SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
has anyone tried turning they're crank sprocket inside out to gain more chain clearance?
What will happen, will the sprockets wear quickly?
Maybe chain pops/slides out?

It will be out of alignment im guessing but ive done a test fit and its only barely visible, if i didnt know i might not of even noticed it.

I just wanted to do it for one track day as i want to use a wider rear tyre then i have atm, and after that i would get the rim laced properly, but if its going to do some major damage, then i would rather not.

cheers

·
Registered
815 Posts
As long as you can space the wheel out the same amount there is no issue. As someone who ran a set of marchesini's on a streetbike without realizing the left spacer was improper and sprockets were not aligned, I can tell you it will eat sprockets and chains proportional to the distance out of alignment. If you have a chain slider, expect increased wear as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What's plum on a supermoto anyway LOL.

I had to reverse mine to compensate for my rear sprocket being offset by about 2.5mm.

I think if we were pushing the horsepower of a sportbike, it would be more of an issue really. But, you are correct, it will wear both your chain and sprockets out more quickly. Luckily for use sumo parts are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
487 Posts
yea I flipped mine and added spacers on back of sprocket so my 160 pirelli slick wouldnt hit the chain as bad on my 5 inch rim

·
Registered
364 Posts
yea I flipped mine and added spacers on back of sprocket so my 160 pirelli slick wouldnt hit the chain as bad on my 5 inch rim
I have the same setup minus the slick, but a diablo. I still had to dish my rim over a smidge, but I have zero chain contact now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I run a countershaft spacer and a homemade slider, chain and sprockets do seem to wear a bit faster, especially clearing a 160 rear. I am running Marchesini wheels as well, there spacers seem to work fairly well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts