SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I found the stock to be a little lacking, so I stepped up to a 16T in the front and it helped a lot. RPM's dropped to a more comfortable level when cruising at 50-55. First gear is a little on the tall side now and would probably be a pain if I were doing any trail riding, but it is very manageable on the street.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
stock is fine on mine. 14/42

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
My 510 was 14/42 stock and now I'm running 15/40 for the street and it is much better. I was afraid it would turn in to a sloth, but it's just a quick, all with an overdrive/cruise gear now for when the road gets straight. It will cruise at 80mph now as easily as it did before going 60mph. I also have 13/14 front and a 42 rear if need be to gear it back down some. All these sprocket combos work with the OEM length 106 link chain too.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My 510 was 14/42 stock and now I'm running 15/40 for the street and it is much better. I was afraid it would turn in to a sloth, but it's just a quick, all with an overdrive/cruise gear now for when the road gets straight. It will cruise at 80mph now as easily as it did before going 60mph. I also have 13/14 front and a 42 rear if need be to gear it back down some. All these sprocket combos work with the OEM length 106 link chain too.
I have a 13 and 15 tooth CS sprocket too. the 13/42 made 1st and 2nd gear useless on the street and 1st gear was useless for the track. I have to try the 15 tooth for the street.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I have a 13 and 15 tooth CS sprocket too. the 13/42 made 1st and 2nd gear useless on the street and 1st gear was useless for the track. I have to try the 15 tooth for the street.
Yes, 13/42 is offroad or cart track gearing. 14/42 was a decent compromise for all occasions. 15/40 is perfect road gearing, I have even done some light offroad with it. Anything below 10mph requires a bit of clutch work to keep momentum and avoid stalling. It will take off from a dead stop just fine though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I found the stock to be a little lacking, so I stepped up to a 16T in the front and it helped a lot. RPM's dropped to a more comfortable level when cruising at 50-55. First gear is a little on the tall side now and would probably be a pain if I were doing any trail riding, but it is very manageable on the street.

A 16t fit the front of a 450? chain didn't rub on the slave cylinder guard? my 09 doesn't look like it'll fit

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm... I'm thinking 15/45 or 14/42 for next season. I try to avoid straight highspeed roads as good as i can.

I have to buy new chain anyway, somehow 30% of my o-rings from stock chain have disappeared. No idea why....

·
Registered
330 Posts
depends on how big your streets are and how fast you intend on riding on them !!!

usually dropping one tooth on the front livens things up a bit if thats what you wanted to do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts