SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a plated '06 yz450f last night. I'm recovering from an illness, which is why I'm currently researching and decided to sign up here. It still has dirt wheels and tires (along with ice tires that I probably won't use), but I plan on getting supermoto wheels/tires and better front brakes. I like to keep all of my projects 'budget-minded', so I don't have a problem waiting a little bit for a deal on parts to show up. What's a good deal on some used wheels and brakes? Do I just need a rotor, caliper, and caliper relocation mount?

I'll have to go out and check again, but it currently just has a DRC tail-light set-up (brake light switched not installed yet), rear turn signals, and horn. The PO said it runs off a battery-pack that lasts 6-8 hours. He had a headlight on it before, but it burnt out and lost motivation on the project. I know it's harder to get a working headlight on the '06-09 YZ, but I found a thread on TT that explains an economical way to do it. Besides, I don't plan on doing much, if any, night riding. This is just going to be the occasional weekend hooligan bike.

Just by test riding it last night, I can tell it needs different gearing because it easily wheelies in every gear. I know the YZ transmission isn't as good as the WR for street riding, but I read that 15/42 sprockets should help. I'm sure I'll have more to add later that I can't think of now, and I'll try to post a picture of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Snapped a few quick pics because a thread on the internet is worthless without them... I believe it's still set-up for a headlight, but the PO said he was running an HID and it burnt out. I looked at some ways to power the lights for a YZ; WR stator is too expensive to swap out, and a lot of people are saying the moose/electrosport stators are unreliable. My old man has electric rc planes and said a good way to power them is using a couple of 4 cell Lipo batteries that I can alternate with a switch when one gets low, and they should each last several hours if the headlight doesn't require too much power. They're easily rechargeable, so that would be a lot easier than replacing AA batteries that currently power it.

As far as wheels go, I'll be on the lookout for yz450f specific sumo wheels on craigslist and forum classifieds. However, I have seen other people adapt sport bike wheels to keep the cost down (are they much heavier?). Yes, I know that would require modification. I haven't done a lot of research on this specific topic yet, but I work in a machine shop and wouldn't mind making a little project out of it. If anyone that has done this could explain what all is involved, that would be much appreciated.

I thought it might be an '08 before I saw it in person because it has the black flywheel cover and a short stock muffler, but the VIN and title prove that it is in fact an '06... Overall the bike seemed pretty clean, and it fired up right away in 35 degree weather. Suspension was done by pro-action supposedly, but I don't know if it was set up for street or dirt, nor what weight it's for, unfortunately. I will say that I'm more of a 2-stroke guy as far as riding dirt bikes, but I've wanted a motard for a while and couldn't pass this up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found some wheels, and since I need an odometer on the bike, I figure I might as well do as much as possible when I put wheels on. Something like the Trail tech vapor is nice, but I won't need that many features and don't want to spend that much. The Endurance model is a little cheaper, but I don't like the digital tach they have. Are there any other options that still look good? Also, will the trail tech computer or other odometers keep track of the miles with just a battery pack/lipo that I'll be removing and plugging back in to re-charge?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome, sorry a little late to say hi! Good to see other motards in Minnesota. I'm just east of St. Paul, where are you located? We need more people for group rides in the summer months. I have a Trail Tech Vapor mounted on my KTM and like it. It's wasn't too pricey IMO and bought it locally through Dennis Kirk. I bought it so I would have RPM and coolant temp. Nice bike and good luck on the build. I'm looking for a dirt bike myself, but purely for dirt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, sorry a little late to say hi! Good to see other motards in Minnesota. I'm just east of St. Paul, where are you located? We need more people for group rides in the summer months. I have a Trail Tech Vapor mounted on my KTM and like it. It's wasn't too pricey IMO and bought it locally through Dennis Kirk. I bought it so I would have RPM and coolant temp. Nice bike and good luck on the build. I'm looking for a dirt bike myself, but purely for dirt.
Thanks, I don't see many in the summer, which is kind of surprising with so many bikers. I'm in northern Anoka county, but I go to a church in St. Paul. I found a TT Endurance for $70, which isn't bad, but I'm just looking for any other ideas. I've been riding dirt and street bikes (just picked up an xr200 for trail riding), and I'm pumped to ride this bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike is almost ready for the street, and it's really warming up here. Needs to rain a few times to clean the roads off though. Wheels from toxicmoto on, front caliper was tough to get on, new 15T front sprocket (need a bigger case guard now), kickstand, shortened the chain. Still need to get the headlight hooked up, the brake light switch installed, and figure out what battery pack I'm going to use since I'm tossing the AA battery box. The wiring was kind of a mess, so I got my old man to help out since he is itching to ride it as well... I took it down the neighborhood and first gear isn't as bad as I thought it would be. This thing is going to be a blast. Hopefully I can get it all sorted out this week...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it for a real test drive today. Everything works, cruises pretty good at 55mph, just gotta do some finishing touches and it will be ready for my weekend warrior bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright, so I'm not 100% done as there's a couple things I want to add in the future, but here is the stock look that I was going for.

Also, I have a 15T sprocket on the front and the guard won't fit on there without rubbing on the chain. Did those of you that use it grind it down first?

·
Registered
16 Posts
:cheers:

Sick bike ! Awesome to see another dude from Mn! I'm from Duluth if you ever make it to the area.. Are you on mnsumo??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Yes I am. I don't think I'll make it up there with the sumo, but me and a buddy are planning to ride up the north shore on our street bikes within the next month.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YZ to WR

Alright, I just have some quick questions, so I didn't want start a new thread. I just picked up a plated 2008 WR450F and will be swapping the Warp 9 wheel set over from my 2006 YZ450F. After a quick search, it looks like they are the same wheels. Can anyone confirm that? I know the stock speedo won't work and it looks like I need new front wheel spacers for the wheels to work on the WR. Can I buy some YZ front wheel spacers? I wanted to run factory speedo, but most are suggesting the Trail Tech Vapor. Is that the best option? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts