SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find an exact answer anywhere!! I bought my 07 drz sm with about 6k miles one it. I now have almost 12k miles. I ride hard (like any supermoto). I have noticed my front rotor is making lots of noise and is very loose. I took my tire and wheel into a shop to get the tire replaced and asked the guy in there about it. He said it is normal and not to worry about it. I know floating rotors are supposed to have play. But it seems mine has a lot of play. I can grab the front brakes while parked and move my bike back and forth hear and see the clanking back and forth. It seems to stop fine and i dont feel any vibration, but it just feels too loose to me. My buddy has an 08 husky with 2k miles on it with brembo brakes and a floating rotor. His rotor has 9 bushings instead of the 6 on my bike but his barely moves at all. Is it normal to have lots of play on mine? Like i said, it still brakes fine, just feels and looks very loose. Should i just listen to the guy at the shop and ride it? Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Happened to mine, I replaced it with a slotted wave rotor. I don't take chances on brakes

·
Registered
366 Posts
mine only moves a 1/4 inch, how much play does it have?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Every manufacture has a different amount of play in the rotor. A true full floating rotor will move some, most are also directional, so don't install it backwards.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my rotor is the stock drz rotor. i dont really know how to measure it but there is probably an 1/8" or so maybe 1/4". I guess ill run it till i feel it vibrate or feel some other weird thing. Ive got another question wayyyyy off topic but ill post here anyway for you guys. I am thinking between two bikes right now. DRZ is too slow. Im thinking a KTM 690 SMC or 690 Duke. The new dukes btw, thoughts??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your DRZ rotor may have issues, I was reffering to aftermarket full floating rotors. OEM rotors generally have no play. If it vibrating ditch it ASAP.

The duke vs the smc?

Well the duke isn't a super moto, so I'm pretty biased in my opinion. But, I not saying its not a good bike. Street fighters or naked bikes are a blast.

I'd get the SMC.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i agree. the stock drz rotor may have an issue. i have ridden several stock drz sm's and none of them had a problem to the extent that you are talking about.

I got a chance to ride a ktm690smc at the local cart track. its nice and smooth but doesnt have the snap of a 450 and its pretty heavy. brakes were strong but not a lot of feel to em. hydrolic clutch was buttery smooth but again lacks feel. if i were going to be doing more highway riding or even fast canyons the 690 would be awesome but for tight track use i would prefer a mx'er. i guess it all depends on what you will be doing with your bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help guys. I think i may just invest in a new rotor, not the place to skimp! I really feel i want to stay in the super moto world and so a duke is probably out of class. I wish i had lots of money and i could just have my own personal fleet for every occasion! How would the KTM 690 smc compare to a husky 510 SMR? my buddy has one of those and i like it, just maybe wanting something different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts