SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im gonna spend 3000 on a bike and then do 1000 dollars worth of add ons to it such as graphics handlebars stunt pegs stuff like that just for looks mainly (want it to be a beast and run good already)
my primary uses will be some highway but not a ton but dont want a strictly city bike either because my college is up 1604 about 20 miles and i would like to ride up there every once in awhile but (mostly stunting/hooligan and some riding with my brother and his 07 cbr1000 on some twisty backroads) also keep in mind i just came off a 05 gsxr1000 stretched
i love to wheelie and am a pretty decent motocross rider but want a real reliable bike that i can have for a long ass time and not have to worry about it not being ready to go and i want it to be able to go everywhere I WANT A BADASS SUPERMOTO THAT I CAN RIDE EVERYDAY NON STOP HAHAHA YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYING

so...

option are

04 ktm 525sx supermoto street legal
link to ad
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3581590765.html

or 05 wr450f thats almost street legal
link to ad
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3564672027.html

or i had the opportunity to buy a 07 drz400sm that had super low miles and was awesome but he sold it but i could wait for another one to come around or maybe a wr250x but idk seems kinda pussy to me but heard there good for stunts and look badass

also there is a 08 husky 450 but almost outa my price range
link to ad
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3558974201.html

another one is the 05 crf450x but he's asking way to much and its not fully street
link to add
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3504365633.html

so i have a few options but i know tax time is coming up and a ton of bikes are going to go up for sale
so is there any bikes i definitely shouldn't consider or a clear winner out of these or should i wait for a drz or whats up lemme know any info would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Drz and wr250 are the reliable ones. The ktm is a 4speed rfs motor. Not what I would call low maint. Next on your list is the wr450. Probably the best in your list in terms or price. Power. Reliability. So which is more important to you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yah i just realized that the ktm is a 4spd, but yah i like power i just came off a gsxr1000 but i like to go fast in turns and stuff so its like a different type of fast. i like to wheelie out of corners and i love riding wheelies. parking lot stunts trail riding street/some highway riding, and i want to somewhat be able to keep up with my brothers cbr1000 in the twisties and back roads

thanks for the responce

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
oh yah i just realized that the ktm is a 4spd, but yah i like power i just came off a gsxr1000 but i like to go fast in turns and stuff so its like a different type of fast. i like to wheelie out of corners and i love riding wheelies. parking lot stunts trail riding street/some highway riding, and i want to somewhat be able to keep up with my brothers cbr1000 in the twisties and back roads

thanks for the responce
You can't have it all. Highway is going to suck. Straights you will get left behind but you will be able to carry more corner speed and turn much faster on an sm. Is go for the wr450. It will be the lowest maint. Of the true 450. You could get a drz but you will need to spend about 1500 to 2000 to get the power of an unformed wr450.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't have it all. Highway is going to suck. Straights you will get left behind but you will be able to carry more corner speed and turn much faster on an sm. Is go for the wr450. It will be the lowest maint. Of the true 450. You could get a drz but you will need to spend about 1500 to 2000 to get the power of an unformed wr450.
right on yah the wr450f has -10 sprocket to for more high speed is that cool? and how do you know how many hours the wr has since it doesnt have a odometer?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
You can gear the WR to 14/40 and it'll cruise the highway with no problems at all. Don't worry, it'll still power the front wheel up on the highway with no problem.

I think that the '06 was the first year with the oem speedometer assembly. You can find one on ebay and it'll fit that bike. However that doesn't help you now. I'd check the engine case wear, the chain and sprockets, and the frame wear. Those engines are very durable so as long as there aren't any obvious signs of neglect I would buy with confidence. The WR basically has the same maintenance requirements of the DRZ, but has much better performance.

The guy that bought my '06 came off a KTM 525. He said that the WR pulled just as hard. Just saying that the 450 is not lacking in the power dept.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can gear the WR to 14/40 and it'll cruise the highway with no problems at all. Don't worry, it'll still power the front wheel up on the highway with no problem.

I think that the '06 was the first year with the oem speedometer assembly. You can find one on ebay and it'll fit that bike. However that doesn't help you now. I'd check the engine case wear, the chain and sprockets, and the frame wear. Those engines are very durable so as long as there aren't any obvious signs of neglect I would buy with confidence. The WR basically has the same maintenance requirements of the DRZ, but has much better performance.

The guy that bought my '06 came off a KTM 525. He said that the WR pulled just as hard. Just saying that the 450 is not lacking in the power dept.

thats whats up hell yah man so did you check out the ad? click the link to the wr and look at the pics and stuff, frame and stuff looks clean and bike looks really good, looks sikk to me and has abunch of badass street stuff but it has no turn sigs which in texas you dont need, its got no horn but i can use a bike horn, its got a break light, (anything else im gonna need to make it legal?) iv looked at a ton of stuff about the laws in texas and im pretty sure ill just need a horn and ill use my gps mount on the handlebars for a speedo and stuff but yah it said ill just have to get it inspected and stuff and get the title transferd to a non offroad only title (im thinkin thats the bike i want but i gotta drive 4 and half hours one way to go get it so i wanna make sure and i think 3000 is a steal)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
if the wr was setup for the street it probably has some sort of odo/speedo on it. as far as how many hours are on the motor, unless the owner knows its a guess. You won't know for sure until you take the motor apart.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
In texas you need hi/lo beam, a brake light and a horn basically. Like you said, use a bike horn for the inspection then take it off. I don't think a speedometer is required. My 426 never had one.
speedo/tach isnt required in VA technically but most people who add a dual sport kit 'usually' add a speedo from what ive seen.

·
Registered
724 Posts
that husky you posted wouldn't need the $1000 of extra stuff you want to be a kick arse bike. just saying. its also fuel injected compared to all the other carb'ed bikes your posting. don't know if that makes a difference, but it would be a small maintenance thing.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
that husky you posted wouldn't need the $1000 of extra stuff you want to be a kick arse bike. just saying. its also fuel injected compared to all the other carb'ed bikes your posting. don't know if that makes a difference, but it would be a small maintenance thing.
$1,000 for what? That WR is damn near ready to go.

·
Registered
724 Posts
$1,000 for what? That WR is damn near ready to go.
your right.

He had just said in his OP that "So im gonna spend 3000 on a bike and then do 1000 dollars worth of add ons to it such as...."

That WR would be the way to go though. a grand cheaper than the SMR and the only thing you are losing is fuel injection. thats not worth a grand to me.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
your right.

He had just said in his OP that "So im gonna spend 3000 on a bike and then do 1000 dollars worth of add ons to it such as...."

That WR would be the way to go though. a grand cheaper than the SMR and the only thing you are losing is fuel injection. thats not worth a grand to me.
You can get the FCR to where is feels fuel injected. Just takes blood, sweat, and some foul language lol.

$1,000 worth of add-ons would be epic though lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts