·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

Do any of you Have or Have Used --
Geico Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury insurance--

Living here in Austin TX about 1/3rd of cars dont have Any insurance -
So I was thinking about getting this coverage from Geico to cover medical expenses --

I am also wondering it it will cover my medical if I just Wipe Out on my
own without any cars involved ???

This is the Definition of coverage Geico sent me in a email-
The lady I spoke with said coverage changes state to state--
Cost $180 for 1 year coverage --$10,000 limit --
Thanks for your help--Jay--

DEFINITIONS:
Medical Payments
Under Medical Payments, we will pay all reasonable expenses actually incurred by an insured within one year from the date of the accident for necessary medical, surgical, dental services, prosthetic devices, ambulance, hospital, professional nursing and funeral services.
This coverage applies to you and each relative who sustains bodily injury caused by an accident:
while occupying the insured vehicle; or
while occupying a non-owned vehicle if you or your relative reasonably believe you have the owner's permission to use the vehicle and the use is within the scope of that permission; or
when struck as a pedestrian by an vehicle or trailer.
This coverage also applies to any other person who sustains bodily injury caused by accident while occupying or as a passenger on the owned vehicle while being operated by you, a resident of your household, or other persons within the scope of your permission.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Under Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury, we pay damages that you, household relatives and passengers in the insured vehicle are legally entitled to recover because of bodily injury or death caused by uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run vehicles. Two limits of coverage are provided. The first is the maximum amount we will pay for injury or death to any one person. The second figure is the maximum we will pay (regardless of the number of people involved) for injury or death stemming from a single occurrence.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Be sure to read the super fine print! I have yet to find a policy that will cover medical if you are on/in a vehicle with less than 3 wheels. I know for a fact that Liberty Mutual does not cover medical if I crash the bike. Been there done that and got told no :headshake

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Fuzzy--

Yep -
-- Fine Print --that why I want to see what experience others have had with this
type of insurance --insurance co, can be Real Scamers -

I had a friend who had extra coverage for uninsured motorist and had
someone hit and run on him and the insurance would not pay because
he could not Prove the other driver did not have insurance --

Any one used Geico Bodily Injury insurance ???

·
Registered
976 Posts
I dont use it, but if what you posted is all correct, then they will pay if you crash on your own. That said, I live in NJ, which has the highest insurance rates in the US, and I have UUM insurance on my bike, along with my other coverages, and my UUM limits are 100,000/300,000 and I pay 300 for my total policy, with theft, collision, etc. $180 for 10,000 sounds SUPER steep to me.
I could have gotten the minimum ( I believe 15,000/50,000) with Liability only insurance for under $100 a year (I think it was more like $75)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Progressive

My kid also has it and lowsided under a car, covered his emergency room and the car damage. Liability only with medical payments!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have geico and live in Tn they told me that they don't offer coverage that would cover any medical

·
Registered
61 Posts
i got geico and canceled my uninsured motorist...its way cheaper without it..from $74 a month to $25

·
Registered
19 Posts
Get UUM ins! if sombody hits you with no coverage or min coverage and your crippled guess what,, you get nothing,, or almost nothing.. I was in a bad wreck in my jeep and the old lady who hit me head on(she had a heart attack while driving) had st min ins.. I got $9K for a broken neck and a life of pain.. had to sue my own ins for the UUM to get anything.. I had the minimum but several vehicles and it was stackable.. I've upped it to 300K on each vehicle(have 2 bikes 2 jeeps) and it raised my yearly expense on all 4 combined about $180.. My bikes went from $72 to $92.. I have St Farm,, better than geico.. They wont ins. my jeep jk since I've modified it.. and they have too many odd stipulations.. I hate my agent but the company is good..
Oh,, and I have theft on the bikes,, just in case.. no keys,, its too easy....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased Geico as I have had my car with them for 7 years. I purchased the Uninsured Motorist with a limit of 25/50k. My premium went from 140.00 to 240.00 per year. The Geico Rep said there's a reason that the premium is just about as much as the insurance itself and alot of people must use it in your area or need it. 100.00 over the course of the year I said why not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts