SuperMoto Junkie banner

1641 - 1653 of 1653 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
just sent off for a plate on my ktm 300xcw. i didnt send priority so hopefully theres no issues making it there. that would have been smart. got it notarized at the bank.

did anyone else send in sales tax payment? i sent that form in as well just in case as well as the DL/SS, two forms, and MSO.
i had to fill out two more documents in order to finish this. got a phone call today about it already being processed and plate shipping tomorrow. hope this helps anyone else. paid $82

out-of-state dealer tax assessment
https://dorresources.sd.gov/f/1004

and a bill of sale
https://dorresources.sd.gov/f/1025

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I successfully got my SD Plates, (I live in California).
Now I want to get Claifornia plates, to accomplish this do I have to bring the bike in for an inspection? The bike is currently not running

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I successfully got my SD Plates, (I live in California).
Now I want to get Claifornia plates, to accomplish this do I have to bring the bike in for an inspection? The bike is currently not running
Yes, you must bring the bike to the DMV for a DMV employee to inspect the bike and check the VIN. You can bring the bike on a trailer or in a truck, but they may ask you to unload it when you get there.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I took mine to a private VIN verification place. Rode it there. No problems with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took mine to a private VIN verification place. Rode it there. No problems with it.
I did not realize private vin verification was an actually service but i just looked up and found some places locally that would do it that would make the DMV process a lot easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did not realize private vin verification was an actually service but i just looked up and found some places locally that would do it that would make the DMV process a lot easier.

Thanks!
Thats what I did with mine. Have had it registered in California for two renewals. I wouldnt take it to DMV they are more strict and will give you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Thanks!
if you're near SF I can PM you with the guy I used here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats what I did with mine. Have had it registered in California for two renewals. I wouldnt take it to DMV they are more strict and will give you a hard time.
So when they come and inspect it/ fill out the Reg 31 Verification of Vehicle form. Does it need to have all the street legal compenents install? Lights, horn etc. currently they are all off.
Also on my SD Title the odometer reading is blank, and on the Reg31 form it asks for the opometer reading. I believe any vehicle transfered to california needs over 7500 miles right?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No, it's a location in SF. Charged me $75, checked all the right boxes.

The bike had lighting installed, although turn signals weren't very visible (LED strips on handguards, rear turn signals tucked into the tail pretty well). Don't think I had a horn. Had the SD plate installed.

And yes, it needs to have at least 7500mi on it to register. If you have a Trailtech Vapor you can set the mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So when they come and inspect it/ fill out the Reg 31 Verification of Vehicle form. Does it need to have all the street legal compenents install? Lights, horn etc. currently they are all off.
Also on my SD Title the odometer reading is blank, and on the Reg31 form it asks for the opometer reading. I believe any vehicle transfered to california needs over 7500 miles right?
They are not concerned with anything on the bike other than the sections outlined in the Reg 31 form.

As for the odometer, according to the DMV, "California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition."

·
Registered
154 Posts

Thanks!
Private VIN verification can do all except engine swap in CA, that must be done by CHP or DMV. They are all over and mobile also, just type it in google for your area and bam.

1641 - 1653 of 1653 Posts