SuperMoto Junkie banner

1641 - 1660 of 1684 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
just sent off for a plate on my ktm 300xcw. i didnt send priority so hopefully theres no issues making it there. that would have been smart. got it notarized at the bank.

did anyone else send in sales tax payment? i sent that form in as well just in case as well as the DL/SS, two forms, and MSO.
i had to fill out two more documents in order to finish this. got a phone call today about it already being processed and plate shipping tomorrow. hope this helps anyone else. paid $82

out-of-state dealer tax assessment
https://dorresources.sd.gov/f/1004

and a bill of sale
https://dorresources.sd.gov/f/1025

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I successfully got my SD Plates, (I live in California).
Now I want to get Claifornia plates, to accomplish this do I have to bring the bike in for an inspection? The bike is currently not running

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I successfully got my SD Plates, (I live in California).
Now I want to get Claifornia plates, to accomplish this do I have to bring the bike in for an inspection? The bike is currently not running
Yes, you must bring the bike to the DMV for a DMV employee to inspect the bike and check the VIN. You can bring the bike on a trailer or in a truck, but they may ask you to unload it when you get there.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I took mine to a private VIN verification place. Rode it there. No problems with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took mine to a private VIN verification place. Rode it there. No problems with it.
I did not realize private vin verification was an actually service but i just looked up and found some places locally that would do it that would make the DMV process a lot easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did not realize private vin verification was an actually service but i just looked up and found some places locally that would do it that would make the DMV process a lot easier.

Thanks!
Thats what I did with mine. Have had it registered in California for two renewals. I wouldnt take it to DMV they are more strict and will give you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

Thanks!
if you're near SF I can PM you with the guy I used here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats what I did with mine. Have had it registered in California for two renewals. I wouldnt take it to DMV they are more strict and will give you a hard time.
So when they come and inspect it/ fill out the Reg 31 Verification of Vehicle form. Does it need to have all the street legal compenents install? Lights, horn etc. currently they are all off.
Also on my SD Title the odometer reading is blank, and on the Reg31 form it asks for the opometer reading. I believe any vehicle transfered to california needs over 7500 miles right?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
No, it's a location in SF. Charged me $75, checked all the right boxes.

The bike had lighting installed, although turn signals weren't very visible (LED strips on handguards, rear turn signals tucked into the tail pretty well). Don't think I had a horn. Had the SD plate installed.

And yes, it needs to have at least 7500mi on it to register. If you have a Trailtech Vapor you can set the mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So when they come and inspect it/ fill out the Reg 31 Verification of Vehicle form. Does it need to have all the street legal compenents install? Lights, horn etc. currently they are all off.
Also on my SD Title the odometer reading is blank, and on the Reg31 form it asks for the opometer reading. I believe any vehicle transfered to california needs over 7500 miles right?
They are not concerned with anything on the bike other than the sections outlined in the Reg 31 form.

As for the odometer, according to the DMV, "California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition."

·
Registered
154 Posts

Thanks!
Private VIN verification can do all except engine swap in CA, that must be done by CHP or DMV. They are all over and mobile also, just type it in google for your area and bam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you can still do the steps outlined on the first page and receive a SD tag and title?
I have an 06 400exc that I would love to plate.
I don't have a title, Certificate of origin. I do have a notarized Bill of sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You no longer need to get a notarized affidavit. Just learned this the hard way: I forgot to put my address next to my name on the PERSON WHO INSTALLED THE STREET LEGAL PARTS section, so the guy at the office emailed me and linked me to the new Off-Road Affidavit. [super moto junkie wont let me post a link in my first post so I'll try to post it in the next post.]
I confirmed with him that it does not need to be notarized.

Hope this helps everyone going forward save a few bucks! Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone by any chance done this in Oregon recently? I have an unregistered 2005 450 EXC that I have been debating getting titled and trying to plate. I have the MCO from KTM but no longer have the sales paperwork from the dealer. From what I have heard is that it is next to impossible to register and plate one of this vintage any more in Oregon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0864V18-SDApplicationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. 👍
Hello, this may be a stupid question. but do you need to do anything with the original pinkslip prior to mailing it over to SD? Or do u send it as is?

1641 - 1660 of 1684 Posts