SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 60 years old and built this bike because I am an idiot. It has a Hotcams stage 2 cam, CP 13:1 forged piston, Big Gun slip-on exhaust, Baja Designs rewound stator, and a +11 high energy flywheel. The full Baja Designs street legal kit and Trail Tech Vector computer with remote switches were added only a few weeks ago. Excel 17 in. wheel (3.5 front, 5.5 in rear) have Dunlop qualifiers with good tread. Front brake is an EBC with the stock calipers relocated. Frame sliders and peg slider plus a Kubalink rear linkage are installed.

I used the bike as a track day bike on the east and west track at Firebird raceway here in Phoenix 6 or 7 times. When I stopped doing track days I decided to make the bike street legal. It is titled with a street title and plated here in AZ. After a few weeks of riding the bike on the street I realize that it is too extreme for me. I'm going back to my Harley (it has electric start and at 60 years of age that seems pretty cushy).

The bike run very well and is in overall very good to excellent condition. It has a couple of scuffs in the plastic from the track days, ( I suck) and it still needs a side stand. I am asking $5,100 or a trade for a fun street bike, say and SV650 or a Ducati Monster or a BMW FG650, you get the idea.

I have no server to post pictures but the bike is also listed at Thumpertalk.com and I have a couple of pictures posted there. Call at 602 739 6171 or you can Email me here or at [email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer but I am really more interested in a V twin or a milder dualsport. The Suzuki would have been fun when I was 25 but at 60 it might be has hard for me to ride as the CRF.

Thanks again;
John C.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a "less extreme" motard here in the valley i'll trade ya and throw you some cash. Im looking for something "more extreme" since im still in my 20's and can get away with it :) Its getting a full overhaul at extreme suzuki in scottsdale right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use premium pump gas from Mobil. No special reason that I use Mobil, it's just the closest gas station. I have been tempted to try race gas a couple of times but there is no real reason to.
The engine has 2 track days (about 3 hours riding time) and about 100 street miles on it ( I am still riding it on the street so mileage will be indefinite, but I no longer do track days).
I changed the fork oil after the second track day. The valves are within speck, I have a full shim kit so if they need to be adjusted before it sells I will take care of that. I will also include the shim kit with the bike. I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in both the trany and engine side. There is a lot of debate on oils, just do a search. I use Mobil 1 for two reasons. Mobil basically invented synthetic oil and it's the only synthetic oil that was available when I bought my first nice bike, so it's a tradition thing. Us old guys don't deal well with change.
Thanks for looking
John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm an experienced rider (motocross, street) and am looking for my first SM bike. I rode a DRZ400, not nearly aggressive enough for my style. I'd use it as a street toy, practicing stunts, no commuting, no track time. You mention the bike is a handful. How does the overall ride compare to a stock CRF450? I'd hate to buy the bike and find out it's just unstreetable. :) I did that with a big 13:1 compression car once, it was a mistake. I like insanity on tap but I'd like to be able to cruise comfortably when necessary.

Will this bike go, say, 65 without any issues? I only ask because the really good twisty mountain road around here is about 15 minutes of highway driving away from me. :) I've read some of the posts regarding highway driving with a converted 450 but am curious to get your opinion of this bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read the same posts, so out of respect for my bike I don't do any highway riding. For me work is a 6 mile ride on city streets from my house. It isn't worth it to me to take a chance on droning the engine along on the highway even though the highway portion would only be 4 miles. Paranoia is a terrible thing. From what I understand the transmission depends on shifting of gears and side to side motion for proper gear lubrication. City streets are fine because of frequent turns and constant acceleration and deceleration. Same thing with racer road, the frequent turns and acceleration out of the turns keeps the bike happy. I don't want to discourage you but I don't want you to be unhappy with the bike either. If you want to use it to ride like a goof ball, this is the bike. It's fine for running quick errands and for an occasional commute to work or school, but as a highway cruiser it sucks.
John

·
Registered
24 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks for the info. I have a "back way" to the mountain roads through the city so I can avoid the highway. ;) I may be giving you a call this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sold pending funds

The bike is sold pending funds and pick up. If this sale falls through I have decided to keep the bike. Maybe I'm not to old after all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bike has been sold

If I could figure out how to edit my first post I would have put this there but anyway. Sold the bike to a very nice young man from Albuquerque. It was not the smoothest transaction of my life, which was in no way his fault, he just had a little bad luck on the road getting here.
Keith broke down on the road about 5 miles from my house and had to rent a truck to take the bike home. You will probably get some questions from him about the care and feeding of the CRF450R so give him good advice. I'm going to be out of SM for a while but if I ever get another bike I'll be sure to come back to you folks. Ride safe and have fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts