SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! New member. I've been riding for a number of years and have strictly been an off road guy. I'm looking at getting my first bike for the street and I've decided that I want a Supermoto. The easiest option may be to find a used CRF250L and throw the Sumo wheels on there but I'm open to all options.

My budget is 5k (ideally, I'd like to keep it under 4k)

If anybody could suggest a good model to convert or outright buy as is from each manufacturer, that would be great.

There's one other option..
I came across a 2005 DRZ400SM for 600 dollars. The owner bought it from a dealership as a mechanics special and has a salvaged title. He rode it for a few months then something went wrong with the cylinder head and a few other things. It would cost around a grand to repair the engine. Instead of doing that, I was thinking about swapping it out for another DRZ engine or a different single cylinder engine.

If anybody could give me their thoughts on my options and which one may be the better way to go, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
why are you considering a CRF250L? It's pretty much the worst 250 option there is.

IMO if you want a low maintenance EFI sumo on a budget, you should go with a WR250X (or a WR250R and convert it, they're the same basic bike).

https://www.cyclenews.com/2018/03/article/2018-250cc-dual-sport-shootout/ compares the CRF250L, WR250R, KLX250. I guess the 2018 KLX250 got EFI but it's still mostly an early 90s design.

The CRF250L weighs 20lb more than the other 2 options, doesn't have any suspension adjustability beyond rear preload, and I believe makes less power than the other options too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! The main reason I brought up the CRF250L is I also like the idea of doing some ADV riding and that bike would allow me to do both on the same bike (different tires, obviously). Again, I'm open to anything that would make a sweet Sumo for the right price.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You'd be happier with a DRZ400 , 250's are pea shooters. 😂
What he said.

A bike that feels fast off road (Like my YZF250) feels much slower on the tarmac, with more grip and higher average speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a dealership in my city that's selling a 2008 KTM XC 530 W R for $5,000. I put a link to the listing below

Despite the age, is that worth the asking price?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I thought. So what I should be looking for is a WR450F to convert? If so, what years were best for the Sumo conversion?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the reply! The main reason I brought up the CRF250L is I also like the idea of doing some ADV riding and that bike would allow me to do both on the same bike (different tires, obviously). Again, I'm open to anything that would make a sweet Sumo for the right price.
and why couldn't you do that with a WR250R?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and why couldn't you do that with a WR250R?
I could. I just know that the CRF250L's motor is very reliable. I'm open to the WR250R but I haven't done enough research on it/seen enough Sumo mods on that bike to compare it to the Honda. I know that the WR250R is Yamaha's version of a CRF250L and I'm sure it's a well built bike. I just need to do more digging on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I've gathered. I have a few problems with it, though.

1. It's a tall bike. I'm around 5'7. I can already gather from things I've read about the bike that I'll have problems balancing on it. Yes, I can change the suspension and lower it but I do know that the bike sits very high.

2. It's harder to find a used one in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've done a lot of research and at the end of the day, the WR250X looks to be the best bike for my budget. I have two of them for sale in my area. I'm going to list the details of both and any feedback as to which is the better deal would be greatly appreciated.

1. 2009 model with 290cc big bore kit, fmf power commander and extra set of tires. Bike has 18k for miles (although the big bore kit has only been on in the last couple thousand miles).

He's asking $3500

2. 2008 model with mostly stock parts, pro taper bars, grips, mirrors, clutch lever and rear brake). Comes with a few accessories (stand, chain supplies, filters, etc). Has 3,400 miles.

He's asking $3,700

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought the same. the mileage was the only thing that made me pause.
Milage shouldn't, especially if it's only had the big bore on it for a few thousand. I wouldn't even cough. For a 290, that's awesome. Free set of tires too. I'm going to gather by the age of the post you've already made your mind up, and got it, or something else. If you got the 290, post up some pics. I'd love to see it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Milage shouldn't, especially if it's only had the big bore on it for a few thousand. I wouldn't even cough. For a 290, that's awesome. Free set of tires too. I'm going to gather by the age of the post you've already made your mind up, and got it, or something else. If you got the 290, post up some pics. I'd love to see it
I haven't bought it, yet. The guy advertised it in my city but he actually has it back in his hometown. he's just going to college here. I'll try to hit him up in the spring to see if he still has it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts