SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing through discussions I found a lot of conversations about tire pressure.
One said that pressure at rear tire should be higher then front - other said inversely.
Can anyone explain me this?
I used to ride with lower pressure front...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run my tires both the same on both of my bikes and the recommended pressures are always too high. Try the 10% rule , If your tire pressure goes up more than 10% when the tires warm up , You're too soft , less than 10% , too hard. This works for any tire , any bike , any rider weight. My sportbike I run at 33 psi front and rear , and my supermoto I run at 22 front and rear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I understand that I need to set my pressure according to temp, weight, contitions, etc...
But I don't understand why people have a lower pressure at rear tire then at front?
Is there a physicist behind it?
Bigger tire - more air - higher pressure increase?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you talking about track use or street? Running the rear lower than the front (cold pressures) is not uncommon for track use or racing with race compound tires. For street use, on street tires, the front/rear pressures are usually similar or the rear higher. As previously mentioned, what really matters is the dynamic pressure (when hot), which depends on usage (load, street/track, etc.).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts