SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took her out for a 60 miler today, the longest single ride I've done so far. I hate to say it, but I'm about ready to give up on the autotune. At around 6k rpm the bike feels great, but below that I could tell something funky was going on. When I got home I hooked her up to the laptop and looked at what the autotune was trying to do. At higher rpms things looked fine. Add a little fuel here, take a little away there. Down lower it was still doing weird stuff. At the 15% throttle range there was one spot where it was trying to add 14% in one cell and take away 17% in the rpm cell below it! A few minus 10's and then some plus 8's. I zeroed the block of cells from about 3500rpm 10% to 5000rpm 60% throttle then accepted the rest of the changes. I was told the autotune was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread but now I'm having my doubts. It may be time to suck it up and take it to EDR in portland and have a custom map made.

Any of you guys with the autotune have a similar experience? If so, how are you deciding what trims to accept after a ride?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't have one, but have considered it forever, and have read at least 10,000 posts regarding it. I've seen numerous times, that their customer service is first rate. I'd give them a call....

Off topic question for you, since your unbiased at this point. In the higher RPMs where you say it runs right, is it a lot stronger? I could care less about smooth or clean. If I shell out $500, I want big power.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A power commander will not net you "big power". It will only make the bike run the way its supposed to, smoother with better throttle response. If you've modded your exhaust or any other engine mods its really the best way to properly tune a bike with EFI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
dont think it works well in my bike 08smr single can with db killer fitted
here my map after a few trims,{ started with 00map} all over the place at 3000revs range
bike ran fine with 00 map

think it would work better if i had twin freeflowing cans
[/IMG]

·
Registered
849 Posts
Tee Dub, have you got rid of the stock cans or at least all the junk inside them?

I gutted mine, got a K&N filter and after much deliberation and research, went the PCV only option with a custom map. All I can say is I'm happy I did. There are no flat spots. She pullls like a train and best of all (in the real world here) I can pootle along behind a car and she just phut phut phuts like a well oiled clock.

IMO here, if you've got a decent dyno shop locally and you don't ride any big elevation changes, the custom map as a stand alone is fine :thumbup:

...and just reading your original post re home from ride, faffing about with the laptop, I really don't have the time or the inclination to be doing that - fair play to all that do though. For me a custom map with maybe a tweak or two here and there is a one off job done thing. Set and forget.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike has FMF ti single (chopped off duals and retro-fitted single). No db killer, holes drilled in side panel for airbox.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, your map looks like shit! One tip, put the entire 2% and 5% columns to zero on the autotune target af setting, it can't adjust very well down there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bike has FMF ti single (chopped off duals and retro-fitted single). No db killer, holes drilled in side panel for airbox.
So she's free flowing and I guess set as you're going to leave her? If so then a custom map will do you fine. If you're planning on mountain tours or pipe changes etc then maybe not.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I was having trouble with my autotune as well. I just sent dynojet an email. They sent me an AFR table, and it's been a gravy train with bisquit wheels ever since

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dave, your map looks like shit! One tip, put the entire 2% and 5% columns to zero on the autotune target af setting, it can't adjust very well down there.
i usuall adjust them manually back towards 00 ,just left the autotune work to see what kind of a map i would get , dont think it works well with the single can and db killer
anyone got a picture of a map for a 08 510[ power up kit, k&n filter db killer]

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think your exhaust is the problem. I think the Autotune has a hard time with the exhaust pulses of a large bore single at low rpm. I would seriously turn off the autotune feature at 2% & 5% though, if I were you. I did on mine and it alleviated some of the problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think your exhaust is the problem. I think the Autotune has a hard time with the exhaust pulses of a large bore single at low rpm. I would seriously turn off the autotune feature at 2% & 5% though, if I were you. I did on mine and it alleviated some of the problems.
there is some odd numbers at 10-15% aswell
was thinking the exhaust pulses are worse with the db killer installed
i think the only way to prove how well the autotune works is to dyno tune the bike after the autotune stops making trims to the base maps[not sure how long that takes ]

even with the above map my bike still runs reasonably well.

·
Registered
849 Posts
there is some odd numbers at 10-15% aswell
was thinking the exhaust pulses are worse with the db killer installed
i think the only way to prove how well the autotune works is to dyno tune the bike after the autotune stops making trims to the base maps[not sure how long that takes ]

even with the above map my bike still runs reasonably well.
Think this is why a lot of guys are saying go for the dyno and PCV option only. If you're going to get a dyno custom map and leaving the set up as is at the time of the dyno run, then the PCV as a stand alone is perfect. You can always drop by the dyno shop - assuming you have one nearish - and get the set up tweaked.

I found the bottom end off throttle was lacking and no probs, back to the dyno shop, no extra charge, and a tweak. In fact they were so cool they said we'll tweak the fuelling until you're 100% happy. Works for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issues here

I have a 2 week old 630 full V.H 2into1. added power commander and auto tune. Runs aweful due to me not knowing what the hell im doing. I think im going to take the auto tune off and sell it. take it to EDR and have them put it on the dyno. I hate messing with that stuff. anyone have a VH 2into1 PC map? :hmmm:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is a "full VH"?

I'm not saying mine runs awful, it just keeps trying to lean out certain areas and I can feel it while riding. Hard on the gas and it rips, higher rpms and it runs smooth.

Are you in the Portland/Vancouver area? I could offer some tips/help if you want to try and make yours at least run decent. If the bike is new this is part of your problem too. Mine only has about 260 miles on it, but definitely runs better than it did at say 50 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry man VH = Leo Vince I had Vance Hines stuck in my head. Thanks for the offer. I think Ill just take it to EDR and have them put it on the Dyno. I've always done the with my sport bikes and it's really the way to go in my oppinion. Power commander site doesnt have any maps for the 630 and are soliciting people to use thier 610 for research. If a guy wanted to take his bike to vegas they will give you a free PCV and map it for you if they accept your application. Anyway heres my new girl.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. I'd like to know what Eric charges you. Its been almost 3 years since I had him do a map for me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would take my bike to anyone BUT EDR. RPM (Ron's Performance Motorcycles) for the win. Especially now that it's "race season."

Rev, talk to Eric (our Eric). He's got maps for you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was reading over on cafehusky and it was stated that the bikes ECU dumps fuel into the system when the coolant temps are below 80 deg C or 176 deg F. I wonder if my bike is running too cool since the temps here have been in the 50's and 60's and the power commander is fighting the bike's ecu trying to add fuel so the PCV/Autotune keeps trying to lean it out......hmmmmmm.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts