SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to supermotos (new to anything that doesn't have 4 cylinders actually...) and I just bought a 2008 SMR 510 with the factory power up kit, 3500 miles on it.

Bike runs awesome, lots of power. Only thing I noticed was if it's idling and I blip the throttle hard, it will die 1 out of every 4 times I do that (assuming that is because it only has one cylinder?).

I did an oil/filter change + 3 oil screen washing right when I got it home (as well as checked everything that I've read needs checking on this site and in the owner's manual, actually had a broken fuel light bracket, so I fixed that as well) just for semi-peace of mind. The strange thing is, when I let all of the old oil out, it smelled like gas (could not smell anything that smelled even remotely like oil). The color, thickness, and feel of it was actually really good (like normal oil), it just smelled like gas.

Anyways, my question is what could cause this? I know my crankcase ventilation should be working because when I blew into the oil fill hole, air came out of the ventilation tube attached to the valve cover, and when I blew through that, it was not clogged (heard air sounds in the intake filter area). However, the crankcase ventilation system is not a PCV system, as in it has no valve that only lets air flow one way, so does the fuel smelling air from the intake get into the engine oil and make it all smell like gas in there or is there something wrong with my engine?

Thanks,
Ruebs

Side Note: When I took the gas tank off to fix the fuel light sensor, I noticed that gas was pouring out of the fuel pump nipple non-stop. Thought that was weird because that doesn't happen on my CBR...

·
Registered
913 Posts
The gas coming out of the fuel pump nipple is normal. You gotta put a vacuum cap on it asap once you pull the line off.
My 510 used to do that whole pop and die when I whacked the throttle at idle. I rejetted and also replaced my leak jet to be leaner and it helped a lot. So Idk maybe your rich???

·
Registered
913 Posts
What does your spark plug tip look like? Is it wet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does your spark plug tip look like? Is it wet?
Nope, was dry and light tan when I checked it... Also did not smell like fuel at all in the cylinder (sniffing in the spark plug hole).

·
Registered
914 Posts
Oil that smells like gas usually means that it's running really REALLY rich somewhere in the powerband ( or everywhere ). It does two bad things, oil with a bunch of gas in it is not a very good lubricant and the extra gas tends to wash down the cylinder wall leaving it with no oil to protect the piston skirt/cylinder wall.

I'd check your carb for a possible stuck float to start with, if you are FI a leaky injector ( has a little crud in it and can't close ) will do the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oil that smells like gas usually means that it's running really REALLY rich somewhere in the powerband ( or everywhere ). It does two bad things, oil with a bunch of gas in it is not a very good lubricant and the extra gas tends to wash down the cylinder wall leaving it with no oil to protect the piston skirt/cylinder wall.

I'd check your carb for a possible stuck float to start with, if you are FI a leaky injector ( has a little crud in it and can't close ) will do the same thing.
Spark plug tip was not black or even dark brown, and if it was running really really rich wouldn't I see some black smoke and notice a loss of power?

·
Registered
913 Posts
As for the whacking throttle n dying I still think its a rich condition. When I installed my fuel tuner I turned the "Accelerator pump" setting all the way up n all the way down. So on the richer side it would do the whole pop n die at idle. Same w my Carbd 510. It had a leak jet of 50 or 60 when it did that. Dropped it down to a 75 and doesn't do it anymore. As for the gas smelling-oil idk. Especially if your plug is good n you say it has good power n doesn't run shitty

·
Registered
913 Posts
To test if you're rich when you whack the throttle I went slow in a higher gear(or slow for that gear that I selected) and let off the gas really quick then WOT. When I was rich, it bogged n jerked, surged. When I was leaner and tuned in it was better and responsive. The speed n power smoothly spooled up instead of losing power and jerking.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes my bike has same issues that gas case in idle, it died frequently if you play the gas handle and this happend power kit also....
I think maybe it was due to the power kit. I can't remember, but I too would smell some gas mixed with oil.
Now a have PC V and adjust in dyno, bike works awesome

·
Registered
914 Posts
Spark plug tip was not black or even dark brown, and if it was running really really rich wouldn't I see some black smoke and notice a loss of power?

An 08 510 is injected right?

I'd suspect the injector leaking a bit when it's supposed to be closed or off ( throttle closed/engine braking ) it wouldn't really show on the plug but could still be wetting down the cylinder wall.

Take the injector out and have it tested, shouldn't cost more than about 20 bucks or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An 08 510 is injected right?

I'd suspect the injector leaking a bit when it's supposed to be closed or off ( throttle closed/engine braking ) it wouldn't really show on the plug but could still be wetting down the cylinder wall.

Take the injector out and have it tested, shouldn't cost more than about 20 bucks or so.
Yep, it is injected. This sounds like it could definitely be it because the bike runs great throughout the RPM's and has tons of power (although I have no other 510 to compare to, my buddy was surprised when he was able to wheelie it in 3rd), and the plug looks good (after acceleration and a short idle, then shut-off).

Anyone know of a good place where I can get an injector tested in/near San Diego? Hopefully this is it and maybe the bike will have even more power after the injector is cleaned or replaced with a new one... :hmmm:

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Seafoam it lol. Shit it worked on my car and lawn equipment. Especially with the really high quality fuel that California supplies us with:anim_peep:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These guys seem to have a local shop to you, bet ya could run it down there and pick it up on the same day, 19.95.

http://cleaninginjector.com/california-fuel-injector-cleaning/san-diego-fuel-injector-cleaning/

No addy on the page, I'm sure a phone call could sort that out.

A google search for " san diego fuel injector testing and cleaning " brought up several options.

Good luck.
Doubtful that they would allow in-person drop-off/pickup since their shipping address is on the east coast, but I'll give them a call. When I searched for it on google maps, it just found a bunch of Mieneke's and lube shops that do "Injector Cleaning" snake-oil style... :rolleyes:

Another thought popped into my head: what if I pull the throttle body off of the "intake manifold" (if you can call it that) and then turn off the kill switch so that the fuel pump gets pumping? That way if I see any gas dripping or trickling out of the throttle body then I know it's for sure leaking when under pressure and supposed to be "off".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seafoam it lol. Shit it worked on my car and lawn equipment. Especially with the really high quality fuel that California supplies us with:anim_peep:
I'll try this if I find that it leaks when the fuel pump is on.

Otherwise, if I can't see the problem for myself, might as well take it to a pro so they can run all their tests on it and make sure the flow/pulse is good.

My suspicion: it is possible whoever tried to fix the fuel light before might have let a tiny piece of dirt or something get into the fuel pump nipple and/or fuel hose and that piece of grit is now in the injector. :poo:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ya you can do that. Good idea. Its just weird if it is leaking since the bike runs fine and the plug is not fouled are black. Maybe taking the injector itself out would be easier. Just make sure you dont fuck up the oring putting it back in

·
Registered
914 Posts
Another thought popped into my head: what if I pull the throttle body off of the "intake manifold" (if you can call it that) and then turn off the kill switch so that the fuel pump gets pumping? That way if I see any gas dripping or trickling out of the throttle body then I know it's for sure leaking when under pressure and supposed to be "off".
Once you have pressure behind it if it is leaking you should be able to see it just like that.

The injector may fire momentarily when you first power it up ( it's called a priming pulse ) not sure if the 510 ECU is programmed to do it or not though. A dirty injector should present itself as dribbling/spraying constantly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I ran the fuel pump with the throttle body pulled out of the "intake manifold" but not even a drop came out (ran through the fuel pump priming sequence a good 10 times).

Then, I started the bike and let it idle for about 10 minutes (the fan did come on) and revved it a couple times to break up the idling, but it idled for a while before I shut it off. It never miss-fired (from what I could hear) and I saw no black or even gray smoke (the exhaust gas was always 100% invisible).

Just from this 10 minutes of idling, the oil level went up about 1/8th of an inch on the sight glass!!! That is an INSANE amount of gas to be leaking in!! (Coolant level has not budged in radiator or overflow tank, and the oil smells like gas, so I'm 99% sure it's gas getting into the oil, I mean what other liquid could it be?)

Pulled the plug and it looks good (see attached picture).

Tomorrow I will do a cold and hot compression test as well as pull the injector and see if I see any leaks with it out of the throttle body while under fuel pump pressure. Hopefully one of those tests will reveal how the heck all of this gas is getting in the oil so quickly! :hmmm: :headscrat :headshake

I just want to ride my supermoto :damn: :damn: :damn: !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Are you watching that immediately sight glass after the 10 minutes of operation. That spark plug looks right to me....
If you want to backup to put it back to be stock, remove the power kit:hmmm::hmmm:.
It is my view, to make sure the issue a bit, it is strange that all of a sudden start to leak gasoline in the engine. Or one alternative is a open the motor

·
Registered
673 Posts
At this point i would definately do a leak down test on it. With everything that has been suggested above the only other thing i could possibly think that would be causing this issue is possibly an intake valve hanging open. If thats the case when you do the leak down you will hear air coming out of your intake. If not it could be your timing is off by alittle bit, but the bike would run like crap if thats the case. Other than that i can think of anything else it could be.:headscrat Good luck man hope you get her sorted out!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts