SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the best protection I can get, but I would like the coolest (temperature) protection I can get as well. Here are some of the things I was thinking of, but I would love any and all input...

For the helmet I was thinking of this simpson gs3-mx but in probably matte black (because the black nose looks kinda funny with white)...

For the jacket, I have no idea whatsoever. I would like a white/black color scheme and would like leather, but I'm not sure if I need pads, which ones I need, if a hybrid (leather/textile) or perforated is better etc etc... but depending on the pads, I would probably be wearing the icon field vest or something similar...

For gloves, I would like to continue the white/black, or just solid black. Again, not sure if I need the full gauntlet or something like a 3/4 or extended wrist. Is the best protection carbon, or will any reinforcement or inserts work?

For the pants I was thinking of the shift havoc pants, but they are basically the 1st ones I saw...haha. Possibly some with more vents or white accents? Something more casual? Also, do I need knee protection, or do these (or other) pants have it built in? Over the boot is preferred.

The boots I was thinking of are either sidi (crossfire?), alpinestar tech (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,or 12334050998s), or oxtar sm, maybe gaerne or axo. Possibly a 50/50 boot?

And is this stuff ridiculous to walk around in? If so, got any recommendations for a comfortable streamline backpack to carry shoes, shorts, and some school books, and laptop in?

Thanks for any help in advance. Still looking for a bike and it will be my first bike on the street.

-Alex

p.s. if you scroll fast enough it almost looks like a real person...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are there any brands I should stay away from when looking for jackets and pant? Or any strongly recommended ones?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Cover all the important bits and your exposed tender precious joints.

Head, shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles, hips, etc.

For those days when you feel like riding squid style in jacket and jeans remember to use at least wear some $15 knee guards under your jeans. These puppies have saved my bacon, ligaments and cartilage a number of times. Best money ever spent.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I still wear Alpinestars, but, one of my leather coats and leather pants wore through so fast in a lowside. I slid across the road for maybe 20 feet and had holes in my hip and tore the sleeve out of my coat. I wasn't very impressed with it. I am however impressed with my Astar leather gloves and boots. USE LEATHER GLOVES! I'd be more concerned with the palms and sides of the gloves than the carbon inserts. After being down a few times on them, the inserts aren't scratched but the palms have really taken a hit and are still good.

I ride with my Six Six One shin/knee guards and love em. Very comfy and it takes the sting out of rocks and bugs hitting the knees too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In my experience/opinion I'd avoid ICON stuff, I"m not saying it's bad, but from anything of theirs I've seen/owned they put design before function, and with gear, thats never a good thing.

Alpinestars makes a Bionic jacket, it's a full jacket that would be nice and cool, looks better, and protects better than the Icon field armor vest thing. You can snag them for about $240.

Pants: Alright, I'm going to catch shit for this I know, but if you're just riding around town and not really doing any fast riding through the twisties then just buy some really heavy thick denim pants. I know, I know. If you're really that worried then buy a set of motorcycle denim pants, they usually have 'flexible' crotch areas, and extra material in the knees. I would not recommend wearing leather GP pants everywhere, that would get annoying as all hell.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ive had 2 diffrent pairs of Icon gloves, Hoolagan, $69.95, and Superduty, $59.95, have the stitching come undone around the fingers, not from crash dammage, but just from use, so im done with Icon stuff. Ive since switched to Alpinestar gear and havent had to crash test any of it yet, but at least its holding up to normal use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get a Troy Lee speed jacket, All leather and perf'd. Only about $215.00 and way more protection. You can wear it under a jersey or another coat as conditions change. I just ordered one. There was a post about them a couple weeks back. Thats what sold me. Some of the mx pressure suits are more $$ and offer less protection. The Thor supermoto pants are supposed to be good but I haven't found any to try on so I can't comment about fit or comfort . I have heard bad things about the Simpson bike helmets, but I know the make good helmets for car racing.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice.

I saw the bionic vest by astar and it looked like it had less protection and was made of mesh, which brings me to another point; I read that the tld speed jacket has mesh on the inside which can slide around not only hurting your skin, but allowing the protective pad to shift around and, well...not protect.

As far as pants, I sweat in EVERYTHING. By the time I make it to the mailbox and back in my boxers I'm already sweating, so the way I see it, if I'm gonna be wearing long pants in the summer, they might as well be leather:lol: (assuming you meant ridiculous about the heat/looks?)

The gloves will definitely be leather, and the boots mx style. I might just go with a street style helmet as well, even though I like the mx and hybrid styles better. Will also pick up a set of knee/shin guards, but it looks like they will interfere with the boots?

I guess I mainly need help with the torso area...haha

Thanks again,
-Alex

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still having trouble finding the right jacket etc...

The tld speed jacket looks like it will offer impact protection, but is there a jacket that will do the same thing as wearing a simple leather jacket (no pads, just leather for sliding) over the tld speed jacket?

The joe rocket supermoto jacket looks pretty heavy duty and solid, but will it offer enough protection?

I was thinking these are some options:
1) plain non-padded jacket over something like the tld speed jacket
2) padded jacket over something like the a-stars bionic vest
3) ridiculously padded and armored jacket alone (so far the joerocket supermoto jacket is the only one that looks like it works)

Also, are the gaerne supermoto boots any good? Because they are about half the price of the sidi crossfires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I get mine I'll let you know. I have a leather jacket with no padding at all, that I'm planing on wearing over it when the weather permits. I hadn't heard anything about it sliding around. It has sinch straps around the arms and waist, I thought that was to keep it from moving.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've heard good things about the Gaerne boots, but have also heard customer service can be a bitch if it's ever needed. Also check out the Oxstar supermoto boots.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wear Sidi Vertigo Corsas, Shift two piece leathers, and Shift full leather gloves on the street. I wear Thor Core supermoto leathers with Thor impact suit under the jacket, and dirt bike boots on the supermoto track. The impact suit has all the CE armor and a back and chest plate. I have to remove the CE armor out of the Thor jacket to have enough room for the impact suit. The Thor armor is very good in the jacket, but it dosn't have good back and chest protection.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S2P-I would really like to know how that goes as that seems like the best most protective way to ride. I can also ditch the outer jacket when riding dirt.

Grim Smoker-Kind find the oxtar anywhere. Heard great things about price for them, but that they lack protection? If I can't find oxtars for a decent price, I'm getting some axo rc6's, and if that falls through, I'll hit up the gaernes or some a-star techs.

xr650-how do you like the shift leather pants? I was thinking the shift havoc cause they are over the boot, but my friends said I would look ridiculous...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Check out the Knox vest: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1032

Looks like a higher quality alternative to the Icon vest for torso protection. All my jackets already have shoulder and arm armour, so this would cover the chest and back quite nicely. Throw in a nice thick pair of Carhart work pants with knee armour and boots, and you'd be all set for street riding or commuting. Full leather for the track of course.

·
Registered
28 Posts
xr650-how do you like the shift leather pants? I was thinking the shift havoc cause they are over the boot, but my friends said I would look ridiculous...
I like the shift pants, they have great armor, but the Thor pants are pretty good too. The Thor don't have knee guards, but have enough room for my Asterisk Cells. For track, I wanted to be in full knee protection.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
not quite sure I follow...

So far here are my decisions:
Helmet: The matte black Simpson Gs3-MX with iridium shield. (says better light?, or is it just for looks?)
Gloves: I'm gonna do the APA gloves because they look good, have as much/more palm protection than some $100+ glove, and he's a sponsor local to SC.
Boots: Oxtar Supermoto boots (haven't heard anything really bad about them?)

Still not sure on legs or torso (i.e. knee guards, pants, padded under shorts, vest, TLD speed jacket, just leather etc etc...), but I'm leaning towards the tld with a mildly padded jacket over it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts