SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on my first true sumo ride with a buddy from work the other day, we hit some good twisties and then decided to take it off into some trails. I informed him that I didn't have any off-road experience and would be taking it easy and getting to know how the bike handled in these situations. Well that is what I told him at least...I ended up getting sucked into the fun I was having and as we were heading down the mountain road on the last corner of dirt I ended up locking the back wheel as I was trying to brake and slow down for the corner. The back end started to slide out to the left which was fine as I still felt in control and then I hit some rain ruts that were pretty decent sized and it caused the bike to gain traction and highside. End result was a broken left clavicle which is going to need some screws and plates and a big life lesson, don't ride above your ability which I had forgotten since I wasn't in my normal element and still a newb to off-road riding. I know better than to try and keep up yet ignored that little voice in my head, I'm just glad I was wearing the proper gear to keep from getting injured any further and hopefully I'll be back on 2 real soon.

·
Registered
435 Posts
heal quick! sorry to hear the bad news!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to think of it as a learning experience, although I'm wondering if I should have "gassed it out" once the back end broke loose?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I'm sitting at home with a broken collar bone from a high side too. It's going to happen.:lol: I wouldn't ponder on it to long. Get healed up and get back on the horse.

·
Registered
133 Posts
heal up quick, i was thrown off my bike as a guy tried to pass on the same lane now i got busted up knees its hard to stay off the bike and let my legs heal..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
y'all forgot the important question...
How's the bike!!!

jk heal up quick.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Had the same thing happen a couple years ago (minus the injury), made me real leary of off road on the street tires on a 300lb bike. Hope you heal up quick man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any tips out there from those that ride dirt and street on their tard for when I'm able to get back on the bike?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tips:

- Well your instinct to gas out of it is what I would have done. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...

- If you have never ridden off-road, go ride off-road on an off-road bike before you try it on your SuMo. IMO I think all street licenses should be withheld until after training and skills are acquired on dirt.

If you don't know how to lay a bike down on purpose you need to learn. It's a survival skill no one should ride without.

- SuMo tires are NOT especially good on dirt, at least not like knobbies. Yeaaa... On very smooth flattrack type racing surface they are only as much as predictable, but braking (and coming in "Hot" on loose, rutted, mountain, pebble, rocky, sandy surfaces getting the bike into a corner safely (without extensive dirt bike experience) is tricky at best.

- Think first: If you don't know the terrain and the risks associated with MISSING a turn, the only screws needed might be in your coffin.

Glad you're okay. Recover swiftly and get back on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was me he was with :rolleyes2: Sorry again Q. I still feel bad about your situation.

Mo-Tarded makes a good point about Sumo tires in loose gravel/ dirt being sketchy at best, even with us both running Distanzias.

First off, that was not officially a Trail, it was a County Non-Maintained gravel road to a Portion of Larrabee State Park. When your skill set builds we'll show ya some trails.

Heal quick, and next time we will stay on the pavement!:lol:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'm sitting at home with a broken collar bone from a high side too. It's going to happen.:lol: I wouldn't ponder on it to long. Get healed up and get back on the horse.
How did you know you broke it? x-rays or you felt it? I cased it hard on a fast downhill high side and my whole right side arm/shoulder have been in excruciating pain since then - to the point where I still can't move it or sleep on it.. It's been 3 weeks.. when I slammed on it till now kinda feels like my shoulder is dislocated but it's not.. Does that sound familiar or was it different?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hey iv been there done that riding over my head too early in the season or well all the time learning to ride the bigger bikes, Hell i still do it time to time on both my sumos and fz1 but i keep having to remind myself back it out fool slow allows you to ride another day and try again! lol

i dont want to preach at all bro theres more than a million times i could have bit the dust doing the same stuff out of practice. Just heal and get back in the saddle its all about the ride at the end of the day. Even a slow ride is better than no ride! :thumbup:

z

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How did you know you broke it? x-rays or you felt it? I cased it hard on a fast downhill high side and my whole right side arm/shoulder have been in excruciating pain since then - to the point where I still can't move it or sleep on it.. It's been 3 weeks.. when I slammed on it till now kinda feels like my shoulder is dislocated but it's not.. Does that sound familiar or was it different?
Well if you broke your collar bone you would see it pushing your skin up in the location it's broke, confirmed by x-ray. From what you're describing I would go to the doctor and at least get checked, better safe than sorry. But to answer your other question, my affected shoulder is hanging about an inch below my normal so it looks like a dislocation but it's actually a break.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was me he was with :rolleyes2: Sorry again Q. I still feel bad about your situation.

Mo-Tarded makes a good point about Sumo tires in loose gravel/ dirt being sketchy at best, even with us both running Distanzias.

First off, that was not officially a Trail, it was a County Non-Maintained gravel road to a Portion of Larrabee State Park. When your skill set builds we'll show ya some trails.

Heal quick, and next time we will stay on the pavement!:lol:
Dude I told you when it happened not to worry about it, it's a learning experience. If I wanted to stay on the street I wouldn't have bought the tard :thumbup:. Besides look at it this way now you get to ride the Duc for me when I move closer your way :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts