SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was hoping some of you can help. I just bought this gas gas fse450, also came with another 2 spare 400cc engines. This is a track bike only although i do have everything to put it on the road. I want to make this as quick as possible, what are some options? Is there like a 480 kit for these? Any info is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Very important first question. What year is it? The first generation 450's had different rotating assemblies than the 450's made after 2005. To me, it looks like you have an '05 or earlier, 1st gen model.

2nd gen (2006 - )
Gas Gas made a 515. It uses a 100mm piston. Wossner makes replacements. If you could find a cylinder and gasket kit, it should bolt up, if it's after 2005. That would punch the motor out to 477cc. The 515 crank has a 63mm stroke vs. the 450's 60.8mm stroke. That, alone, would put it to 466cc.

1st gen (2003 - 2005)
The original 400cc FSE motors and the first generation 450's used DRZ rotating assemblies. If a stock DRZ crank worked, you could use a Hot Rods +4mm stroker crank and bring it up to 472cc. I'm not sure, but a 2nd gen piston and cylinder might bolt up to a first gen motor, making it 462cc. If that works, than you could use a Hot Rods DRZ stroker crank and a 2nd gen Gas Gas cylinder, making it 492cc. But, if that's possible, than a 515 cylinder should then match up. With a Hot Rods DRZ crank, it would make 523cc's at that point.

If any of this is possible, I would feel pretty good with myself. :lol:
All of this mix and match crap is speculative.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Doing a big bore kit isnt necessary going to make your bike more quick. Usually a big bore kit will accomplish more torque and lower rpm's because your trying to push a bigger piston up and down. Where as with a smaller engine you can push out more rpm's and will have better acceleration. I would suggest trying different gearing to get the bike where you like it. Its simple and easier on the wallet! Also 450's are usually a pretty snappy engine as is i can speak for the gas gas but if its like a jap bike it should be pretty quick.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Any chance you need an extra set of wheels for that bike? Comes with sprockets and rotors, and a good set of Dunlop slicks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any chance you need an extra set of wheels for that bike? Comes with sprockets and rotors, and a good set of Dunlop slicks.
kinda but getting them to NZ maybe be costly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts