SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since it's too hard to convert my 701 SM to an E, I'm getting a FC/FX450.

Wondering if I have the desire down the road to sell my 701, would it be just as difficult to get the FC/FX450 to FS450 spec?

Obviously need the wheels, rotor, caliper and mc. But looks like same suspension? What about wheel hub clearances etc.?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, some good information here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xb7nr8oJc

Beyond the obvious, looks like the front suspension is same, but set a little lower and softer... no big deal. Clamps are wider by approx. 6-7mm, and the FS has a 16mm offset vs. the FC's 22mm.

Already have a spare set of wheels, caliper and mc, so looks like I could get a FC to a FS by simply changing the triples and using a radial caliper bracket, like this:

https://toxicmotoracing.com/shop/caliper-adapters/436-qtm-radial-caliper-bracket.html#/1828-front_brake_fitment-husqvarna_all_models_2014_2017/1823-qtm_caliper_bracket-radial_108mm

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
And a slipper clutch.

FWIW I feel my non radial Motomaster brake set up was every bit as good as the radial setup on my FS450 - currently running a Braktech Cast Iron rotor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looking at this more closely with the help of rrrr1rob.

Looks like the 2019 FC 450 uses a new 22mm front axle (can anyone confirm?). Going to make mounting the 701 SM wheel or even a FS 450 wheel difficult as both use a 26mm front axle.

Might be able to use something like this:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/16-094.html

But still going to need to make up a longer 22mm front axle.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would expect a 22mm front axle, most 15+ KTMs have them. I'd assumed white KTMs were the same :)

I'd just stick to stock width aftermarket triples, no need to go wider. I fit a 125 Metzeler on my 15 450XC-F with 12? 14? mm triples. Guards require trimming of course.

I haven't ridden an FS450 but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a same generation MX bike, properly set up (springs/valving, triples, Beringer brake, Hinson slipper, nice wheels) was every bit as fast as an FS450. I've talked to plenty of fast guys who prefer the Beringer 6pot to the FS450 brake setup.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Let me know if you want a cheaper radial caliper bracket. for almost half the price.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I’m running older (2006) KTM wheels on my FS450 (for my “wets”)
It was a bit of mucking around, Especially the old cush drive rear hubs.
Also required a spacer on the disc to suit the “wide” FS front end.

The dream of having a bike for Supermoto and off road is common, but involves a lot of compromises. (Less depending on how much effort you are prepared to go to each “conversion”)

The suspension requirements are poles apart.

I’ve put Sumo wheels on my 450EXC and had a ball on the road, even better when geared higher (see “effort on conversion”) but I wouldn’t be happy racing it on the soft off road suspension.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I got my FC 450 and I'm going to have a crack at converting it to supermoto trim over the coming months.

I have ordered the following:

Top triple clamp: 7890103411630
Lower triple clamp: 2610103201630
Bar support: 59401039032
Hourmeter bracket: 78112920044
Front wheel axle: 78909081000

Everything else, including forks, wheels, rotors, front brake mc (I'm running a RCS15), and front caliper is coming off the 701 SM.

Not sure if I'm going to come up against any issues. Have been doing a fair bit of checking over the part diagrams for the FC/FS 450 vs. 701 and looks like I should be pretty much covered. Feel free to let me know if I have overlooked something. Obviously the slipper isn't in the mix here. I need to wait for the bank account to start to look healthy again before spending $1k on a clutch.

If I can get this to work, then I figured the FC 450 is for dirt, FC 450 in sm trim is for kart tracks, and 701 is for tight race tracks and road. Oh and I have the GSXR 1000 for full length tracks. So for the first time in my life, I should be covered for all the type of riding I enjoy.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
So I got my FC 450 and I'm going to have a crack at converting it to supermoto trim over the coming months.

I have ordered the following:

Top triple clamp: 7890103411630
Lower triple clamp: 2610103201630
Bar support: 59401039032
Hourmeter bracket: 78112920044
Front wheel axle: 78909081000

Everything else, including forks, wheels, rotors, front brake mc (I'm running a RCS15), and front caliper is coming off the 701 SM.

Not sure if I'm going to come up against any issues. Have been doing a fair bit of checking over the part diagrams for the FC/FS 450 vs. 701 and looks like I should be pretty much covered. Feel free to let me know if I have overlooked something. Obviously the slipper isn't in the mix here. I need to wait for the bank account to start to look healthy again before spending $1k on a clutch.

If I can get this to work, then I figured the FC 450 is for dirt, FC 450 in sm trim is for kart tracks, and 701 is for tight race tracks and road. Oh and I have the GSXR 1000 for full length tracks. So for the first time in my life, I should be covered for all the type of riding I enjoy.
Front disc spacer:
Older KTM = no spacer
FS450 = 7mm spacer
701SM = 10mm spacer

I got them water jet cut locally.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to drop the ABS from the 701. Will make it easier to switch the front brake setup between bikes.

As far as I can tell, if you strip the whole system, you need to pull fuses and will lose speedo/rear brake light.

For those that kept the actual ABS unit install, but plugged up the terminals, were you able to keep the fuses plugged in and keep the speedo/rear brake light working?

And for those that have bypassed the ABS. Anyone able to provide custom line lengths for front and back? Will help confirm measurements I take this weekend.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Radial caliper brackets for Husqvarna and KTM 100mm spacing

brackets to mount radial calipers to ktm and husky dirt bikes for big brake conversions. 100 mm spacing. Made in the USA and have 20 in stock right now.

$125 shipped anywhere in the USA

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thinking about the rear wheel when converting the FC450 to FS450 and back.

First, wondering if anyone can confirm the FS450 has stock gearing of 14t front, 45t rear? have seen conflicting info that the FS runs a 13t front, which is same as the FC.

Second, it would be nice to avoid needing to change the chain on each conversion if possible. Looking at the rear axle and axle block, and I got the sense that you might be able to rotate both to reduce/expand the wheel base slightly. Anyone had any experience with this? might let me get away with running a ~49t rear using same chain (down from stock 52t for FC) when running in supermoto trim. Which seems like a fairly good compromise, assuming both the FC and FS do run the same size front sprocket.

·
Registered
73 Posts
gearing with 1 chain

I have a '17 350, running 13/50 with dirt wheels and suspension, 14/45 for sm wheels and suspension. I removed 1 or 2 links off the stock chain, but I am able to run one chain between the 2 gearing setups.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First, wondering if anyone can confirm the FS450 has stock gearing of 14t front, 45t rear? have seen conflicting info that the FS runs a 13t front, which is same as the FC.
My '19 FS came with 14/45 from factory.

Part manual shows options to add 13T, 48T, 50T, 52T.

If you ask really nicely at your local dealer, they should be able to supply you with the fork/shock setting list. That way you can have FS valving. You won't have the shortened suspension components or the radial brake lug, but it'll ride like a FS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still working on this when I can get the spare time.

Played around with the rear wheel today. Doubt I'm going to be able to get the 701 SM wheel to fit on the FC 450.

The 701 SM wheel is about 19cm through the axle, end to end. The FC 450 is closer to 18cm.

If you remove the rear brake caliper mount which acts as a spacer (axle runs through it), the space between the FC 450 swingarm ends is about 19cm, but with the rear brake mount, its obviously much closer to 18cm.

The spacers on the 701 SM wheel are almost flush with the sprocket and rear brake disc, so doubt I will be able to make up any space by swapping spacers.

Thoughts on options?

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Still working on this when I can get the spare time.

Played around with the rear wheel today. Doubt I'm going to be able to get the 701 SM wheel to fit on the FC 450.

The 701 SM wheel is about 19cm through the axle, end to end. The FC 450 is closer to 18cm.

If you remove the rear brake caliper mount which acts as a spacer (axle runs through it), the space between the FC 450 swingarm ends is about 19cm, but with the rear brake mount, its obviously much closer to 18cm.

The spacers on the 701 SM wheel are almost flush with the sprocket and rear brake disc, so doubt I will be able to make up any space by swapping spacers.

Thoughts on options?
The “Big” KTM/Husky rear wheels are much too wide at the hub - don’t fit. (Well not without insane mods!)
Potentially you could use your rim and spokes, laced to a new hub - maybe not worth it.

With axle size changes at different year models, wheel swaps can be “problematic”, especially, as I’ve mentioned, the cush drive rears (more difficult, but not impossible, to convert axle sizes. Ask me how I know!).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts