SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of going up to a 43 or 45 tooth in the back on my DRZ, and I'm hoping that some of you who have done this can give me some opinions.

My main power mods:

MRD/SSW

FCR39(on the way)

Cams(on the way)

Is the boost worth the loss of top end, and higher cruising revs on the highway? I probably won't go above 80ish for long, and I'll keep it to around 65ish when there aren't any cars to pass. Will I even WANT to re-gear after I install the FCR and cams?

Any help is appreciated!:thumbup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I went DOWN a tooth in the front.
I have an FCR and a Big Gun pipe.
I don't do a lot of highway type riding, so it is ok for me. It gave it a little more snap, but it took away from the top speed like you were saying. My guess is that it'll top out around 90. I regularly hit 75-80 on the 4-lane near my house, it revs a little high, but I don't think its anything concerning. If it ever stops raining, I'll do a speed run for you and see exactly how it goes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
if you like hooliganing around, it is definately worth it. if you ride highway and just put it around- probably not

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i would. youd be amazed. my buddy with a drz, and normal mods, 3x3, full yosh, ect, went -1, +4 and still runs like 85. theres no need to go faster than that on a drz. i went +3 on the rear of my x and still do about the same, 80 or so. speedo says 94 but i know its way off. wheelies are way better.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, thanks for the input guys, I think I might wait until I put my FCR and cams in first and see if I still want to re-gear it. Oh, and one down up front is the same as three up out back, right?

Woodk61000, I know what you mean about needing another gear. I used to feel like that too, but since I put the MRD/SSW on, my gears got a lot more useable. I can ride a gear lower, and run higher into the revs before it feels like I lose power. To test it out, I shifted into fifth going uphill at around 43-45mph the other day, and it didn't lug like it would before the pipe. It was a steep hill too.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of difference would the MRD SSW exhaust make on something like that? I thought it was supposed to be more free flowing than others? Wouldnt that decrease back pressure? Thus making it rev faster?
I don't care if it revs faster man, that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I can stay in a gear higher into the revs, because it pulls higher into the revs. Stock, and even re-jetted and gutted, would taper off with a long way to go before the limiter. There's still a ways to go before the limiter, but not quite as long as before.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, yeah with the stocker(I think it's mainly the headers fault), you have to short shift all the time if you wanna stay in the power. If you see a dyno chart of a stock DRZ compared to a modded one(usually you see it compared to a BB kit), it seems to stop making power just after half way through the revs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not to hijack, but since we're talking gears here...

If I went +2 on the rear do you think I could wheelie up in 5th? I can get it up in 4th with stock gears.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i could stand on the rear pegs in 5th on the WRX and pick it up and ride it at an "indicated" 73mph. thats with stock gearing. i went +3 in the back, and now its not even hard.

im sure if the 250 can do it, a drz455 with an FCR sould just shrug at it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You guys have convinced me to put on my 14t in the front and see how easy the front comes up. I've been debating it for a while but I don't do much freeway with it anyway. That is what I have the SV for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the input guys, I think I might wait until I put my FCR and cams in first and see if I still want to re-gear it. Oh, and one down up front is the same as three up out back, right?

Woodk61000, I know what you mean about needing another gear. I used to feel like that too, but since I put the MRD/SSW on, my gears got a lot more useable. I can ride a gear lower, and run higher into the revs before it feels like I lose power. To test it out, I shifted into fifth going uphill at around 43-45mph the other day, and it didn't lug like it would before the pipe. It was a steep hill too.
I've got a 14/44 on my DRZ with FCR39 and yosh rs-2 3x3 jetted power bowl etc and I like it allot. It's great for around town blasting and back roads but I think a 15/44 would be pretty sweet too as it'd defiantly calm it down some over like 70.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
the only reason i went 3 up out back instead of 1 down in the front is because the tighter bend around the front sprocket is harder on chains. but if i remember right, mine comes with a 13. so a 12 is getting pretty small.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts