SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not entirely happy with this the full yosh, it was on the bike when it got it a month ago. Has a few thousand miles on it. Options, alternatives? Trades, out right sale? anyone looking for a new exhaust? it is slightly rashed from the original owner, but just on the name plate to be specific.
Looking for a shorter exhaust, dual exhaust, anything other than this.

·
Registered
530 Posts
you have a great pipe man, just chop that bitch, yoshis are easy, just drill out the rivets and and cut the can drill new holes, pop rivet it back on. chop the back half and keep the spark arrestor has a nice clean sound, louder but still just clean, and enjoyable tone., plus just looks cleaner.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just did this old 450 fmf muffler, and made custom slip joints too mount up to a used yoshi head and mid pipe,(same series as yours, I thank Junkyard on here for the steal ) but i can take pics of my buds gsxr yoshi rs3 we just cut down 16 inches.. but here is the one of the fmf cut 7 inches.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
found this hella big picture of a short yoshi for ya

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
crf duals from "matt_rufus09" on here...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crf duals are interesting, was the battery relocated?

someone asked me what i would sell the yoshi for, well i'd need to find a replacement first. I'm fairly new to this game, so i don't know my options yet. Nor do i know what it retails for.

Is there a DIY on cutting down a pipe?

·
Registered
530 Posts
the duals are cool looking, some modding to put the battery in the airbox.
if you trade for duals make sure you get an aftermarket head pipe..

rbut yes cutting it is diy, can be done with a hand saw, bansaw.. whatever just want a clean cut... drill out the rivets on the muffler closes to the midpipe.. pull off the muffler can.. then cut the muffler where you want.. after that you'll need to drill it out, use the old piece of muffler that you just cut off as a template for your rivet holes.. mark the new muffler with a sharpie, drill out the holes.. place the muffler back on the base plate(where the pipe end and the muffler begins) after that rivet it back on .. if you dont cut it to much the muffler mounting band will just bolt back up too. then key on, start and enjoy.

i hope you keep your pipe and chop it.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
battery is in his air box...

as far as chopping your exhaust its pretty much as described above... I've never done a yoshi but I can imagine you take the allens out of the end cap pull and take it off, what they screw into is probably what is rivited to the can, drill out the rivets and cut the can and what I can only assume is the center baffle down to length mark your holes for where the rivets are (measure from the edge of the end cap that sits against the can to the center of the rivet holes) and drill. Then just use pop rivets to put it back together. I hope that helps, again I've never done it to that yoshi but I have chopped exhausts...

·
Registered
102 Posts
sell your pipe then buy a MRD ssw, then your done :)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
sell your pipe then buy a MRD ssw, then your done :)
I'll +1 that in addition to what i've said above :lol:
There is a reason to why everyone including me around here loves them...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love the look and sound of the yosh dual set up but its not for everyone. I only street mine, my race days are in the past so looking good (the bike not me) is what I'm going for.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Take the spark arrester out. It'll sound way better.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you decide to cut, cut the end closest to the mid-pipe. That way, if your cut isn't super clean, it's still hidden behind the sidepanel.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Will a dremel work for the cut? Or should i be looking at a hack saw?
A dremel will work, may take some time and a bunch of those little cut off disks but it'll make it through. No matter how hard I try to cut a straight line with a hack its usually never happens. Here is a tip though, measure back on from the edge of the can to where you want to cut and in four spots top, bottom, side 1 and side 2 just make a mark with a sharpie. Then take some painters tape and go around the can a couple of times making sure the edge of the tape hits your marked spots top, bottom and sides. Then you will have a nice straight line to follow with what ever you cut with. If you stay a little ahead of the tape line you can hand file to touch up the edge....Good luck and post some pics :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts