SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 SMR450 I picked up as a left over a couple months ago.

Ive done two oil changes already and although mileage seems high it has 850 miles.
(for initial valve check)

I decided it was time to check the valves. After owning several 4 stroke dirtbikes I kind of dreaded it because it was always a pain and something was ALWAYS out of adjustment.

I just want to say that this bike is the EASIEST bike I have EVER had to check the valves on. I didnt even have to disconnect the tank.

The specs were all good the right exhaust was a little snug getting .006 in but the .005 was no drag at all so Im going to leave it alone and check it again around 1500 miles just to make sure everything is sound.

I also was thinking about running some of the lucas top end motor lube? I forget the exact name but its a gas additive. Has anyone run this in their bikes?

Oh and heres a stupid picture so this thread isnt totally beat. :lol:

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I was also very impressed with the simplicity of the Husky valve train design on my first check. 5000 + miles later and it's still good, takes longer to do a full oil/screen/filter change.:clap:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think yours is the first I've seen with the buddy pegs on it....good for stand ups, right?
I picked up a 09 left over a couple months ago too and absolutely loving this bike as a street and track toy! My ol 610 was a great street machine but this thing is a completely different animal!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 06 510... and to be dead honest Im am so much happier with the 450.

Yea I got the pegs on there they didnt come on there but I put them on for the non girlfriend/girlfriend shes been begging me to take her for a ride (im totally against it) So I took her for a quick cruise. Lets talk about how fast it was to how slow it went :lol:

I actually havent tried stand ups with those yet just because they are so down low and close to the actual foot peg...guess what im doing this weekend? :hmmm:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
how the hell do you pull the valve cover without pulling the tank?:headscrat

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't know, seems the two times I pulled my tank to do the PCV and the fuel pump ziptie it wasn't possible to do without dribbling gas everywhere. Plus, that plastic elbow on the fuel pump seems very weak. I'd like to disconnect that thing as few times as possible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the tank unbolted and it moves side to side. The valve cover came right off with some massaging of the Rad hose. The hardest part was getting thebike to turn over for TDC.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep, just undo the tank bolt and prop it up a 4-5 inches. On the fuel injected bikes it is best not to pull the tank (and totally unnecessary) because the fuel fitting is very fragile (a lot of people seem to break them).

You don't need to get it to "TDC", just make the cam lobes on the intake/exhaust both point inwards at the same time.. with the bike in gear pull the compression release and rotate the rear wheel with your hand to move it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yep, just undo the tank bolt and prop it up a 4-5 inches. On the fuel injected bikes it is best not to pull the tank (and totally unnecessary) because the fuel fitting is very fragile (a lot of people seem to break them).

You don't need to get it to "TDC", just make the cam lobes on the intake/exhaust both point inwards at the same time.. with the bike in gear pull the compression release and rotate the rear wheel with your hand to move it.
aka... TDC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea... TDC is just for the ease of being able to check all 4 valves at the same time :lol: I just make sure the lobe is outta my way..and crank her around again to check the other two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts