SuperMoto Junkie banner

1661 - 1680 of 1700 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, this may be a stupid question. but do you need to do anything with the original pinkslip prior to mailing it over to SD? Or do u send it as is?
I mailed the pink and all the forms needed. A couple posts up said you no longer need the affidavit with a notary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I called them yesterday and the lady said yes to notarized papers. She also said to submit my SS card as well. Since SD required two forms of official government issued docs and second one could be a w2 or ss card. Just sent in yesterday I’ll let you know when I hear back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm about to turn 13 and am getting a dirt bike so I can ride on and off-road but I don't know how if I can make it street legal and if I do if I'm able to ride it on street? Can you help me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm about to turn 13 and am getting a dirt bike so I can ride on and off-road but I don't know how if I can make it street legal and if I do if I'm able to ride it on street? Can you help me?
You're too young. Gotta have a drivers liscense and motorcycle endorsement, earliest age will be around 17 or 18. Go enjoy the trails and stay safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone by any chance done this in Oregon recently? I have an unregistered 2005 450 EXC that I have been debating getting titled and trying to plate. I have the MCO from KTM but no longer have the sales paperwork from the dealer. From what I have heard is that it is next to impossible to register and plate one of this vintage any more in Oregon.
Hey, any update on this? I'm going to attempt this soon on a XCF 450 and I was curious if you were successful?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any chance you're in Oregon specifically? Not sure about other states, but if it helps, Oregon is supposedly worse than California.

Oregon uses the VIN to determine if the the bike is "off road use only" or "motorcycle". If if doesn't come from the factory street legal, then apparently they won't title it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Should be, I just did a rm250 and got a plate. If a 250 2 stroke was successful, I dont see why a 4 stroke wont be.
Any chance you're in Oregon specifically? Not sure about other states, but if it helps, Oregon is supposedly worse than California.

Oregon uses the VIN to determine if the the bike is "off road use only" or "motorcycle". If if doesn't come from the factory street legal, then apparently they won't title it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Maryland they wont register bikes with off road title, so I'm just gonna renew my sd registration every year. I think ktms vin numbers dont specially come up as off road, so you might be lucky and get a mc or mot title back from south Dakota. Could be wrong but good luck.
If you're also wondering about insurance Geico will insure the bike even if the title says off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Maryland they wont register bikes with off road title, so I'm just gonna renew my sd registration every year. I think ktms vin numbers dont specially come up as off road, so you might be lucky and get a mc or mot title back from south Dakota. Could be wrong but good luck.
If you're also wondering about insurance Geico will insure the bike even if the title says off.
Hell yeah. Thanks for the info. Waiting on a title transfer right now and I'll let everyone know how it goes for me in Oregon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined to say thanks to this thread my SD plate is on its way. 2003 ktm 450 sx-f No title, no certificate of origin. This is what I sent.
1. Notarized BOS
2. Title Reg application
3. Atv affidavit
4. Affidavit stating that NJ does not title off road vehicles.

About 2 weeks after mailing they called me, charged my cc $63 and said I will have the plate by the end of this week and title about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar to @Bfredk , I just joined to say thank you to the forum for figuring out this process and to provide my specifics. I have an '06 250 with title from the state I lived in prior to my current one.

I called a couple of times to speak with folks on the phone. The first time, the lady was rather gruff and just directed me to the state website. On the state website, I found three forms, none of which require notarization:
  • 1001 Motor Vehicle/Boat Title & Registration Application
  • 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit
  • 1015 Low Speed & Off-Road Vehicle Affidavit
After having filled out the forms, I called back to verify which forms were required and spoke with a very friendly and helpful lady. She verified that the following forms and information were required:
  • Original Vehicle Title
  • Copy of Drivers License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
I also included a cover letter with a short paragraph stating I was looking to register and title my bike in SD and asking that they contact me via email upon receipt, so that I could call them to make payment.

From mailing of the forms to receipt of the confirmation email was less than 10 working days. I paid $61.50 or thereabouts in fees, and should have my plate and registration in 2 weeks. As above, they said the title will take a bit longer, in the 4-6 week range.

Thanks again to the forum and to the State of South Dakota.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received my SD plate last week and was wandering if anyone has tried to transfer it back to California to get a California plate if it was previously a red sticker bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar to @Bfredk , I just joined to say thank you to the forum for figuring out this process and to provide my specifics. I have an '06 250 with title from the state I lived in prior to my current one.

I called a couple of times to speak with folks on the phone. The first time, the lady was rather gruff and just directed me to the state website. On the state website, I found three forms, none of which require notarization:
After having filled out the forms, I called back to verify which forms were required and spoke with a very friendly and helpful lady. She verified that the following forms and information were required:
  • Original Vehicle Title
I also included a cover letter with a short paragraph stating I was looking to register and title my bike in SD and asking that they contact me via email upon receipt, so that I could call them to make payment.

From mailing of the forms to receipt of the confirmation email was less than 10 working days. I paid $61.50 or thereabouts in fees, and should have my plate and registration in 2 weeks. As above, they said the title will take a bit longer, in the 4-6 week range.

Thanks again to the forum and to the State of South

• Original Vehicle Title

Thanks again to the forum and to the State of South Dakota.
Did you have to sign the "release of interest" section on your pink slip?. Thx.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was unable to get a plate because the person I bought the bike from was not on the MCO and SD wanted a chain of ownership with bill of sales going all the way back to original owner, who i can not locate

1661 - 1680 of 1700 Posts