SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any regrets about loosing the offroad bike, or is the street riding more enjoyable, and worth the loss?

·
Registered
406 Posts
converted......but keeped the dirt setup so i can throw it on any time =)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
get a yzf, rmz, kxf, crf ect... then buy a set of wheels and brakes. takes me 30 minutes to go from full sumo to full dirt or vise versa. i have each set of wheels set up with their own rotors and sprockets. adjusting the chain for different gearing takes the most time for my swap. best of both worlds.

hoping to buy a super single set up then i can do everything with one bike. i have the marchesinis already, so i need the bodywork, clipons, rear sets, and suspension. then truely you have a do it all bike, supermoto, dirt, and road race. ski

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
+1 on having a second dirt setup. Since most supermoto bikes came from a dirt background, its should be easy and fairly cheap to find a 18/21" stock rim setup to keep knobbies on for getting dirty.

Some people sell their supermoto bikes with both the 17" and stock rim sets. If you can find a person doing that, you'd be set :thumbup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
when I converted my 07 wr450 I just put dot knobbies on the stock rims , I can swap the 17's off in about 45 minutes to hit the dirt . but lately I've just been hitting the dirt with the 17's

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
kept my stock set-up.....has not been put back on since conversion.......and they may not again because i have another crf450r dirt machine and it could use some new wheels and brakes.......my dirt maqchine is a 03 crf450 and sumo is a 07crf450......i have so many new/spare parts it's unreal......but i wont sell any of them......i have enough to keep my bikes going for ten more years!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
As has been said, no reason to have one or the other. I have switched my DRZ back and forth for years. Plus I ride plenty of dirt and gravel on the SM wheels. Last few times out I have ridden ORV trails with wheel deep water crossings. Aside from the water crossings, the ORV trail has been easy enough that knobbies are not required. I also have a dedicated SM race bike and a dedicated dirt bike, so I just ride whatever I feel like riding. And no regrets! :D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
As has been said, no reason to have one or the other. I have switched my DRZ back and forth for years. Plus I ride plenty of dirt and gravel on the SM wheels. Last few times out I have ridden ORV trails with wheel deep water crossings. Aside from the water crossings, the ORV trail has been easy enough that knobbies are not required. I also have a dedicated SM race bike and a dedicated dirt bike, so I just ride whatever I feel like riding. And no regrets! :D

+3

I took some guys out last weekend on some offroad trails here in NC.

Mike's actually been on some of these (Hurricane Creek), and while

they were on knobbies, I left my 17" slicks on. Mucho fun. I do have

my stock wheels tho. Sometimes I throw them on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
get a yzf, rmz, kxf, crf ect... then buy a set of wheels and brakes. takes me 30 minutes to go from full sumo to full dirt or vise versa. i have each set of wheels set up with their own rotors and sprockets. adjusting the chain for different gearing takes the most time for my swap. best of both worlds.

hoping to buy a super single set up then i can do everything with one bike. i have the marchesinis already, so i need the bodywork, clipons, rear sets, and suspension. then truely you have a do it all bike, supermoto, dirt, and road race. ski
i have the body work brand new and front forks clip ons from a new 07 gsxr750... shoot me an email.. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I ride the dirt on my street tires. No issues other than snow and mud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts