SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tasked with writing the text for a flier to pass around at the Hub City event. As many of you probably guessed, I am not terribly interested in bikes, famous riders, tech talk, etc. I am not generally stupid, but those truly were blank stares if you tried talking shop with me at some point in time. Yes, my head was nodding on autopilot.

Anyway, I wanted to get some input from the e-board on what I have so far. Please correct any mistakes, whether they be grammar, spelling, or history. Please suggest any pertinent points that you think should be included.

When you have given me all I think I can get, I will very likely post a revised version on the general forum and try to get a wider point of view. This is for the non-riders, and I want them to get the most complete and interesting information I can gather.

FYI, we will probably be handing out copies of the promo video with the fliers.

Without further ado...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
WHAT YOU WILL WITNESS THIS WEEKEND

You are about to witness the fastest growing form of motorcycle racing. Although this course does not have all of the challenges a typical supermoto race has, you will still see dirt bikes with slick tires screaming 90+ miles per hour through tight, city streets. If you wander the course, you will see them going over a jump, negotiating tight corners, leaning so far as to scrape foot pegs, sliding the back tire through turns, pulling wheelies out of corners, bumping bars, and flying down straights. Typical supermoto races also include varied jumps and turns in dirt... still sporting the slick tires. Before supermoto is further explained, please understand, YOU CAN DO THIS, TOO! Supermoto in the Northwest is a club, not a strictly professional race series. You might already have a bike you can race. Read on...

A BRIEF HISTORY OF SUPERMOTO

What is considered Supermoto racing began in 1979 when ABC's Wide World of Sports added an event named Superbikers. The intent was to challenge road racers, flat trackers, and off-road racers to find the best, all-around motorcycle racer by pitting them against each other on tracks that were a combination of dirt and asphalt. When the event was cancelled by ABC in 1985, supermoto died a quick death in the United States. However, the European racers that participated in the Superbiker series continued the sport in their home countries where it has grown ever since.

THE HISTORY OF SUPERMOTO IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST

It is not possible to trace the exact time or place when supermoto racing started happening again in the United States, but the AMA started their own supermoto championship in 2003. Many smaller efforts were in effect before this, including supermoto racing in the Pacific Northwest. Supermoto racing in the Northwest was started in 1997 by racing enthusiasts that also were members of the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association (WRRMA). The races were run as classes within the race days put on by WMRRA. In 1998, Chuck Sun and Don Canet worked to build a separate entity known as Super TT, or STTARS. The races were still being run alongside the WMRRA events, but with SSTARS rules and organization. At the end of the 1998, it became clear that Chuck and Don were not going to be able to coordinate all of the local races in Washington and California at the same time. Kim and Carl Blake stepped up to become the promoters for the Northwest. Carl and Kim put their heart and soul into building a successful race organization, and supermoto racing simply wouldn't exist in the Northwest without their hard work.
In 2002, the Blakes and Brok McAllister created a partnership to promote amateur racing. Supermoto USA was born. The initial idea was to unify all of the regional, amateur organizations across the country into a single, cohesive unit. This turned out to be impractical and the idea was scrapped. Instead, Supermoto USA focused on what it does best: promoting regional level racing in Northern California, Washington and Oregon.
In 2003, Supermoto USA put on the first AMA Grand National Supermoto Championship. At the end of 2003, there was agreement that the Northern California Series and the Northwest Series would work more independently, but still maintain a working relationship. At the end of the 2003 season, Carl and Kim decided that it was time for them to retire from the racing world for a while. After many years of blood, sweat, and tears, it was time to stop.
To ensure the survival of supermoto racing in the Northwest, Supermoto USA was acquired by Ron West and Kurt Hansen, who have been racers in the NW Series since 1999. Ron also promoted the Northwest Mini Road Racing Series in the Seattle area from 1999-2003. Ron and Kurt were having too much fun racing supermoto, and they were impelled to keep the sport alive so they could continue to race. Kurt and Ron worked hard to build a club-like, family oriented series that was not intended to be a stepping stone to pro racing. "Just a bunch of guys that want to race," the club's focus was on non-aggressive riding, comradarie, and fun.
In 2004, two new tracks were added to the series: Port Angeles Speedway and the Evergreen Speedway at the Monroe Fairgrounds. In 2005, a previously visited track was returned to because of a huge rider request - the karting facility just outside of Spokane, Washington. Also in 2005, two North vs. South events were held, one event was held in Medford, Oregon and the other in Canby, Oregon. Between 2005 and the present, Supermoto USA Northwest riders have participated in supermoto events in Medford Oregon, McMinnville Oregon, Canby Oregon, Yakima Washington, Tri-Cities Washington, Monroe Washington, Port Angeles Washington, Victoria British Columbia, and Abbotsford British Columbia. Supermoto USA Northwest riders have also been invited to exhibition races at Monroe, Cascade Locks, Chehalis, Forks, Packwood, New Westminster British Columbia, and Redmond Oregon. For practice and fun, many of the Supermoto USA Northwest riders have also participated in other forms of racing such as flat track racing at Monroe, Bellingham, and Renton, arena cross in Monroe, ice racing in the Everett Events Center, 24-hour endurance ice racing in Canada, and countless hare scrambles and trail rides.
As of 2007, Supermoto USA Northwest is focusing on the Seattle area. At the same time, they are trying to lend support to the start-up series in Portland, British Columbia, and Tri-Cities/Spokane. The Portland series is run between the McMinnville track and the Canby track (Mac Track and Pat's Acres). British Columbia started with races in Victoria, but Vancouver supermoto is growing fast and the promotors are extremely dedicated and organized. British Columbia supermoto racing will certainly be growing strong in the next few years, and their riders are gettting fast. Tri-Cities and Spokane are working on creating a unique series where both locations will have flat track and supermoto courses. The idea would be to run flat track on one day of an event and include a supermoto bike class, then run supermoto the next day and include a flat track bike class. That will make for some amazing weekends!

YOU CAN RACE SUPERMOTO, TOO!
Here will be an explanation of how supermoto is the in-between sport for those who want it all. The grace of motocross, the beauty of road racing, blahblahblah. Cheap entry fees, low cost of maintenance, plenty of venues. Get in on the ground floor and be a part of something growing, etc. Don't be nervous, as the fellow riders are extremely accepting and helpful. Supermoto in the Northwest is what you want it to be - train for pro supermoto, get better so you can ride safely on the street, ride fast in a controlled environment, socialize, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've added references to our guys going to stateline and long beach and corrected a few minor grammar errors. I won't post the revised version until more is changed from your suggestions.

By the way, all of the history came from wikpedia and our susa.net website... I certainly did not know all that! But, my sources were limited... We don't want it too long, but there may be other facts that are worth including that I did not come across.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The last, unfinished section is where I would put how they can get involved. Let me know what to cut out of the history to shorten it up. It is long, but I personally found it very interesting and enlightening, even when I was reading it out loud last night to Melissa. But I know most people wouldn't care about a lot of that info because they aren't involved in the background. I put in the big headers so people would see they can skip to whatever they want to read.

If anyone can suggest how we turn this all into a visually appealing flier, I could use the help. I don't even know where to begin with that part of the process. Then we need to get them printed...

Oh yeah, and while reading it out loud, I was COMPELLED (not IMPELLED) :hammer: to replace a certain word with another word. I knew it was wrong when I wrote it, but the right word wouldn't come to mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts