SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I had been looking around on these forums before I got the bike and did some research. I picked up a 2007 DRZ400SM yesterday with about 13,000 miles. From what I have read, the DRZ is a great bike and reliable at that. I come from the street bike world but when I was younger, I used to have a dirt bike although I am not familiar with dirt bike motors.

I was about an hour from home after picking the bike up yesterday and it all of a sudden died out on me. So I pull off the side of the highway and let it cool down a bit (it was over 100 degrees out.) What happened was that I was just cruisin along and the bike just started loosing power, I tried to give it some gas to keep it running and as I gave it gas the motor would just kinda bog down and by the time I got to about 20mph the bike just died. So after letting it cool, it starts back up and I'm on my way. About 20 minutes after getting it going, it did the same thing again. Only this time the bike wont start at all. So I make the phone call, my buddy came and got me. After letting it sit all nite, it still wont start. I put a little gas in it because it was low, but not that low. Still wont start. I was doing all highway riding for about 2 hours before the bike stopped on me. The bike has a few mods, hotcams, the DRZ400E carb, K&N air filter and I think thats it.

I made a few calls to some friends and explained to them what happened and got some suggestions. I was hoping some of you guys that are more familiar with these motors might know what could be wrong.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome to SMJ!

Check the voltage on the battery, the heat here kills batteries.

always check the easy stuff 1st.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Along the lines of easy stuff first, check that all the old fuel is drained out and get some fresh stuff in there. Bad/old fuel gives some of the same symptoms you described. If it's been sitting around without fuel being run through it the jets in the carburetor will get clogged up with varnish. The jets in the carb may already have been partially clogged when you started home and gotten worse as more crap passed through them. As little as two weeks of inactivity can affect fuel quality and performance. Poor quality fuel from the pump doesn't help matters.

If that indeed was the case, your spark plug could now be fubar as well. Check and/or replace that too. While it's out, check to verify a strong spark from your ignition and eliminate that as a possibilty.

Welcome to SMJ!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts