SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my cousin to bring his bike out to the parking lot we were stunting at yesterday to get some practice in and he was riding for like 20 minutes then stopped to talk for a second so shut his bike off, went to refire it a minute later and it sputtered a little then wouldnt do anything but crank over.

Let the bike sit for about a half hour and it fired back up, he rode it for another 15 minutes or so and it did the same thing when he shut it off, would crank but no sputter or fire or anything.

Let it sit again for a while it cranked back up he started riding and yet another 15 minutes into it it actually shut off while he was riding it and in a wheelie at the time which i know had nothing to do with it.

any ideas? never had a single problem with mine and mine runs hot all the time to the point where my exhaust burns my legs just normal street riding.

I think its the fuel pump getting hot and quitting but not 100% sure but the one time it did fire back up i turned the key on and actually heard the pump come on for just a second then it sputtered and fired up and was good for a lil bit.

anyone know if theres a way to fix the fuel pumps when they go or just need replacing?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump. From what I've read about the 08 pumps, they would get warm and quit on you. You could be lucky and cool them off and get some more time on then, but eventually they will just crap out.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My bike was really hard to start the other day after stalling at a light :damn:
The pump doesn't always sound the same when I turn the key, its not a constant humm, sometimes the pitch goes up and down. Mine is an 08 with almost 8k on it. As of now it runs fine but kinda hestitates off idle sometimes. Should I just go ahead and get a new pump?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup thats whats starting to go bad on ya. get it really hot like riding in tight woods or in a parking lot for a while once its good n hot shut it off then try to restart it if you dont hear a full prime from the pump its going bad and eventually you'll have to let it cool down for an hour before it will reprime

·
Registered
107 Posts
get in contact with Yamaha

Hey man not sure if this is true or not... but my bike has 26,000 on it and the guy i bought it from said right before i got it the fuel pump went out so it was way of warranty because i just got it 5 months or so ago.. He said he was really nice to them when he called told them that he knew it was a problem on the 08 and said they took care of it for him for free... Dont know if it is true but i dont think he would lie about something like that.. Hope this helps its worth a shot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you stall at a light sometimes they are hard to start back up even sometimes if i try to start mine before the fuel pump primes all the way it wants to start hard... quick turn of the key and it fires right up on mine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rode about 225 miles today and pump didn't have a complete failure yet but it did cut really hard once and several short stalls. I really want it to fail completely so I can reproduce my symptoms at the dealer. I'm going to take it Tuesday and drop it off, hopefully they will understand.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Okay sorry if this was covered in another post but since this is fresh i will ask, Is 08 the only year the WR-X had fuel pump issues? Iv got a 10 and was just curious if this is something to look forward to lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dropped it off today. It was sitting in the sun and the gas light came on as I was pulling in. Hopefully I can get this resolved asap.

Problem was only with 2008 models.

·
Registered
39 Posts
they said they were unable to reproduce it, they are going to try tomorrow but it looks like im going to have to order one on my own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts