike and rider; and damping system - controls the above spring, most importantly on the rebound stroke as that's when spring is really out of control.
If you on the budget, get correct rear spring for your weight as a bare minimum, stock DRZ spring is ok for 170-180lbs rider. Lighter or heavier. new spring is a must. After that stiffen the comp and slow down (turn in) the rebound. It will improve your stability in tarmac corners. Set rebound at about 3/4 closed as a starting point. Same thing for your comp - start with 3/4 closed.
Your rear sag should be 80-90mm (rider sag). To decrease sag, crank in preload adjuster on the spring.
Once rear is some where close to what we need, go to the front. Front forks can be raised about 12-15mm. Make sure you still can access air bleed screws should you elect to raise forks. Same thing for comp/rebound starting points for the front - 3/4 of the full range. No way to adjust preload on your forks without taking them apart but measure the sag anyway. Good # is around 25mm but if you don't have it, don't sweat it. Go and ride the piss out of her. Once you will feel that suspension holds your lap #'s back, go and spend some cash. Until than, $100 for new rear spring and you are in much better shape than before.

Tire pressure - important part of the suspension setup. For our 17's, good # seems to be 20-25lbs

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
although suspension tuning seems very complicated, it's not. All it takes is an understanding of the damping. The key factor is experience as you will need to select a starting point. More experience yo have, the closer your starting point will be hence less work to get it right. Rear shock is harder to work on due to some special equipment involved in order to evac/recharge the shock with nitrogen.

Anyway, start with your rear shock. Suspension is there to support bike and rider, that's where proper sag #s are coming in place. With proper sag, your suspension is setup to perform its best and will actually do its job.
There are two most important parts: spring - support the bike and rider; and damping system - controls the above spring, most importantly on the rebound stroke as that's when spring is really out of control.
If you on the budget, get correct rear spring for your weight as a bare minimum, stock DRZ spring is ok for 170-180lbs rider. Lighter or heavier. new spring is a must. After that stiffen the comp and slow down (turn in) the rebound. It will improve your stability in tarmac corners. Set rebound at about 3/4 closed as a starting point. Same thing for your comp - start with 3/4 closed.
Your rear sag should be 80-90mm (rider sag). To decrease sag, crank in preload adjuster on the spring.
Once rear is some where close to what we need, go to the front. Front forks can be raised about 12-15mm. Make sure you still can access air bleed screws should you elect to raise forks. Same thing for comp/rebound starting points for the front - 3/4 of the full range. No way to adjust preload on your forks without taking them apart but measure the sag anyway. Good # is around 25mm but if you don't have it, don't sweat it. Go and ride the piss out of her. Once you will feel that suspension holds your lap #'s back, go and spend some cash. Until than, $100 for new rear spring and you are in much better shape than before.

Tire pressure - important part of the suspension setup. For our 17's, good # seems to be 20-25lbs
What about the high speed adjuster on the shock?

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about the high speed adjuster on the shock?
high speed is for hits such as square edge bumps, lipped jump faces, slapping down on logs, g-outs
low speed: rolling bumps, steep jump faces etc.

starting point for SM is:

low comp - 10 clicks out
high comp - 1 1/8 turns out
rebound - 14 clicks out
all of the above from full closed out

Which way are you going with your spring? stock, lighter, stiffer? If stiffer or riding mostly tarmac, decrease rebound, I'd start with 12 click and see if it still slaps you in the butt

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
high speed is for hits such as square edge bumps, lipped jump faces, slapping down on logs, g-outs
low speed: rolling bumps, steep jump faces etc.

starting point for SM is:

low comp - 10 clicks out
high comp - 1 1/8 turns out
rebound - 14 clicks out
all of the above from full closed out

Which way are you going with your spring? stock, lighter, stiffer? If stiffer or riding mostly tarmac, decrease rebound, I'd start with 12 click and see if it still slaps you in the butt
Alright, I thought it was something like that. I guess I won't mess with that unless I feel that it needs to be stiffer on landing.

My shock's already set like that according to the book that came with the bike.

I'm not going to be getting a new spring right now, if I even need one. I'll wait until I send it out for a re-valve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Alright, I thought it was something like that. I guess I won't mess with that unless I feel that it needs to be stiffer on landing.

My shock's already set like that according to the book that came with the bike.

I'm not going to be getting a new spring right now, if I even need one. I'll wait until I send it out for a re-valve.
I'm a pretty heavy guy too at 230lbs. I have been playing with my stock suspension a bit the last couple days. I like the compreesion on the forks at 4 clicks out, the rebound at around 10 clicks, the rear low speed at 3 clicks out and the high speed rear at about 1/8 turn out( im still working on the high rear, I think it may be a touch stiff I'll probibly goo 1/4 turn and test it soon). oh and my preload on the rear is almost maxed.

If I were you Id set everything to full stiff and take it for a nice long hard ride. Then adjust it from there. Without buying new springs and valving, it will never be perfect for us heavy guys. I got quoted around $1k for new race tech gold valves and springs installed front and rear, and I just dont have the extra cash right now so adjustments to the stock setup are all I can do.

dont be scared to play around with your suspension! try it stiff, try it soft, see what works for the riding you do.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I'm a pretty heavy guy too at 230lbs. I have been playing with my stock suspension a bit the last couple days. I like the compreesion on the forks at 4 clicks out, the rebound at around 10 clicks, the rear low speed at 3 clicks out and the high speed rear at about 1/8 turn out( im still working on the high rear, I think it may be a touch stiff I'll probibly goo 1/4 turn and test it soon). oh and my preload on the rear is almost maxed.

If I were you Id set everything to full stiff and take it for a nice long hard ride. Then adjust it from there. Without buying new springs and valving, it will never be perfect for us heavy guys. I got quoted around $1k for new race tech gold valves and springs installed front and rear, and I just dont have the extra cash right now so adjustments to the stock setup are all I can do.

dont be scared to play around with your suspension! try it stiff, try it soft, see what works for the riding you do.

-Dan
Oh, well for me I think I might be alright with the stock springs. I'm only 145 before gear. For the re-valve I'm going to go with www.fastbikeindustries.com the guys who have used him rave about the excellent job he does, and even though I haven't gotten a solid answer from anyone, they all hint at it not being all that expensive. I'm gonna call him up again as soon as I can allocate the cash for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh, well for me I think I might be alright with the stock springs. I'm only 145 before gear. For the re-valve I'm going to go with www.fastbikeindustries.com the guys who have used him rave about the excellent job he does, and even though I haven't gotten a solid answer from anyone, they all hint at it not being all that expensive. I'm gonna call him up again as soon as I can allocate the cash for it.
Where in NJ are you? I've heard about fbi suspension on this forum and everyone seems to be happy with their work.
If you want to have local guy working on your suspension, I know top one notch shop right here in NJ, they are also Ohlins authorized shop. http://www.propilotracing.com/ Give them a call and ask for Jim. I personally know this guy and he is good. The best part you can actually bring your bike there and see them face to face instead of mailing stuff.

BTW, for 145 lbs guy, stock suspension is a little bit too stiff

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Where in NJ are you? I've heard about fbi suspension on this forum and everyone seems to be happy with their work.
If you want to have local guy working on your suspension, I know top one notch shop right here in NJ, they are also Ohlins authorized shop. http://www.propilotracing.com/ Give them a call and ask for Jim. I personally know this guy and he is good. The best part you can actually bring your bike there and see them face to face instead of mailing stuff.

BTW, for 145 lbs guy, stock suspension is a little bit too stiff
I actually live in Rockland County NY, about 2hrs north of that shop. I do work in Tenafly NJ though. I've also heard that GMD Computrack, in CT is pretty good, but I'm most likely just gonna use FBI. I might give them a call though.

Where in NJ are you located?

I know you've said that the stock springs are for 170-180lbs, but I've also heard that it was good for 140ish.

Oh, and I just weighed myself with all my gear(minus backpack, which I don't always wear anyway), and I come in at 156lbs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
yeah they're kinda jokes, that guy shouldnt have his feet down, takes off atleast 25 pounds.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts