SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first supermoto bike the other day and i want one. A honda 450 would be my choice but i need some input by someone who know what they are doing. I live in wisconsin and ive never seen one on the streets. This sport looks sick and i want in. Tips, ideas, and your input on getting started would be much appreciated thanks!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a cr 125 now that i am trying to get rid of to get a supermoto. i was also looking at the husaber, aprilia, and husqvarna, but those are getting up there in price. What do you mean by high maintenace?

·
Registered
728 Posts
if you do some searching you will see that the motocross bikes are just very high maintenance. they will require a rebuild quite often, valve adjustments quite often and oil changes VERY often. they will also run very hot and most likely overheat at stop lights or in traffic.

if you buy a bike meant for the road you will have a lot less problems. i'd look into the drz400, wr250x, the husky 510, or 610, or any of the ktm lc4's. something meant for the street will be better on the street.

·
Registered
728 Posts
so your saying steer away from moto x bikes that where converted.
they will be fun as hell on the street, but will have a very strict maintenance schedule. also motocross bikes are meant to be rode on a motocross track where the rpm's will be constantly changing. on the street the rpm's will be kept a lot more steady which is not good for them. a bike made for the street will just be more reliable and won't require as much work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Can I say something.

From What i can Guess Right now, I wouldn't suggest the WR250X Because considering that looks seem more important maybe you shouldn't just buy one cause you'll look "fly" as hell. My point. Consider what you want one for.

In my case I need to go get one because I love bikes and Incars I can freaking breathe, To DAMN STALE!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes looks are very important...if im gonna spend my money on a bike yes i want to to look the way i want it to....but it also has to perform....

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are riding on the street primarily, then go a:
KTM LC4 or DRZ400.. I've had both and they are both great bikes..

If you'll be doing track I'd go with:
Husaberg (heaps of them here in Austraila.. they're the hottest SM's IMO). If I wasn't doing heaps of street mileage I'd have one right now.
Husqvarna
KTM
Yamaha WR's
Honda CRF's
Suzi RMZ
(or if you've got a lot of coin and enjoy doing engine rebuilds/swaps) an Aprilia SXV

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would love a street legal honda 450, but for my first bike idk im not gonna be extreemly picky. i just want something to do some wheelies and have some fun on the street. and all my friends have sport bikes and i want something different.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would go with a factory SM rather than a converted Moto X bike. This will be a better setup for you in the long run. First of all the suspension for Moto X and Supermoto is much different, the factory SM bikes are setup better for this. If you want a bike you wont have to wrench on all the time the DRZ is probably the best bet for you. I have a Husky 510 and i love it but i bought it knowing that i would be doing 500 mile oil changes and 1000 mile valve adjustments. Most of the track type bikes are going to be a bit more work to keep running, the DRZ is much more streetable and the motors are bulletproof from what i hear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks aren't definite, you can always change them man. Thats my appeal to SuMo's When I crash, it won't cost me $400 of money I DON't Have. to Fix it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would probly be more of a weekend riding, as much as possible. I have no clue how many miles i would do, id saaay 800? 1000 TOPS ishh? I just want something to ride, have fun, and be different.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts