SuperMoto Junkie banner

Full size vs. Mini Moto?

6K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  yetimcclin 
#1 ·
a group of friends and I are lookin to get some bikes to have fun on at the local kart track. the idea is something to ride on the weekends at the local kart track. We are trying to decide between "big" bikes or minis. we are trying to wiegh the cost, vs the fun.

does anyone have both full size and mini bikes?

#2 ·
Yup... My friend and I ride/race road bikes, dirt bikes and supermoto. We both, and all of our friends, LOVE to ride the CRF 50's with street tires. We put on our suits and gear and have at it for hours.. TONS of fun!!! And we have been using the same tires for years. LoL. Best part is a couple of cones or a cool parking lot, and you have a instant track!! :bannana:

#6 ·
I've road raced, mini raced, and just started on a big SM bike. I've been racing minis since 2004, and it's the most fun you can have on 2 wheels. If I'd started racing minis and graduated to a big road racer, I would've fared much better. You can learn soooooo much about carrying momentum, and corner speed. And don't think these little bikes don't pack enough wallop to get you in trouble, cuz they do!

#7 ·
since you're doing this with your buddies, evenly matched bikes are the way to go. i wouldn't go smaller than a crf150, otherwise sometimes it just feels like you're sitting around waiting to finally get to the next corner, but maybe that's because i'm coming from bigger bikes.

the most fun bike i've ridden at the track I think was a yz125sm, super tiny feeling but pushed hard you can take down plenty of drz riders.

the obvious advantage of a bike like wr250x or drz is that you also have a very fun/capable street bike, so take that into consideration.

edit: hell i don't know, they're all fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.