SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to SM and considering doing my SM conversion with a set of 17" Warp 9 tubeless forged wheels on my FE 501. I will be riding street, mountain and track days. Can anyone out there share some experience (good, bad or indifferent) with a tubeless forged vs spoke'd set up?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You plan on jumping the bike a lot? If so then forged wheels may not be the best idea. Spoke'd wheels can handle some more abuse like that.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Ill second that. One main reason to go cast or forged is to go tubeless. Alpina also makes spoked tubeless rims but are a good but more money. The tubes add weight and also affect how the tire heats up on the track.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Spokes are stronger, Marchesinis are the best forged but like 3 grand and Alpina are the best spoked tubeless wheels but also are super spendy.

You can make spoked wheels tubeless ;) I have don it to a lot of wheel sets. But I also have set of Alps and Marchis and made my Exel/Talons tubeless.

Reactions: shift1313

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
True. I had mixed results trying to convert rims to tubeless with gorilla tape and rtv on the spoke nipples. I am much more confident in my alpinas ;)
You were soing it wrong. 6 years on one set and 10 on another wuth the way I do it. I use 3m 4412n extreme sealing tape ;)

See? Now you have another excuse to come visit me haha

Attachments

Reactions: shift1313

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you just use 3m 4412 tape on the rim and that does the job?? Do you do anything else to make secure the tape to combat the tape coming loose from the wheel spinning at 100+ mph? If it's just the tape then I'm def gonna try this on the wheels I'm building right now!

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
So you just use 3m 4412 tape on the rim and that does the job?? Do you do anything else to make secure the tape to combat the tape coming loose from the wheel spinning at 100+ mph? If it's just the tape then I'm def gonna try this on the wheels I'm building right now!
Yep, just the tape and of course valve stems. Clean the hoop with denatured alcohol to remove any oils. The use a hair drier or heat gun to warm the hoop. Works best with two people to install the tape.
I like to start the tape on the back of the valve stem then work my way around pressing the tape down with a vinyl application squeegee then when I come back to the valve stem I cut about 6" more from the roll. Before you press that part down you remove the thin plastic top liner then press it down then peel that clear stuff off, punch a hole from the tape side through the valve stem. Mount tire, air up to like 50 ot 60 psi. put in valve core and let sit with 50/60 psi while you do the other one. Then check for leaks and bam, mount wheel and air down to your pressures.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You were soing it wrong. 6 years on one set and 10 on another wuth the way I do it. I use 3m 4412n extreme sealing tape ;)

See? Now you have another excuse to come visit me haha
Well the problem i had was on an sm pro rim. The spoke area didnt seal well. But yes i probably did it wrong ;) alpina is much easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Well the problem i had was on an sm pro rim. The spoke area didnt seal well. But yes i probably did it wrong ;) alpina is much easier.
See, you need to het your ass over here ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts