SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone -

My name is Jon and I have been running my 1999 YZ400F out at IMI for a few months now on stock 21" / 19" wheels with sportsman tires. I just made the purchase of a 16.5" / 17" setup, but am now in need of a sprocket for the new setup.

With the stock 19" wheel, I am running 15/50 I believe, and was just getting into 5th on the back straight. What would you guys suggest as a setup with the new 17" rear wheel? For what it is worth, I'm going from a 100/90-19 Kenda K761 to a 160/60-17 Metzler Racetec K1. I know that I'm probably the only guy running a YZ400F (or any bike that old, for that matter) but any approximations would be a huge help to me. Love to hear your input!

Thanks all, and hope to see you out there soon.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can't help on exact gearing for that exact bike but I've had several different bikes and it seems like I'm always 2-3 teeth taller than stock but that's it. You want to gear to that you can use all of your gears on the straight. Right now, on my YZ250f, I'm geared 14-46. I think stock is 14-48, so that's just two teeth. I hit top speed on the straight just when it's time to shut off. That's how I try to gear for every track.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't help on exact gearing for that exact bike but I've had several different bikes and it seems like I'm always 2-3 teeth taller than stock but that's it. You want to gear to that you can use all of your gears on the straight. Right now, on my YZ250f, I'm geared 14-46. I think stock is 14-48, so that's just two teeth. I hit top speed on the straight just when it's time to shut off. That's how I try to gear for every track.

Hope that helps.
Archie is fast. Topping his bike out in the straight is beginning to explain it. Along with his crazy corner speed.

·
Registered
719 Posts
just to add some confusion. My DRZ is stock e model gearing built to climb trees and I just barely hit the rev limiter even at high plains and only when the wind was just right. The downside to the billy goat gearing is that it's really finicky in the starts. Taller gearing would be nice for mashing the gas when the flag flies, but when I hit it right boy does that gearing really kick ass. See the confusion? When I don't suck the aggressive gearing is awesome. When I suck it really sucks and I get to the first corner way behind where I should be. Bottom line is that I've stuck with stock gearing because the extra grunt is really nice most of the time and what I give up in the first 5 feet I make back up hitting second so much sooner and never dropping the RPMs...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys! Hope to have the bike running with the new setup this week. Hoping to get some practice in this weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts