SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick questons here,, ok,, Im riding a 02 crf450r, and Im wanting to stiffen the front up being that im not doing any jumps with it. and just strictly road racing,, and im not building the forks right now ($$$).. Ok what are a couple of things I can do.. like go to a heavier weight fork oil.. what weight do i go to?? whats in it factory?? also,, what kindof air pressures on these smaller bikes?? i had a mini moto day yesterday and I ran around 20 psi,, and had no problems,, if you have any other suggestions of what I can do with my fairly stock crf450, it would help. Im running pirelli dragon supercorsa (soft compound) tires on front and rear,, and they worked good with the 20 lbs of air..

·
Registered
195 Posts
What is your weight? This will make a tuners choice for you better.

Have you owned the bike since new? If not, the stock oil may not be in there. If so I believe without looking at manual that it is 7 wt oil.

Talk to a local fork tuner (or non local) ask thier advice. If you pick a tuner explain you will be using him to build your forks when you have the cash.

Tire PSi- Check it cold and then check it hot right after you come off the track. 3-4 psi increase is what you are looking for. OR- talk to the most local tire vendor of Pirelli. He will tell you what works with that brand. If you can't find one- check a roadrace forum (like the WERA forum) or PM me and I will ask my local.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have not owned since new.. i hear of going to a 20weight oil.. maybe ill try it.. im just under 200 pounds,, (188ish)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm in the same situation with my KTM '02 520 EXC. I'm now learning you can put spacers (metal washers, piece of PVC pipe) in the bottom of the fork tubes to stiffen the springs for the road - along with heavier oil it should be a temporary solution until we get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So I'm searching around looking for tips on installing these spacers

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANYTHING

1 - 4 of 4 Posts