SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hornet DS, which is a great helmet save for one thing, you can only get a light smoke shield for it.
Now the question,
Has anyone tried to darken the tint on a face shield before?

I was thinking that the stick on window tint (if done carefully) would work. I would really like to see this helmet with mirror tint, that would look bad ass. But even just the upper half done in a darker tint would be better. As it is now I have to wear sunglasses under the light smoke shield.
Anyone got other ideas?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I tried the stick on tint. Too many bubbles. I ran a dark strip across the top to block the sun. With it being at the top, the bubbles did not bother me as they were not in my line of vision.

Since then I have done away with the dark tint and ran a strip of black gorilla tape inside and out. At the center of the shield the tape comes 1¾" down. This black out really keeps the low sun out if I tip my head a bit. Still need a dark shield to help block the ambient light.

Using the tape at the top just emphasizes the fact that the visor on the helmet is more for looks than function.

Only light smoke is available? Makes me believe someone out there is trying to keep us from hurting ourselves.

I'm wondering if a professional tinter could put film on it and make it darker?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've seen exactly what you're talking about sold for visors. Like a tint. They're def available.

I had an antifog one years ago when I did a lot of winter riding. It was adhesive round the edges but not the middle, sort of like double-glazing :lol: but it worked good.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd say give it a shot. Not like the stuff is crazy exspensive. The pros can do it without bubbles so there has to be a way. Just stop by a local tint shop and ask for tips and tricks or if they will do it for you. I think i have heard of spraying the surface with water or soapy water which will make it able to move around and push out the bubbles, then it dries out and the adhesive still works the same.

Let me know what you find cause i have the same helmet and would like a tinted shield. I remember looking for one when i first got it and finding some old forum posts about it and maybe people found a solution but i didn't follow through with it, i just got nice sunglasses instead.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
very clean surface

soapy water (they even sell tinting solution)

hair dryer or heat gun - be careful it's plastic and will melt

soft squeegy or cover your squeegee edge with a soft towel

watch some youtube "how to tint" - you are now a tint pro

I did the windows on my van and didnt clean it well enough so I wound up with 3 or 4 tiny bubbles that eventually broke from rolling the windows up and down. No one but me ever notices them and it looks perfect otherwise. Not really that hard of a process just takes practice. Dont be afraid to use alot of solution, keep it wet so you can work it and save the heat gun for the curves at the end.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll go find some and try it on my clear shield that I never use. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's just what I was looking for. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts